Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feudal Japan Inspired Games

Thanks

Default Feudal Japan Inspired Games

I would consider myself a collector of such games, but there are many that are unknown to me. I'm looking for games of all platforms old and new, that are inspired by feudal japanese culture (samurai, ninja). List off any you know of, and even give a short review if you like. Thanks.
    Last edited by tenchijin; 5th-June-2005 at 14:05.
    The Man With The Straw Hat

Thanks

You probably have heard of Kessen. A strategy series for the PS2. I think it reached part three, but I'll have to make sure. Save for the awfully long attack sequences, the game is pretty decent. Certainly delightful if you're a fan of the whole samurai dealy. Onimusha could fall under that category too, as the main character is a demon-whopping samurai with the power to devour their souls, also for the PS2. There's a good deal that fit your description actually, now that you got me thinking. The Tenchu series (PSOne, PS2), the Nightshade/Shinobi series (Genesis/PS2), the Bushido Blade series (PSX), Way of the Samurai (PS2), Kengo (PS2), to name a few.

Thanks
    EP Points

Inindo Way of the Ninja for SNES, great game. The nubunaga games are another batch

Thanks

Samurai Warriors for PS2 never played though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I've played Samurai Warriors (PS2), its fun if you play it with a friend.
    Megalith is right, Kessen III (PS2) is already out.
    Another good series is the The Last Ninja for old comps.. yeah i'm feeling retro
    Ah, I forgot the Dynasty Series (Dynasty Warriors and Dynasty Tactics) (PS2)
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 5th-June-2005 at 15:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

The first thing that comes to my mind is Soul of the Samurai, for PSX. Although, has some fictional parts too, with zombies, demon-like creatures and Resident Evil-like frightening parts... well, kinda.

And I'll join Megalith and also recommend Bushido Blade. One of the best fighting games... a masterpiece.

Thanks
    EP Points

The games that come first to my mind are various Snk fighters, Samurai Showdown, Last Blade and Ninja Masters, maybe more.

There's an old dos strategy game called Sword of the Samurai, it was developed by (or with the help of) the famous Sid Meier I believe. And then there's Ninja Burai densetsu, it's for the Sega Genesis. It's a bit similar to Shining Force, but only available in Japanese.

Finally, the Goemon series, which is in a way inspired by feudal japan I believe, though it contains things that clearly have no place there ..just think about the robots.
    http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/goemon/goemon.htm

Thanks
    EP Points

haha i love the Goemon series, I dont see how I totally forgot about it. Play the SNES one with a friend to have fun Me and my friends did that for hours at a time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Kengo seems like a good game. Sticks to traditions quite well. You have to meditate and practice to improve your skills, and there are duels with wooden or real swords. Interesting.

Ah. Shogun: Total War. A strategy game for the PC, where the tactics count for as much as strategy. You have to guide a daimyo during the Sengoku Jidai. You have shinobi and ninja at your disposal, and of course, armies. The battles are really well-made, you have to consider the terrain, weather, and morale very carefully.

Bushido Blade is also a must. You must fight not only skillfully, but honourably. If you don't, you'll fail. Slow pacing makes this more of a fighting game than any other.

And finally, one of my personal favourites, Battle Realms. A real-time strategy for PC again, in an eastern-mystical setting, with lots of innovation. Try it.

Thanks

thanks a lot guys, real helpful. I love the Tenchu Series, and Shogun: Total War is a game I always find myself playing. I love the board game style campaign style.
    The Man With The Straw Hat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borman
    Inindo Way of the Ninja for SNES, great game. The nubunaga games are another batch

Yes! That game is one of my favs for the SNES

Thanks
    EP Points

Haha, awesome. Almost no one I know knows about the game, and they all look at me funny I love playing the bingo mini game in it hehe. Me and my friend play it at least once a year, cool game with all the different characters and everything

Thanks

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Battle Nexus (PC) has a few levels in Feudal Japan . . . Not sure if a beat-em-up qualifies for high-brow entertainment, though . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
    I've played Samurai Warriors (PS2), its fun if you play it with a friend.
    Megalith is right, Kessen III (PS2) is already out.
    Another good series is the The Last Ninja for old comps.. yeah i'm feeling retro
    Ah, I forgot the Dynasty Series (Dynasty Warriors and Dynasty Tactics) (PS2)
    The dynasty series is set in China, but still is a great series worth playing.
    Trogdor, Trogdor

Trogdor was a man
    Uhh...Maybe he was a Dragon-Man
    Uhh...Maybe he was just a Dragon
    Uhm...but he was still

Trogdor, Trogdor

Burninating the countryside
    Burninating the peasants
    Buriniating all the people
    in their Thatched Roof Cottages

Thatched Roof Cottages

And The Trogdor Comes in The Night.