Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got DS'ed!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Default I got DS'ed!!

Well, incase you didn't understand the thread title. I bought a spanking new Nintendo DS today. And damn, it's beautiful . While I did have a choice between the PSP and the Nintendo DS (no cash worries as such..) I chose to get the Nintendo DS for solely one reason, innovation. I love the stylus idea and really wanted to see what they could do with that stuff. Plus, I got it cheaper than the listed price at lik-sang, so I was pretty happy with myself.
    I got only two games for the moment (since I wanted to check out what they had in them..):
    Mario 64 DS
    Warioware Touched

So I haven't played Mario 64 DS much (have played Mario64 a LOT though..) but I did play a little and from what I saw, the game looked damn good.

I can tell you somewhat about WarioWare Touched. Let me squeeze it into one tiny sentence and then post further.

Warioware Touched ROCKS!

The game is awesome fun to play, I don't even remember the last time I had so much fun playing a Video Game. It's just so new to be using a touchscreen and blowing into the microphone and stuff....

Anyway, this threads purpose (apart from announcing my new found entertainment) is to know who else over here owns a DS so that we can basically recommend titles to each other, from whatever tiny selections there may be.
    I know the list of titles is quite small, but the main reason behind this I think is because it's going to take some time for developers to come up with ideas on the stylus and stuff, but if you've seen WarioWare, you'll understand how much potential actually is in this system. I swear, the thing is fun!

So share your views and game reviews please, it's for the good of other DS owners. I'll post more once I'm more into Mario 64.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also used a NES Emulator to play some NES games on DS. Works perfectly!
    Played some Contra, and SMB and stuff, nice (NES emu for GBA btw..)
    Last edited by MasJ; 22nd-April-2005 at 15:42.

Thanks

Soon you'll see that almost every DS game almost requires you to use the touchpad instead of the tried and true methods of gaming.

Thanks

Is that a bad thing...?

No DS here, and I don't even know what Warioware Touched is all about... I'll go read some reviews now, thanks...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Mckay
    Soon you'll see that almost every DS game almost requires you to use the touchpad instead of the tried and true methods of gaming.
    I though that was the point...

Thanks

I'd definately recommend Polarium, and either importing or waiting for Yoshi Touch & Go (which I'm playing at this very moment - well it's on pause).

Thanks

I have a DS but no games other than the Metroid Prime Hunters demo and some GBA games.

Thanks
    EP Points

NES emu for the DS???Since when is this. MasJ your lying, tell the truth you pig

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Um..yeah. Pay attention d00d! He did say that he played it on the NES emu for the GBA, which would lead one to believe he was using a GBA flash cart.

On a related note, MasJ, they're making a DS flash cart, so be sure to snag one. Then you won't have to worry about snagging a shitty game, and can like, try before you buy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    On a related note, MasJ, they're making a DS flash cart, so be sure to snag one. Then you won't have to worry about snagging a shitty game, and can like, try before you buy!
    Which is also, the industry's worst nightmare!

I don't have one, because I'm aiming towards the PSP.
    I think later on, most games will do the touchpad.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Of course. If you could try everything before you buy it, developers who routinely churn out shit games would have to actually spend a bit of time and money making sure they're half-way decent, rather then being able to rely on blind purchases to move their crappy titles!

Thanks

...And then there's the people who don't even buy the games they like...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Mckay
    Edit: Soon you'll see that almost every DS game is a re-re-re-re-release of a game they made 10 years ago.

You should have bought a PSP, which has plenty of innovation too. There is also alot of homebrew gadgets and gizmos for PSP being made atm.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It seems that he's perfectly happy with his DS, so I'd say that he made the right choice.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know he would have been 10 times happier with a PSP, i know it!
    But yeah i guess if he's happy then it's all good.

Thanks
    EP Points

I might still get a PSP so don't bet your hopes on knowing what would make me happier . But I'm not one for innovation from homebrew stuff mainly because I don't really see developers making their games relying on homebrew expansions and all that.

I see the DS touch screen as a Nintendo backed product and so far both the games that I have tried are awesome. (I'm 50 stars into Mario 64, and it's suprisingly easy to play even using the DS buttons.. which I thought earlier might have been a hassle).
    Basically the future of the DS depends on how well developers can use the touchscreen in new and creative ideas. And I do think it's time we unlocked some more of their creativity.. I'm quite sick of the usual button mashing gameplay that comes one after the other.. infact, if you try WarioWare, you'll see that there never has been a game like that, and that's only because the touchscreen is an entirely new thing. Same goes for the mini games in Mario 64 DS...
    I did check out the PSP but what I mainly saw on display was pretty graphics (and some PDA like functions..). Which obviously are nice to see in a handheld system, but I never had a GBA either and I would like to cash into that as well .
    I wanted a gaming system and mainly just that, and I'm sure the DS will be able to double up as an mp3 player and stuff, infact, there's talk of running linux on the DS so I'm sure I can use it as an mp3 player with a flashcart....
    Don't worry, my DS shall be teh modded soon