Thread: My Review: Coded Arms for the PSP

Thanks

Default My Review: Coded Arms for the PSP

This is my first review of a video game. Just wondering if you guys could give me some feedback. Thanks

Title: Coded Arms
    Made by: Konami
    Genre: First Person Shooter

Coded Arms is the very first FPS (First Person Shooter) to come out for the PSP and I have to say, I am pleased with this attempt. While many people may disagree with me, I believe Konami should get more credit for their attempt. Coded Arms could be considered a "linear" FPS, and I would agree with you, and this is where its greatest fault comes in. The game has great weapons, multiple upgrades, many different types of enemies and decent graphics, and Konami should be commended for that. So as I continue with this review, try to keep an open mind.

Story Line: 6/10

All I can say for this is that Konami must have been going for a very simple game. You are a hacker trying to hack into an ex-military training program that has gone astray. Many different hackers have previously attempted to hack this but they ended up being turned into "sleepers", which means if you die in the game, you lose your personality. So here you come in as you try to be one of the "Coded Ones", attempting to beat the system. I have to say that the story is semi-weak, only because there really isn't much of an introduction. Besides a simple text intro there are no cinematics. I wish there were, because hey, who doesn't like a flashy movie of things blowing up? But besides this problem, the lack of a substantial story line should not deter you from Coded Arms, as there are plenty other features that you should enjoy.

Gameplay: 7.5/10

I might as well start off with saying that this is the most difficult part of this review. Coded Arms receives a lot of bad reviews because of the gameplay, and everyone has validity in saying this. Why would they say this? Simply put: Coded Arms' levels are randomly created. However, each level ends up being just a big or small square with multiple objects in the middle, sometimes none at all, and also with other hazardous materials lying around. This can become quite boring sometimes because, you're constantly going from one square room, through a narrow hall, to another square room where multiple enemies are waiting for you.

The weapons in Coded Arms are great. You of course start off with a standard pistol, and you know what? I love it. As simple as it may be, as standard as it may be, there's nothing more satisfying once you kill your first enemy on your PSP (with a FPS). As you progress through the areas and sectors, your own weapons continue to be upgraded as you continue to kill your enemies. While there are enough weapons in this game, you will hear complains that the weapons aren't creative enough. This is true, as this isn't a Half-Life 2 or Halo. You won't get a gravity gun, but you will get weapons that are just as great. My favorite is the shotgun, as it is in any other FPS that I play. Coded Arms also allows for long distance shooting as well, with a sniper rifle, and each gun also has its own zoom in function. Besides using the standard "human" guns, you can also use some of the "Alien" guns, such as a bolt gun, lighting gun and so on.

I also really enjoy the Auto-Aiming feature in Coded Arms. While sometimes Auto Aiming takes the fun out of games (such as Dead to Rights), this is not true in Coded Arms. The Auto-Aim doesn't allow you to hit every thing every single shot. You do have a reticle, and running/jumping will make it larger, making you miss even more. If you aim in the general vicinity of the enemy, your reticle will lock onto the enemy, but will not follow him within reason. You have to stay with the enemy, so don't think it's that easy to kill them.

Now for the actual "killing" part of the game: I thoroughly enjoyed this part. I know it gets monotonous, going from square room to square room, with a 4-10 enemies in each room and then moving on. However, this is the first FPS for the PSP, and what's not to love about blowing away an alien with a shotgun, then moving onto a flying machine that you need to snipe with your sniper rifle? For me, anyway, I don't mind going from room to room because decimating every enemy in each room is great. And as you kill each enemy, they will drop more ammo, different health packs, and weapon upgrades, making that once weak pistol into a good killing weapon.

One part that annoyed me with the game play was that it was almost too easy. As I write this, I cannot say I didn't die a couple times; however, Coded Arms makes sure you don�t run out of ammo very often and you can certainly find enough health packs throughout the levels, so I never really came to the point where if I were hit by one more shot, I'd die. This is a bit frustrating, because you can progress through the entire game without having to get stuck on one level because that boss character is too hard. Again, is this enough to not like the game? Not in any way what so ever.

The enemies are great in this game. I enjoyed (enjoy) them a lot because there's a large variety of them. "Aliens" or "Robots" are great in this game because they each have their own different strength and weaknesses. Little things like the crawling robots that blow up when they get too close, or the little aliens who jump on your face and explode unless you kill them before are elements that keep the gameplay going.

A little side note for the gameplay is the loading times. They are GREAT! I know the rooms are made randomly, and for good reason. I wait on average of 10 seconds for each level to load. Very rarely does it take any longer. Also, I've yet to experience a slowdown in gameplay, as the PSP handles this game very well. This is very good game planning by Konami here, and they should be commended for that.

Graphics: 8.5/10

The Graphics in this game are great. I wasn't expecting this from the first FPS on the PSP in any way at all. They are clean, crisp, and the animations for the guns/enemies/bosses/fire etc. are great. Very rarely did I find any graphic glitches where some polygons didn't fit correctly. This is a great improvement from other games that I also own (Fifa and MVP are full of glitches). This is why Konami had been constantly delaying the release, because they'd been cleaning up the game, and they did an amazing job at it.

I guess you could also include the lack of cinematics as graphics, and you know what? It really doesn't matter much (graphic wise) as they aren't needed. So don't even worry about that: the in-game graphics are what really count, right?

Controls: 6.5/10

This is also one of the weaker sides of Coded Arms. The controls in this game gave me some difficulty... at first. This is why they make you do a mandatory tutorial in the beginning, to get used to the controls. However, Konami had been expecting this, and allowed you to change the controls to however you'd like them. This is great as I was able to change the default controls to what I wanted. I prefer the controls that you look around with the analog stick, and move around with the triangle, x, o and square buttons. I find once you get used to the controls, you can hit what/where you want to. However, I did find some problems with sniping as the analog stick is a bit too sensitive. But once you get used to the controls, however you like them, shooting will become second nature. In my honest opinion, who needs the amazing "touch screen" that the DS offers, when the PSP can compete with it just as well?

Sounds: 7.5/10

Well there's not very much to say about the sounds of Coded Arms. You have your standard explosions, your gun shots, your reloading sounds and of course no FPS can live without, crazy Japanese Techno Music. Actually, the music fits this game quite well, as it turns on when you're in a room with enemies, which is always helpful if you don't see any. But I do have to stress that this is the first FPS for the PSP and nothing should be expected to be great. Some may think the sounds are too plain and boring, and you may be right, but I find them to fit the game very well, and I imagine the sounds in the PSP games will improve constantly (don't compare it to Lumines sound because that's all Lumines is about )

Overall: 7.5/10

In the end, I enjoyed Coded Arms a lot. You can't expect greatness from the first FPS on the PSP. It takes time for a certain type of game to do well, as the developers need to see what works and what doesn't. I believe people put too much emphasis on Coded Arms� weaker points, when they should really take a look at the stronger points.

Is this game worth the money? I really can't say. I bought it, and I'm happy that I did. I've read the review at Gamespot and such, but it really comes down to if you want to play a FPS on the go with your PSP, and I did. I'd give Konami a pat on the back and ask them "So when's Coded Arms 2 coming out?" Because I'm ready for the next FPS for the PSP.

Coded Arms is a great start on the PSP and shows all those who didn't believe a FPS could work on the PSP that in fact, it can.

Doh004
    Written on July 23, 2005
    [email protected]

<a href="http://www.dohgames.com">Doh Games</a>- All the games, without the confusion.<br>
    <ul><li>Tons of Roms</li>
    <li>NO BS, NO advertisements, NO forced votes!</li>

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds good man, nice review. We actually used to have a review section on the main page of EP but it hasn't been updated in a while. Wonder if it'd be possible for me to get it up and running again, hmm...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic
    Sounds good man, nice review. We actually used to have a review section on the main page of EP but it hasn't been updated in a while. Wonder if it'd be possible for me to get it up and running again, hmm...
    Perhaps. I could write some more reviews of the other PSP games I have. I don't care really about other systems so don't ask me to write about those

<a href="http://www.dohgames.com">Doh Games</a>- All the games, without the confusion.<br>
    <ul><li>Tons of Roms</li>
    <li>NO BS, NO advertisements, NO forced votes!</li>

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I think I'm gonna buy this once the PSP launches in EU. I've soon beaten Metal Gear Acid so I need a new game, but I'm short on cash so I can't import...

Nice review though.

Thanks

that review is amazing. it makes me want to play the game. you are very skilled with words. keep writing reviews man.

off topic: my first post here

Thanks

nice review for coded arms, i was going to buy it later this month so now that i know that it is good then i can get it