Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I work a PSX Emulator?

Thanks

Default How do I work a PSX Emulator?

< If you don't want to read all of this crap, scroll down to the bottom for a list of things I need directly >

Okay. This is my first ( and possibly only ) time using a PSX Emulator. I don't have a disk for the original game. The game I've been wanting to try is Xenogears ( Had it on a Demo disk a long time ago, been wanting to play the full version ever since ). I'm in the process of downloading part 1 of Xenogears Disk ONE download.

My question is. What kind of emulator do you prefer for this kind of game?

What will I need to install, where should I set what up at, etc?

The only bad idea for playing a PSX game on the computer is how I don't have any kind of remote that can adapt to the computer. So I'll be stuck with a keyboard. However, a Turn-based RPG like Xenogears shouldn't present too much of a hassle.

I need a kind of emulator that won't crash on me when running a game like Xenogears, which is why I'm asking directly which kind of Emulator is preferred. What kind of plug-ins, BIOs ( Okay, so maybe I don't even need BIOs, but again; I'm new to this. I don't know what I do, or don't need! ) and anything else I might need. Hopefully whoever replies to this can lend me a helping hand, along with links for downloads.

Thanks for the help. I'll be patient, considering it'll be probably around tomorrow until I can play this.

I can roughly, though accurately present what my Computer is on.

The graphics cards is pretty nice in my opinion, it's able to run games like GunZ: The Duel, Ragnarok Online, and Conquer Online pretty nicely. I don't know how to check what it is exactly, but that should be able to presenthow good it is ( Should be good enough... )

My RAM is a crappy 128MB. I'm not sure if this is enough to run a PSX game on my computer, but I'm willing to give it a try. It can't honestly be that bad ( GunZ says I should have 256MB RAM to play it. But I play it without any kind of lag on a cable connection with only 128MB RAM ).

I'm hoping this will help determine that I will, and won't need. Thanks again.

Edit: I was reading around to hopefully find some answers to my questions, and what I came across what some talk about how you could burn all this stuff onto CD, and actually use that CD to play on your PSX with. This intrigues me. Can anyone tell me how to do all this, if it's possible?

Also. If this post is so blatantly obvious that it deserves to be deleted. At least give me the chance to read the replies when I get back on tomorrow? Thanks again. Sorry for all the newb questions, I just really have no idea.

What I Need:

1* An Emulator that would be best for Xenogears for the Playstation.

2* Everything I'd need to get Xenogears playable ( I'm getting the ISO's from this website now, but I'm sure I'll need much more then that. Please include links to what I'll need! )

3* When it's all said and done, how would I go about burning Xenogears onto a disk, and going to play it on my Playstation?

4* Links to any guides that I might have missed that will answer all of these questions. Hopefully something easy enough to understand that a complete newbie like myself would comprehend it all.
    Last edited by Crysillion; 23rd-July-2005 at 04:53.

Thanks

try this, should have all the info you need under playstation
    http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=23389

Thanks

I've already been there, and read up on the ISO guide. It doesn't really answer my question. It doesn't tell me how to make a CD exactly. Only that I get some...some...image program thing..and... I just don't get it.

Thanks

1. The emu you probably should use for this game is epsxe which you can get here http://www.epsxe.com/

2. you will need a BIOS file I've uploaded the SCPH-1001 and SCPH-7502 BIOS files for you which you can download here http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...W2FTKATHS5BXL4

as for the correct plugins it depends on your PC some specs would help in getting the right setup for you

3. For burning it depends on the iso format to know which burning program to use. if you have room on your hard drive you don't even need to burn the discs. You can mount the iso's on a virtual drive using a program like daemon tools http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php or even boot the iso itself inside epsxe, but booting an iso directly from epsxe can cause problems espeacially if this game has any audio tracks.
    My PSX List Currently 1055 games PSX Request List
    Yousendit upcoming uploads:

Thanks

I'm not sure how to check my PC specs?

Thanks

if your using windows XP goto the start menu. Select setting then control panel. A window will open double click on System another window will pop which will tell you the type and how fast your processor is. To find out about your video card goto the hardware tab on this same window and select device manager. Another window will pop up. Hit the + next to display adapters and it should list the type of card your using

Thanks

Intel Celeron processor
    901 MHz, 128 MB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 ( Microsoft Corporation )

Thanks

2. you will need a BIOS file I've uploaded the SCPH-1001 and SCPH-7502 BIOS files for you which you can download here http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...FW2FTKATHS5BXL4

as for the correct plugins it depends on your PC some specs would help in getting the right setup for you

3. For burning it depends on the iso format to know which burning program to use. if you have room on your hard drive you don't even need to burn the discs. You can mount the iso's on a virtual drive using a program like daemon tools http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php or even boot the iso itself inside epsxe, but booting an iso directly from epsxe can cause problems espeacially if this game has any audio tracks.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

The one about BIOS is more simpler. I'm guessing I extract these two files into the BIOS folder that comes with the PSX emulator you suggested. I also assume I extract these Xenogears ISO's into the ISO folder from the PSX emulatore you suggested. But the stuff about Daemon's Tools and stuff, it just loses me.

Thanks

I guess another emulator you can use is emurayden its really easy to use & you dont need to download a bios to use it or plugins.

i can upload it if you want to check it

and also about epsxe it can crash while playing xenogears you need to press f7 in a cutscene.crashed near the end in a boss...etc.

But i dont know how emurayden plays that game,i dont ever play xenogears with emurayden but i guess its worth to give it a try.

I upload it in a few minutes i reply here.

Thanks

Oh... Wtf. Man. Well I need an emulator that'd actually WORK. Not crash like this EpsxE one apparently would. You're not sure about this other emulator you talk about, I don't know. Plus it not needing BIOs or Plugin's sounds faulty. Whichever. I just need something that'd work. I also need an answer to my previous post on this topic.

Thanks

looks like a found anohter guide you can take a look at http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/epsxeguide.htm

I reccomend the Pete's D3D graphics plugin with minimal settings because your PC is on the slow side, but should still have enough power to run PSX games. You should just be able to pick the fast option and get pretty much the best setup for you. You'll probably need to mess with the fps options for best speeds which will be easier to help you with after you've gotten things setup to know how it runs with the basic settings. The sound plugin I use is P.E.Op.S DSound which you might want to try, As for Cd-rom plugin there are quite a few available which you should try to see which gives you the best performance with you cd/dvd drive.

Thanks

Haruspex informed me that ePSXe crashes frequently on Xenogears. KNow of any other emulator that'd be good?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crysillion
    2. you will need a BIOS file I've uploaded the SCPH-1001 and SCPH-7502 BIOS files for you which you can download here http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...FW2FTKATHS5BXL4

This doesn't make much sense to me.

The one about BIOS is more simpler. I'm guessing I extract these two files into the BIOS folder that comes with the PSX emulator you suggested. I also assume I extract these Xenogears ISO's into the ISO folder from the PSX emulatore you suggested. But the stuff about Daemon's Tools and stuff, it just loses me.

The Bios files you just extract into the bios folder and choose the one you want to use in the epsxe options

your incorrect with the iso you don't need to place them anywhere special the folder is there just for a suggestion it's best to burn the game though.

As for daemon tools it's a program that will create a virtual cd-drive on your computer. It basically fools your pc into thinking it has a new cd/dvd-rom drive. It allows you to mount an iso file and your computer will think you have a burnt cd in this new drive. You would then just need to configure epsxe to read from the new drive which is easy to do.

Thanks

Xenogears is just a weird game and other emulators have worse troubles. I reccomend epsxe because it has the highest compatibility rate with PSX games.

Thanks

OKay. So where do I put the ISO's for Xenogears?