Thread: Questions

Thanks

Default Questions

Alright I'm new to the whole emulation scene. I recently bought a Dreamcast, but sadly not many games were in the store. So I came home and read that you can get burned games to work on it. I'm interested in this, and wanna know how to do it. So I googled it and got all these confusing tutorials about burning wit something called nero, and tons of other stuff I don't know about. So I was wondering if someone could tell me how to do this. Also where I could find some roms for my Dreamcast, I've yet to find any. Any help is appericiated....

Thanks

You can find Dreamcast ISOs right here. If you can use BitTorrent, take a look at the tracker. To burn the games you need a burning program. There are plenty, Nero being one of them. Other good program for DC ISOs is DiscJuggler. You might succeed in creating a selfboot disc also with Alcohol 120 % and CloneCD.

So here are the steps:

1. Download the ISO.
    2. Extract the file(s) with WinRAR (www.rarlabs.com)
    3. Burn the image file that appeared after extraction using one of those programs.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    You can find Dreamcast ISOs right here. If you can use BitTorrent, take a look at the tracker. To burn the games you need a burning program. There are plenty, Nero being one of them. Other good program for DC ISOs is DiscJuggler. You might succeed in creating a selfboot disc also with Alcohol 120 % and CloneCD.

So here are the steps:

1. Download the ISO.
    2. Extract the file(s) with WinRAR (www.rarlabs.com)
    3. Burn the image file that appeared after extraction using one of those programs.
    Be careful though as games will not boot on your system unless it was produced before 2001. (I think that's the right date... )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Be careful though as games will not boot on your system unless it was produced before 2001. (I think that's the right date... )
    Was it October 2001? And that only applies to NTSC consoles. I heard that all PAL Dreamcast consoles can boot burned discs.

EDIT: Used search. If your console is NTSC, it has to be made before October 2000. If it is PAL, you have no problems (unless the game doesn't support PAL)
    Last edited by GODJonez; 25th-April-2005 at 22:32.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Wait wat does 120% alcohol mean? and where can i get cloneCD at? And I can use DiscJuggler for burning? Is it free? Because Nero isn't and I don't have money to buy stuff. I'm so lost, hopefully I'll pick up on this stuff soon. BTW I have this thing called bitcommet, but I don;t know how to use it.]

edt: is there a certain model number that def plays burned games, cause I can go check mine

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by peruso
    Wait wat does 120% alcohol mean? and where can i get cloneCD at? And I can use DiscJuggler for burning? Is it free? Because Nero isn't and I don't have money to buy stuff. I'm so lost, hopefully I'll pick up on this stuff soon. BTW I have this thing called bitcommet, but I don;t know how to use it.]

edt: is there a certain model number that def plays burned games, cause I can go check mine
    It's the date that's important, before October 2000 and your OK, loads of useful info here...

http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_backup_faq.shtml#6.1

And BitCommet is piss easy to use, all you need to do is grab a torrent file from the tracker (http://70.85.9.138:6969/) double click it, choose where you want to save it and....that's it.....

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Was it October 2001? And that only applies to NTSC consoles. I heard that all PAL Dreamcast consoles can boot burned discs.

EDIT: Used search. If your console is NTSC, it has to be made before October 2000. If it is PAL, you have no problems (unless the game doesn't support PAL)
    Ah cool is that true? All PAL Dreamcasts play backups?

ROCK

I'll go and get one tomorrow if that's the case, I wonder if refurbished PAL machines will work too
    Last edited by Richardstone; 25th-April-2005 at 23:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

The manufactured date is on the bottom on that little sticker. It will have somehting that should look like

MANUFACTURE August,

Thanks

Here's a guide on how to emulate Dreamcast. There's also some stuff on how to make a self-boot so you can play on your console.

Ok, it took me a while to get everything right when emulating Dreamcast. First off, you need the Dreamcast emulator. Although there are many emulators out there, one is placed high above all the others. It's called Chankast, and you can get it here:

http://chanka.emulatronia.com/FrameSetDC_Down.htm

Now, once you've configured it all (controls and whatnot), you need to be able to play the games for Dreamcast. These games are called 'ISOs' in the emulation world. They could also be known as 'ROMs'. While you can find them most anywhere, I suggest finding them here, emuparadise is FULL of DC ISOs. As you download, please be aware that these games are not meant to be small. They often range from 200MB-1024MB(1GB), so if you're on dial-up, I hope you are a very patient person. Anywho, after downloading these ISOs, you need to change the format of the file so that when run in Chankast (the emulator), the game will boot, or start up, on its own. In order to do this, you must have two programs: 'DAEMON Tools' & 'DiscJuggler'. I can't help you find 'DiscJuggler' one for legal reasons, so I suggest looking in torrent sites or peer-to-peer networks (p2p). I can, however, tell you that DAEMON Tools can be found here:

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php

Now, the reason we use DAEMON Tools is because we need to be able to put the game's image onto a CD drive, so that we can eventually convert it. The problem is, WE DON'T HAVE A CD DRIVE TO PUT THE IMAGE ON. This is where DAEMON Tools comes in. It is used to create one or more 'Virtual disk drives'. This meaning that we can mount, or put, an image of a CD onto a drive that doesn't exist physically. AWESOME! ! So now, we need to set up DAEMON Tools so that it will work properly. So, run DAEMON Tools and go down to the 'Quick Launch' menu in Windows (bottom-right hand corner). The icon is either a red or blue lightening bolt, depending on which version you've got. Right-click the icon hover over 'Virtual CD/DVD-ROM' and select 'Set number of devices...'. This basically makes however many virtual drives you please. Example: If you want to mount 2 images, select 2 drives or greater. If you only want one, select 1 drive. I use 3 so I don't have to keep unmounting and switching the image. After this, you'll be prompted to restart your computer. Do that and, don't worry, I'll be here when you get back. I'll mark your place with a smiley so you remember where you left off reading.

Back? Alrighty. Now here comes the tricky part. Our goal is to get the converted image mounted so that we can play it in Chankast. Now, unRAR or unzip the folder the ISO came in. There should be one file if you are using my ISOs, but if you find multiple files, choose the one with the largest size or one with a .ccd extension. When I say 'choose', I mean LEFT-CLICK the DAEMON Tools icon in the Quick Launch menu and select one of the virtual drives that you set. A menu will pop up asking which image you want to mount to the drive you selected. The good thing about this menu is that it only shows the compatible file types that you are allowed to mount, so choose the file that you unRARed or unzipped. You may have to experiment with this for a while if you aren't sure which file to choose. Hooray! You're 50% done!

Now we have to convert the mounted image to the right format to run in Chankast. This file type has the extension of '.cdi'. If you haven't downloaded 'DiscJuggler' already, do it now. After you download and run that mofo, you will be prompted with 2 choices. One choice is to convert the image (game) and then burn it to a disc, thus saving space on your hard drive; the other is simply converting the image and keeping it on your computer. I suggest keeping it on your computer, unless you have a Dreamcast and want to play your burnt games on the actual system. So, run 'DiscJuggler' and click FILE > NEW. A window will pop up with a few options.

1. If you want to put the game on a disc, click on 'CD Image to CD Recorder'. Choose the drive that you use for CD burning and then set where you want to save the '.cdi' image. After you've burned the image to the CD, insert it into one of your PHYSICAL disk drives. Left-click the DAEMON Tools icon and select the drive the CD is in and start up Chankast. In Chankast, go to OPTIONS > CONFIGURE DRIVE and select the drive the CD is in. Now all you have to do is select RUN > START and you've got a Dreamcast, BABY! Once again, I don't suggest this method, but if you want to go along with it and do the extra work, I'm fine with it.

2. Your second choice is to convert the original image of the game to the proper file type for Dreamcast self-boot. So, go to FILE > NEW and select 'CD Player to CD Image. This simply means that the mounted image in DAEMON Tools will be converted to a different file type so that it will run correctly in Chankast. After selecting that choice, look for the section in the program titled 'Source'. You will see a pull-down menu box that tells you which disk drive the image is on. Choose the drive you mounted the original image on. These drives have a certain letter assigned to them, so it should be easy to tell. Now set the path of where you want to save the newly converted '.cdi' image. Once these settings are correctly set, click the 'START' button. Wait a while for it to finish, then left-click the DAEMON Tools icon and select any drive (preferably the one you used for the original image). Choose the NEW IMAGE ( the '.cdi' one) and start up Chankast. In Chankast, go to OPTIONS > CONFIGURE DRIVE and select the drive the image is mounted to. Now all you have to do is select RUN > START and you've got a full-fledged Dreamcast, BABY!

Thanks

OMG! MelloProto your post is sooo big, but I don't think that peruso wanted
    to emulate DreamCast on PC.
    (this may be really usefull guide on emulating and preparing image for burning though)
    Quote Originally Posted by peruso
    Alright I'm new to the whole emulation scene. I recently bought a Dreamcast, but sadly not many games were in the store.
    And as for your question Alcohol120% is a burning software just like Nero
    and CloneCD. You can get Alcohol120% here and
    Clone CD here
    Just to let you know that Alcohol120% and CloneCD aren't free
    software. If you want to use free burning software download Burn4Free
    although I'm not sure if it can burn Dreamcasts ISO's properly.
    You can get Burn4Free here

As for DiscJuggler you're not breaking any laws if you post a link to
    a demo or shareware edition which is free for useso to get DiscJuggler
    Demo click here.
    Last edited by MegaVolt; 26th-April-2005 at 05:56.

Thanks

ya i wanna burn it to a disc to play on my dreamcast