Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus: My reccomendations..

Thanks

Default Antivirus: My reccomendation...

Note: All of this is a strong opinion. If you want to fuck me because I'm wrong of any aspect, it's your own fault.

Yeah, there are alot odf AV's out there. You have the worst, N0rton, you have the OK, McAfee, PCillin, AntVir, etc.

But the ultimate BEST and FREE Antivirus is:

Avast!

Reasons:

1. It finds more viruses and deletes them better then N0rton ever will.
    2. Updates ONLY TAKE 5 SECONDS ON DIAL-UP!!! (for the virus definitions, that is, program updates take like 5 minutes...)
    3. It does not hog up my memory, disk space, or slow down my computer when it is running.
    4. IT'S FUCKING FREE!!! All you have to do is register (for free) every year.

If you can find an AV as good as this, tell me.

Personal notes:

1. It took out over 700 viruses on my friend's computer, who is a K@zaa lover. (you know that crap that lingers on K@zaa)
    2. So far, I got 20 people to change from N0rtons to Avast, and loving it.
    3. I put it on every single PC that I fix/repair, and all my computers.
    Last edited by master; 10th-March-2005 at 21:28.

Thanks

Norton hasn't failed me yet, never.

And since I can use it free (I have a real lisence, but I know how to bypass 1 year limitation), I have not bothered to try another AV program.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I use AVG Free. Works quite fine (and is FREE!).

Why must you intentionally misspell everything you don't like (or make it half-leet speak, at least)? Just wondering...
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Default hehe

Yes Norton Sucks, McAfee also, AVG has failed also use to be the top on my list. Not Anymore

Best One Right now is Zone Alarm Suit (Firewall + VirusScan)

Thanks

Talking

You have made a follower out of me, Master. I chucked Norton out the window and so far, Avast has been wonderful, especially the "Warning, you have a virus" sound and the boot-up virus scan. It really is good, but sometimes I wonder if it's too good to be true... Nah! Thanks for showing it too me in the first place!

Thanks

What's wrong with Norton Anti-Virus? Tell me why it sucks.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Default lols

Norton sucks because it claims to be an anti-virus scanner but well... i found that hard to believe when virus comes into my pc 24/7 lols.

It also sucks up all my system memory making my pc slow while running in the background. Who wants that? Piece of crap! Delete Delete Delete

------------------------------------
    Convert to Linux While you Can!

Mikey_ Guest

norton has never failed me either. ever. i've used it since 2002 and its always worked fine. i don't think you should knock it just because ur pc is always left open to viruses. maybe you just need to protect your pc better. don't knock it either just cuz ur pc can't handle it. if it can't handle norton than the program itself doesn't suck, ur pc does.

Thanks

Default More lols

Quote Originally Posted by Bonster
    Norton sucks because it claims to be an anti-virus scanner but well... i found that hard to believe when virus comes into my pc 24/7 lols.

It also sucks up all my system memory making my pc slow while running in the background. Who wants that? Piece of crap! Delete Delete Delete
    How can a virus come to your computer? You are using Winodws XP and Internet Explorer without a proper firewall, right?

For me everytime a file containing a virus is loaded to my computer (tested it with knownly infected file), the OS is freezed until I tell what to do so that the virus can't activate.

It sucks up your memory and makes slow? WTF? Why are all people complaining on that? I have all NAV services running, and it takes only some 5 MB of memory to run. And there is no slow down. Maybe you just can't open up configurations and put some marks to obvious checkboxes?
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    What's wrong with Norton Anti-Virus? Tell me why it sucks.
    GODJonez, I never said Norton sucks (there, I said it...not intentional ). Norton was good. In fact, I had never heard of Avast until master told me in another thread. Norton was tasking though on my crappy system (still haven't gotten the RAM I ordered). It always slowed down my comp, and Avast actually searches within my ISOs! Maybe Norton did, But I never noticed. Plus Norton doesn't have that neat sound when a virus enters a system... Actually, I think they are both reputable AV clients, but Avast is free, and now I don't have to be worried about being caught with a bootleg copy of Norton (not really, but my sis' copy that gave me a full years worth of service on my comp, and only a 90 day use on her laptop!). Sorry if I shot down Norton because it wasn't meant that way.

BTW... Norton sucks!!!1! jk

Mikey_ Guest

i'm sorry , just about any program can be "free" if u really want it to be and if u know how to make it "free" so constantly saying that avast is FREE is useless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linkinkampf19
    GODJonez, I never said Norton sucks (there, I said it...not intentional ).

BTW... Norton sucks!!!1! jk
    Now you did

I have been using that one year updates for about two years now.
    Now I have task manager opened, of all Symantec processes:

NAVAPSVC.EXE 0% 200 kB
    CCAPP.EXE 0% 1164 kB
    CCEVTMGR.EXE 0% 48 kB
    SymWSC.exe 0% 108 kB

Not very much processor usage and memory usage...
    Oh yeah, I am using Cacheman XP. That's why Norton takes so little RAM to run. Even if you don't use Norton's program, you should install Cacheman XP anyway.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Humm before u defend Norton...

Try doing an online virus scan
    Most ppl think they got a great virus scanner until they view the online virus scanner results. lols

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

I have reason that norton sucks:

I Use Firefox (Internet Explorer = shit)
    I had all the protection. firewall (ZoneAlarm), spyware(Adaware,Spybot, Pest Patrol), virus scan (used 1st. Norton, then McAfee, AVG, Zone Labs)

Tested these four virus scanner on same system.
    Norton - fail + sucks up system memory
    McAfee same results as Norton
    AVG - fast and free but then it failed once (Still Good Tho)
    Zone Alarm Suit - build-in firewall and virusscanner (Currently using) - Recommended and it doesnt suck up a lot of system memory

So Basiclly the Norton and McAfee both suck at protecting and using up my system memory. SO is a piece of shit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Now you did

I have been using that one year updates for about two years now.
    Now I have task manager opened, of all Symantec processes:

NAVAPSVC.EXE 0% 200 kB
    CCAPP.EXE 0% 1164 kB
    CCEVTMGR.EXE 0% 48 kB
    SymWSC.exe 0% 108 kB

Not very much processor usage and memory usage...
    Oh yeah, I am using Cacheman XP. That's why Norton takes so little RAM to run. Even if you don't use Norton's program, you should install Cacheman XP anyway.
    I did use Cacheman for a while, and then I switched to another of master's (I think...) suggestion's, Hare & Zoom (www.dachshundsoftware.com). I kinda got around the 20-use trial (ahem...) and am now using it all the time. Great software. But you the one who introduced me to Cacheman XP. I had the orignal Cacheman before that, and the XP version worked wonders. I just don't want too many processes running in terms of memory conservation alone. Thanks for that as well.

Thanks

I don't know what your computer settings are, GODJonez, but I had norton on a 128mb ram computer, and it made it fucking slow. Put mcafee on it, and the downloads took up to 2 hours on dial-up. Put Avast on, and everything is fast. 5 second downloads, doesn't eat up memory, and scans are thorough, yet quick.

I also use Zone Alarm to take care of the hacks and bombardments.