Page 102 of 148 FirstFirst ... 25292979899100101102103104105106107112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2207

Thread: Metal Music Discussion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithDaPlan View Post
    Metal music is fucking boring, aside from a few exceptions. It seems like everytime I hear a band, it's like generic chugga chugga, lame lightspeed solos with little musicality (objective of course), predictable chord changes, whiny vocals, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like some metal, but I really think most of it sucks. I'm sorry if this came as flame, but this is metal music discussion after all, not appreciation. I would like to know what you guys like about metal.
    Do you like unpredictable song structures? There are plenty of bands that can satisfy that lust for you if you get bored with the same old 4/4 no-tempo-change, no surprises metal. And you don't need to dive into avant-garde über-technical territory to find bands that avoid predictable song structures, if technical music isn't your thing there are plenty of simpler bands that can provide the same enjoyment. You're just not going to hear a great deal of experimentation from any remotely popular bands. You're not going to hear anything different besides chugga chugga from *some* old bands like Obituary or Bolt Thrower that are still putting out records, assuming you listened to these bands. I hate "metalhead culture" as much as the next person, I don't really associate myself with average metal listeners because outside of some popular bands I do like I don't share very much in common with most.

Sure, there is no "big thing" happening in metal nowadays(besides metalcore, which is bleh and only provided 1 worthwhile band in it's 10 years of existence and hundreds of offspring). But I ask, why must there be a new revolutionary "scene" or trend in order for bands to be enjoyable and worth seeking out? Frankly I think that's nonsense, I don't know about you, but the best bands out there (not exclusively in metal) are not the ones that you can easily label/group with another "scene" or regional area due to their sound, they're the ones that do something profoundly original and different from what everyone else is doing(and most importantly: is GOOD).

Say a band tomorrow wants to use bossanova elements in thrash metal(ok most genre fusions are gimmicks but you get the point), that could be an example, but as soon as there are 6 bands doing the same, what is the point?

Give me some Kronos, Spawn of Possession, Lykathé, Wormed, Gojira, Deathspell Omega, Sólstafir, Mithras, and so on. Bands that -though you could associate with whatever metal due to their approach- share absolutely nothing in common with any other band. They create sounds of their own, not follow some new doctrine in playing metal.

Over time I've grown to like different kinds of non-rock/metal-associated music. I like me some Bela Fleck, Pat Metheny, a handful industrial artists, Neil Young, and have recently developed a strong interest in early 80's british punk. In my experience the only people that really burn out of it are ones that listen to the same stuff for simply way too long(eg: Slayer and Metallica, I cannot count the amount of 30 year olds that said they used to like them). Lack of variety will kill anyone's interest in music.

I see where you're coming from, I don't think I'd still have much interest in metal if I still only listened to Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Opeth, Slayer, Symphony X, Children of Bodom, etc.

That's not to say I still like most of these bands, just that listens are few and far apart, but still provide the same enjoyment they did when I first heard them. But to say there's zero innovation going on is totally ludicrous. It would be like assuming that all jazz is Holdsworth and Joe Pass and that it hasn't changed in 20 years.

Edit: To answer your question: I like the bands that I like because they make music that is fulfilling to listen to. My favorite bands/artists just happen to be mostly metal bands.
    ---------------

I got the new DSO, and it's pretty boring, does anyone like this new approach?
    Last edited by Soeru; 6th-August-2007 at 07:28.

Thanks

I don't mind the new DsO approach, but I still need to give the album a few more listens before I can make a proper decision on it. I do prefer Monumentum to Kenose and the new one, but I don't dislike the new direction.

BTW Soeru, which metalcore band do you consider worthwhile?

On another note, the new Ministry album has leaked and thus far it's pretty decent. Nothing mindblowing, but listenable metal/electro along the lines of their last one, possibly edging more towards the electro side. I just wish the bass drum was a little meatier, you can barely hear it under the snare and tom.

Thanks

Yeah I don't think the new DSO sucks but... it kinda feels like if Spawn of Possession tried to make black metal. Not pretty. I do give them credit though, this is probably the most technical straight up BM I've ever heard, but the music doesn't really transmit anything to me so far. SMRC was genius, don't like their earlier ones though(as I don't like most BM of this style), I was kinda hoping for something like SMRC.

The only metalcore band I can really sit through and like is Between the Buried and Me. Way more depth and variety than any other metalcore I've heard. Granted they're not 100% metalcore but they're great. Clean passages, some pretty decent riffs they seem to have acquired from Devourment, virtuouso-ish solos and nifty dynamic vocals. Doesn't sound like metalcore does it? Alaska is the one I like the most.

I've also heard some Psyopus, which annoy the fuck out of most metalheads to no end, but I kinda like it. Kinda like a Gorguts' "Obscura" approach to metalcore, but I've only heard 2 songs, maybe I can grow to hate them if I download their album.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithDaPlan View Post
    Yeah, I would really like to see something like a combination of a good metal band (like the afforementioned maudlin of the well) and a band like Ghost (noise art/psychedelic stuff) if just for experimentation. What I'm thinking is not necessarily a mix of genres, but maybe just expanding on the music ideas themselves. Stop worrying about playing diatonically all the time, and complex music is not changing key signatures constantly (although it seems many bands *cough*DREAM THEATER*generic cough* think so).
    If you're looking for some obscenely dissonant stuff I would suggest Gorguts' "Obscura". You're going to hate the fuck out of it at first though, but after a few listens you might get to like the massive depth within the music. It's not noise like Merzsbow or anything like that, but if you're looking for some truly experimental music that just happens to fall into the death metal category you'll probably like it. Pay no heed to the band's name, there is no gore/slasher theme at all.
    Last edited by Soeru; 6th-August-2007 at 10:15.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    The only metalcore band I can really sit through and like is Between the Buried and Me. Way more depth and variety than any other metalcore I've heard. Granted they're not 100% metalcore but they're great. Clean passages, some pretty decent riffs they seem to have acquired from Devourment, virtuouso-ish solos and nifty dynamic vocals. Doesn't sound like metalcore does it? Alaska is the one I like the most.

I've also heard some Psyopus, which annoy the fuck out of most metalheads to no end, but I kinda like it. Kinda like a Gorguts' "Obscura" approach to metalcore, but I've only heard 2 songs, maybe I can grow to hate them if I download their album.
    I've heard a little bit of Psyopus and wasn't too impressed. Nothing bad about them, I just didn't think they stacked up to the praise they were getting from a lot of tech-death fans.

I'll look into BtBaM, sounds like they're pretty interesting. I normally write off metalcore and especially deathcore as being a pale imitation of the slam-death style, but they look odd enough to get a proper listen.

edit: If we're talking odd bands, I'll namedrop Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus. Basically a tech-grind band, but the technicality lies in the constantly shifting riffs rather than odd time signatures and harmonics. Very harsh sound overall, somewhat akin to Scum's production, especially as the production shifts from track to track.

Also Soeru, you might appreciate Infected Malignity's first album. It's brutal death metal in the vein of Internal Suffering or Devourment, but the whole album is taken to such extremes that it's almost a deliberate self-parody. Still excellent music though.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 6th-August-2007 at 10:31.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    I've heard a little bit of Psyopus and wasn't too impressed. Nothing bad about them, I just didn't think they stacked up to the praise they were getting from a lot of tech-death fans.

I'll look into BtBaM, sounds like they're pretty interesting. I normally write off metalcore and especially deathcore as being a pale imitation of the slam-death style, but they look odd enough to get a proper listen.

edit: If we're talking odd bands, I'll namedrop Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus. Basically a tech-grind band, but the technicality lies in the constantly shifting riffs rather than odd time signatures and harmonics. Very harsh sound overall, somewhat akin to Scum's production, especially as the production shifts from track to track.

Also Soeru, you might appreciate Infected Malignity's first album. It's brutal death metal in the vein of Internal Suffering or Devourment, but the whole album is taken to such extremes that it's almost a deliberate self-parody. Still excellent music though.
    Haha, sounds good, I'll check out both of these. I'm a fan of tons of riffs more than time signature changes myself, so this should be fun. I've heard of IM previously too. Btw I just got the new Malignancy album and it's sounding pretty damned good.

Have you heard Inveracity? It's fucking awesome Suffo-tight stuff, they put out a new record this year and it's very nice.

Yeah most metalcore/deathcore pretty much just feels like "dollar store metal" to me, you know, something that gets the job done fast but doesn't last for long.

Thanks

Just adding that BTBAM are one of the best bands in the world, and their self titled is their best record.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru View Post
    Have you heard Inveracity? It's fucking awesome Suffo-tight stuff, they put out a new record this year and it's very nice.
    I'll look into them. There's not really a lot of good death metal out there when you get down to it.

Thanks

I like Megadeth, I think you should too.

Thanks

Speaking of Megadeth, the line-up for Gigantour Australia 2007 is a complete abortion except for Megadeth.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ton View Post
    Speaking of Megadeth, the line-up for Gigantour Australia 2007 is a complete abortion except for Megadeth.....
    The Gigantour lineups usually are.

It's a sad day when lone metal bands can pull up a decent support act and put on a better lineup than an entire tour, but it's been happening an awful lot lately.

Thanks

The American ones have had some good stuff on them like Nevermore, Overkill, Dream Theater, etc, but both Aussie ones haven't had very good line ups at all.

Thanks

filling your #Emuparadise logs in irc since 2001

Thanks

secondly i've just gotten into 1394. I didn't realize how good they were..

filling your #Emuparadise logs in irc since 2001

Thanks

Ha. Nevermore. They're a kick to the balls of power metal everywhere.

Avantasia and Maiden headlining Wacken 08, motherfucking awesome or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sokoma View Post
    secondly i've just gotten into 1394. I didn't realize how good they were..
    Yes, 1349 are great. Hellfire is awesome.

Thanks

Aside from Primal Scream's XTRMNTR, there hasn't been a single innovative Metal record since the early 90s.