Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Music Appreciation Thread

Thanks

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny (1976)

Legendary heavy metallers Judas Priest has put out a bunch of excellent albums, and some rather weak ones. They've always been one of the legendary bands of the UK together with bands like Saxon, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.

Sad Wings Of Destiny is together with Painkiller, the best Judas Priest has ever made. Sad Wings Of Destiny is filled to the brim with epic heavy metal, killer riffing, brilliant vocals by Mr. Halford and excellent production. It's nothing like their previous album, Rocka Rolla.

The album starts off with a prelude. A dark and mystical intro, with bass and piano sets the mood for this terrific album. After that song, "Tyrant" kicks in. A heavy, mid-paced, catchy song. Standard Priest, you could say. Pretty excellent song.

"Epitaph" is one heck of a song even if it's not really heavy metal. A n all-out ballad with almost no guitars at all, just piano and Halford doing the work here. It's a bit cheesy (it sounds a bit like Queen at times, seriously), but just give it some time and it'll grow on you. The songs ends by fading into the next song, "Island Of Domination", a wicked track that is a must for any heavy metal-fan to hear! Give it a listen or cry. Also, "Victim Of Changes" (the longest song on the album) is a must as well.

On to the last part of the album, the best part. "The Ripper" is probably the best song in Judas Priest's catalogue of songs ever. Top-notch vocals and riffing, a catchy chorus and brilliant work by both the bassist and drummer! Not only that, the lyrics are quite nice too, so sing along! The next song, "Dreamer Deceiver"/"Deceiver" (two songs) is a hell of a ride, sometimes it's slow as a ballad, and at times it's slow-paced, sometimes mid- and sometimes fast-paced. Acoustic guitars, slow bass and Halford screaming. Hear it to believe it.

It's hard to describe the album in words (as you can see...), really. If you haven't heard this record before and you're a metal-fan, get it now and love it. I'll guarantee it.

---

Ayreon - The Human Equation (2004) - http://www.ayreon.com/

Ayreon is a monster of a band. The Final Experiment, Into The Electric Castle and The Universal Migrator Part I and 2 are all fantastic albums that everyone should take a look at. In 2004, another Ayreon-CD arrived, The Human Equation.

The Human Equation is a tremendous album. Progressive Metal combined with everything from folk, power and ordinary heavy metal to jazz and blues. The mastermind behind this project, Arjen Anthony Lucassen, does all the instrumental work on this album (with some guests) and vocals. He did an incredible job this time, and even the production is greater than ever this time!

The Human Equation is a concept-album (just as all of the other Ayreon-albums). The story is simpe: A man (not named, but supposedly he is "Ayreon". He is reffered to "Me" in the booklet. James LaBrie of Dream Theater plays him) is in a car accident, and ends up in comatose state. By his bed, his wife (Marcela Bovio of Elfonia) and his best friend (Arjen Lucassen) is sitting, hoping that he will wake up soon, but he won't wake up before he confronts his "emotions"...

Everything in this album is superb. Every single song on it is better than anything else Ayreon has ever released (and believe me, they got a bunch of great music). It has a greater cast of vocalists than any other album ever. Mikael �kerfeldt of Opeth, James LaBrie of Dream Theater, Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad and Mike Baker of Shadow Gallery, to name a few. Every single vocalist contributions are amazing, but Mr. LaBrie's contributions are the best. His vocals sounds better in this album than in any Dream Theater-album in my humble opinion (as if it matters).

Get this album if you want to live.

---

Kamelot - The Black Halo (2005) - http://www.kamelot.com/

Kamelot is another one of these band that people seems to praise over anything else. I've heard snippets from several Kamelot-albums, and none of them really impressed me. Maybe this album will? Read on.

As said, this is the first time I listen to a Kamelot-album all the way through to the end. I had to listen to it several times before being able to base an opinion on the album, but I'm still having problems. I haven't been able to read any lyrics, as this is a concept-album based Wolfgang Goethe's "Faust", it's very hard to say anything about that... but let's move on.

All of the instrumental-work is very good, their keyboardist does an exceptional job here. The vocalist also does a great job, it's nice to hear a power metal-vocalist without a cheesy accent. The guests appearing on this album perfoms without a flaw (especially Shagrath, and I don't like Dimmu Borgir. Imagine that!).

The album starts off with "March Of Mephisto", and excellent track and probably the best on the album. Good sound-effects (soldiers marching through a battlefield?) and superb work by both vocalists (Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir being one of them). Another song worth mentioning is "Soul Society" (Bleach?), which sounds like something of In Flames' Reroute To Remain in the start of the song, but suddenly changes into a powerful song. Worth giving a listen.

---

Six Feet Under - 13 (2005) - http://www.sfu420.com/

I've never liked Six Feet Under. They've only released horrid albums, such as Warpath and their butchering of classic song in Graveyard Classics. They even managed to make AC/DC's Back In Black sound horrible on Graveyard Classics 2, where they cover the whole album.

The album sounds at times like a mix of Soulfly played death metal style and Slipknot. Okay, I may be overreacting, but this album is horrendous, just like their others. The vocals is crappy (what happened to Chris Barnes after Cannibal Corpse anyway?), the drumming is poor and the riffs are too repetive. The solos and bass is quite ok, though.

The songs are all short and repetive, and most of them sounds just the same. "Rest In Pieces" is quite catchy though (catchy isn't what I think death metal should be like), the riffs are ok, but still, the vocals ruins everything once again. And you know what? This album is the one I like the most from Six Feet Under. Wow.

---

Freedom Call - The Circle Of Life (2005) - http://www.freedom-call.net/

I never say no to some power metal Helloween/Iron Saviour/Gamma Ray-style, even if it is cheesy as hell. Freedom Call's previous album where great, but is this one as good as the others?

Every instrument is well played. The vocals sounds like all three Helloween-vocalists at times (Kai Hansen, Michael Kiske and especially their present vocalist, Andi Deris), and it's fits perfectly with the music.

The album starts of excellent, with the song "Mother Earth" (not to be confused with Within Temptation's horrid album). The song sounds like something that could easily been ripped of Gamma Ray's Land Of The Free. Catchy chorus and excellent vocals (sounds like Andi Deris at times). Next song, "Carry On", is probably the cheesiest song on the album, but also the best. The excellent chorus makes you want to sing your ass off.

"Hunting High And Low" (not to be confused with the A-Ha or the Stratovarius-song (although the chorus is similar)) is another good track. The keyboards is used well in this song. "Starchild" is also good, typical Iron Savior-style song.

I recommend this album to those who like Gamma Ray and Hellowen or just power metal in general, but others should stay away and try their previous album, Eternity, instead of this one.

---

Sodom - Tapping The Vein (1992) - http://sodomized.info/

Sodom is one of the three german thrash-metal legends, the two others being Destruction and Kreator. Sodom is without a single doubt my favourite among those three bands (though the others are great as well). Both Destruction and Kreator changed their styles during the 90's (and believe me, those styles weren't good), but did Sodom?

Tapping The Vein is not Sodom's best album, but it's still one of the most overlooked Sodom-albums that deserved more fame than it actually got. It's very heavy, it got some killer riffs and drumming too. The vocals given to us by Angelripper could have been better, but still, they're quite good. Dark and extreme, just like they usually are.

The whole show starts off with "Body Parts", with a speed faster than light-riff and vocals that are dangerously close to Black Metal. In addition, there is a great Slayer-esque solo just before the end of the song. Same thing goes for "Skinned Alive", another song worth mentioning. "Wachturm" has less speed than the rest of the album, and doesn't really fit in, but nevertheless, it's a great song. Angelripper's vocals is a bit different (probably because of the accent), but I like it alot better that way.

Not the best Sodom-album, but worth giving a listen anyway.

Guardians Of Time - Machines Of Mental Design (2003) - http://guardiansoftime.com/

Guardians Of Time is a rather unknown band hailing from my homecountry, Norway. They've released one album earlier called Edge Of Tomorrow, which I haven't had the chance to hear yet, but I hear it's supposed to be good.

After a rather short intro with some talking and stuff (this might be a concept-album, I'm not sure), you're introduced to an album filled with straight-forward power metal with excellent vocals. Some songs are ridicously good, some sucks. That's what annoys me with this album. While every instrument is played well and the vocals are great, but some of the songs are simply boring or exact copies of other songs. Of course, there are exceptions, like "TriOpticon", "More Than Man" and "Point Of No Return" saves this album from getting only 2 and a half star. Instead I will be generous and give it 3 and a half star.

---

Mot�rhead - Iron Fist (1982) - http://www.imotorhead.com/

Mot�rhead is one of those bands who's been in businness well over 20 year without changing once. Just like AC/DC, right? No matter what Mot�rhead do, they can't go wrong. Name one horrible Mot�rhead-album and I'll bite of my wang for you.

The album starts right off with the song "Iron Fist". If you compare the opening riff of "Ace Of Spades" with the opening riff in this song, you'll notice they're almost the same, just with a few changes. Still a great track, a nice and speedy rocker with an attitude.

"Loser" is a typical Mot�rhead-track with a really catchy main riff and chorus. This one is bound to be stuck in your brain for a few hours after hearing it, believe me. Another good song is "America", which is a pretty nice, mid-paced song with (once again), a very catchy chorus.

The production and instrumental work could have been a little better, but then again, is good production something Mot�rhead is in need of? No way. The vocals contributed by Lemmy (reffered to as "The God Of Heavy Metal" by many) has never been good, and will never be, but nevertheless, it fits the music they play really nice, so no need to worry. An album worth getting if you just want plain hard rock with some speed to it.

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare (1988) - http://www.vio-lence.com/

USA has tons of fairly unknown thrash-metal band from the 80's. Death Angel, Dark Angel and Vio-Lence, to name a few of them. What does all these have in common? They're all faster than a jet on a happy day.

Eternal Nightmare is filled to the brim with riffs. Not only a few, but tons of insane riffs that will rip your brain in pieces. The drumming is fast as hell and flawlessy performed. The vocals are rather strange, punkish and "germanish" (note: I'm not sure if they vocalist is actually german, but fuck, it does sound like it) but not bad at all. It's like Mot�rhead without Lemmy or Megadeth without Mustaine on the vocals. It wouldn't have been the same, would it? The lyrics are damned good as well. Who wouldn't love songs containing sentences like this?; "Stand still, it'll make my job easier!"

One of the standouts on this album is without a doubt "Serial Killer". It's faster than you can imagine, the riffs and drumming just destroys any opposition. The lyrics are kickass as well. One of the best thrash-metal songs ever? In fact, yes. "Bodies On Bodies" will make you headbang for days. The drumming on this one is so fucking fast it'll make you go crazy (as mentioned before...). It's un-fucking-believable.

Like thrash? Don't even hesitate to get this one. I really pity those who haven't heard this record. I'd give it a full score, but the vocals pulls down a bit.

---

Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny Of Souls (2005) - http://www.screamforme.com/

Iron Maidens's vocalist, Bruce Dickinson's (yes, THE Bruce Dickinson) solo career is rather unknown to most people. He has released a bunch of under-appreciated albums like Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding. Once again, Bruce puts out a new album. Is it as good as the older albums?

The album start with a rather weird, "space"-like intro. Bruce speaks a few words, then the song "Abduction" takes over. Thrashy riffing, melodic solos (think Iron Maiden, just less... awesome) and awesome vocals (well, what did you expect?). It follows the same recipe as Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding, which is indeed a good thing. The next song, "Soul Intruders" is also a heavy track but is one of the weaker tracks on the album, but an ok song. I could do without it, but I don't mind.

"Kill Devil Hill" is probably the best track on the CD. Kickass lyrics and vocals, the riffing is awesome and the dark atmosphere is kicking nuts. We also get served a nice and dark acoustic cut in the middle of the song as well. The song is like gum in your hair, it won't leave your head unless you force it out. "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun" presents us a lighter side of the album, a really nice acoustic song (accompanied by el-guitars at times, though).

"Power Of The Sun" is an upbeat, dark track with a really nice chorus that reminds me of something that could have been on one of Bruce's earlier efforts, Skunkworks. It's the shortest track (except from the intro, of course). Single-material, perhaps? "Devil On A Hog" reminds me of a typical Balls To Picasso or Tattooed Millionare-song. Kickass old-school solo. Back to the roots?

The production is great, the vocals is superb and so is the instrumental work. Still, this ain't perfect. Some of the tracks are rather weak, like the disapointing title-track "A Tyranny Of Souls" and some of the tracks are too repetetive or overlong. Not better than the previous albums, but not worse either. It should please most Dickinson and Iron Maiden-fans, and perhaps even non-fans.

---

Nile - Annhiliation Of The Wicked (2005) - http://www.nile-catacombs.net/

Nile is an interesting death metal band inspired by, as the name implies, Egypt. They play Death Metal of the brutal kind, or "Itylphallical Death Metal" as they call it. One of their albums called Black Seeds Of Vengeance never impressed me and I was really disapointed upon hearing it (I'd heard so much good about it). It had an interesting sound, but was too long and too boring. What about this one?

Rumours has it that Nile has lost their egyptian "feel". This is not true at all, but the egyptian influences are much harder to hear in this album than the previous albums. It's still there. The production is good, the vocals is as it usually is, low and deep growling with no clean vocal at all. The instrumental work is also as expected; heavy riffing and bass and great drumming. The acoustic work is also good, but sadly, it's not as much acoustic stuff in this album as you would expect.

The album starts with a nice acoustic song inspired by typical, Egyptian tunes. A mystical intro that sets the mood for the album. It's called "Dusk falls upon the Temple of the Serpent on the Mount of Sunrise". Longest title on the album? Nope. I think Nile has gotten inspiration from Bal-Sagoth or something. Next song, "Cast Down The Heretic" sounds more like a usual death metal-track with almost no egyptian feel to it at all. However, it still has some extremly good riff and frantic drumming that will make you headbang for a while. A damned good song.

One of the better songs on the album is "Lashed To The Slave Stick", that many Nile-fans may already be hating or loving. It's actually the least brutal track on the album, so no worries if this is the only track you've heard (it was released as a sample on Nile's website, I think).

It's better than I expected, and much better Black Seeds Of Vengeance
    in my opinion, even if Black Seeds Of Vengeance is more egyptian-feel than this one. Nile-fans will either hate or love this.
    Last edited by Howie; 16th-April-2005 at 09:23.

Thanks

Thanks for the bruce dickinson review mate , downloading the album right now

Currently listening to:
    Isis ~ Panopticon [9/10]
    The Walkmen ~ Bows & Arrows [8.5/10]
    The Shins ~ Oh, Inverted World
    Explosions In The Sky ~ How Strange, Innocence
    Caribou ~ The Milk of Human Kindness
    J�hann J�hannsson ~ Vir�ulegu Forsetar

Thanks

Napalm Death - The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code (2005) - http://www.enemyofthemusicbusiness.com/

The "Gods Of Grind" returns in 2005 with a new album. Me myself have only heard a few songs from them ("You Suffer", for example) and have never heard an album in it's full entirety. I've heard good things about The Code Is Red... Long Live The Code (wordplay on "The King Is Dead, Long Live The King?), so I had my hopes up for it. Will it please me?

This album starts off by hitting you in the face with a stick. "Silence Is Deafening" must be one of the greatest songs I've heard from an album anno 2005. Stunning screeches, killer riffs and blasting drumming. Awesome. The album continues with two rather short songs (they haven't forgotten that they're the "Gods Of Grind"), as brutal and asskicking as the previous song. The title track is also a superb track, it will make you scream "Long Live The Code!" so that your neighbours is bound to hear (even if you live in the fucking desert). Sadly, the album seems to repeat itself later in the album, but songs like "Vegetative State" and "Striding Purposefully Backwards" is still worth a mention. "The Great And The Good" is a song they should have made a bonus-track instead, it features the Jello Biafra from Dead Kennedys and it messes up the albums flow...

The screeching vocals contributed by "Barney" is great, the instrumental work is solid and so is the production. The album starts at the top and goes downhill, it's a bit repeating and the drumming is at times a bit annoying (not like it matters much). If you like Death Metal or Grind, get it. If you like Napalm Death, get it or die.

---

Summoning - Dol Goldur (1996) - http://www.summoning.info/

Summoning is an Epic Ambient Black/Doom Metal-band (phew, that's long) from Austria who's main lyrical theme is Tolkien. Sounds great, doesn't it? It is, in fact. I remember I gave Lugburz a good score (3 and a half star), and that is one of their weaker albums. Then how is Dol Goldur?

Dol Goldur is amazing. The mix of ambient music combined with Doom and Black Metal is disturbingly good. Epic, long-lasting songs accompanied by great screeching vocals and nice melodies in the background. The whole album is rather slow-paced than ordinary Black Metal-albums, but then again, this isn't an ordinary Black Metal-album, right?

The albums starts off with an ambient-track which sets the mood (how overused is that sentence?) and then fades into an excellent, 10-minutes long track called "Nightshade Forest", a majestic and epic song that will give you chills. Everything is slow, the slow drumming (provided by a drum-machine supposedly) fits the song perfectly. I'm no fan of drum-machines, but at this album it actually sounds good. "Khazad Dum" is another song you don't want to miss out on. It follows pretty much the same pattern as the other songs on the album, just that the marching drums and enchanting flutes makes me almost cry of joy. Awesome. "Over Old Hills" must also be tried.

I recommend this album to everyone, fan of Black Metal or not. If you'd like to try out Black Metal for the first time but want to avoid the "anti-christian"-lyrics, you should definitely check out this album.

---

W.A.S.P. - Helldorado (1999) - http://www.waspnation.com/

W.A.S.P. (We Are Sex Perverts, for those who wondered) is suffering from the rare AC/DC and Mot�rhead-syndrome. It's almost impossible to tell their albums apart except from some rarities. Like both Mot�rhead and AC/DC, the bands have something in common; a vocalist that the band never would be the same without.

Helldorado is a kind of standard "old school" Heavy metal-album. They manage to pull of a few decent song, a pair of good songs and of course songs that manages to suck ass. Blackie's vocals is like it usually is, low screaming and gruff vocals. For newcomers to W.A.S.P., it might take a while to get used to the vocals, but once you've swallowed it, W.A.S.P. can be a fun band to listen to.

The album is filled with rather obscure titles and lyrics, such as "Don't Cry (Just Suck)" and "Dirty Balls". Once you've looked past the idiotic lyrics and titles, you might like these songs. These two are the only "killers" on the album, though "Damnation Angels" and "High On The Flames" are quality songs as well. The rest is decent filler-material. The instrumental-work and production is solid, but it doesn't help this album much. If you wanna try W.A.S.P., don't start with this one. Only fans will find the whole album worthwhile a purchase.
    Last edited by Howie; 19th-April-2005 at 10:49.

Thanks

Wormed - Planisphaerium

Hailing from Madrid, Spain, Wormed released their debut album in 2004. The first thing that caught my attention about this band was their wacky lyrical concept, stuff about human evolution, quantum physics, astronomy, geometry... But after giving them a listen, I realized that the lyrics were not the only thing that this band had to offer in terms of originality.

Get a drummer on crack that has 89 cymbals to play on, two guitarists that crunch down with total unpredictability, a bass that turns your brains into a fuzz, and vocals that sound like gigantic sandworm. Sound weird?

Wormed describe their music literally as "Ultra brutal death metal"... but I believe that's not a very detailed description of their music, since not a single band on this planet sounds like Wormed. The sheer heaviness this band pumps into their songs is beyond anything I've ever come across... I'm not claiming that they're the heaviest around(though I'd ponder it for a while), but their sound is also unlike anything I've ever heard, it's definately not a Suffocation fan-band.

All of their songs sport well over 30 different riffs, most of them being played only once throughout the whole track. How's that for unpredictable? Of course, the average listener will perceive this as noise, but if you were to pay attention to all those nifty time signatures... bah, screw that technical stuff, this is pure fucking brutality! The songs really don't sound all alike! This is brutal death metal with songs that are quickly distinguishable!

It's not just the riffs that stand out, every aspect of Wormed is incredibly weird and downright incredible. While the guitars give you tons of crunchy riffs to bang your head to, the drummer is doing his own thing, playing weird irregular rythms that sound totally out of this world, like some alien musical instrument. The track "Voxel Mitosis" for example, shows the size of this man's drumkit and his extremities' muscles. They don't have any solos, but the songs change drastically every few seconds, so who needs a solo?

As for the vocals, instead of the harsh growling found in many death metal bands, Wormed's vocals sound almost smooth and soothing for some reason, which make them very memorable. The fact that Phlegeton(the vocalist) singing about astronomy and quantum physics makes it sound even more awesome, even if I can't make out a single word(even if I could, I'd need a dictionary/thesaurus next to me to understand everything he's babbling about). A cool excerpt that I have stuck in my head is: "Distance is something we understand in a primal way", which deals with the concept of traveling beyond the universe, also mocking slow paced human evolution.

If you listen to this album, the first thing you'll enjoy is their spectacular breakdowns! At some points you will think that the song was over, when it comes back and hits you in the face like a freight train with a very sludgy, crunchy, bassy, neck-breaking tone that pounds your body into dust.

The 2nd track "Geodesic Dome" has a totally awesome breakdown at 2:01, then you get a passage and a little hippy-ish melody(it totally sounds like it doesn't belong there, but it sounds awesome and alien-like!), with the vocalist talking/singing with clean soft vocals at a distance. Then the song just spills the brutality before that little melodic passage that lasted only 6 seconds, finishing the song with an awesome pinch-harmonic(that squeeling guitar sound) filled riff. Now that is what I call unpredictable.

There's just so much going on in Planesphaerium, I can't even imagine how long it must've taken them to write and record all of these 7 wonderful tracks(actually 8, but one is just a 16 second ambient track before the title-track). If you're into brutal death metal, even extreme music in general, and you like to check out wacky unpredictable stuff, then Wormed is just for you. Most of the DM listeners on the forums won't like it at first, as I did, but give it a week or so(unless all you listen to is melodic stuff, then it might take longer to love).

If you don't appreciate extreme music all that much, then I'd stay away from this as it will give you a catastrophical headache if you're not desensitized to this sort of music.

I can't really find any flaws in this album, other than the fact that it was too damn short! Well, I guess it's alright if every track is a technical masterpiece, but I was kind of hoping for 2 or 3 more tracks, just so I could hear more wacky vocals and lyrics about astronomy/philosophy/something. The procuction was nice and sharp, not as clear and shiny as other albums released last year, but the sound it gave the album is just superb.

It's really imaginative, Wormed are insanely original, period.

This album gets a 9.4/10... for not having at least one more song.

I'll leave you with the concept behind this album, taken from Wormed's website:

Trillion years light ...

The human's extreme-advanced evolution...
    Disintegration of all human dimensions...

A fight with human beings evolved, otherwise called insects, in a non defined space / time... broken down by the pure nature of the matter.

The Planispherium is a key, a dimensional but advanced portal than the geodesic dome, from here you pass to another dimension that covers the other one with its dense and black matter.

The main character:
    The human, the only one, the true human.

All lyrics concept in "Planisphaerium" explain the experiences of this human.

The only one will be able to dehydrate a planet...
    The only one that can create a tunnel of ions to arive to the nucleous...
    The only one that can deform the space...

As you can see that human is not a human as the word says.
    Last edited by Soeru; 20th-April-2005 at 01:17.

Thanks

Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001) - http://opeth.com/

I take it that most people reading this already know of Opeth. It's a band you either love or hate (it seems to be a trend to hate Opeth nowadays, especially between metalheads). Myself has never really loved them, but I don't hate them either, they've produced superb albums that I have enjoyed alot, but I don't listen to them much... strangely. A mix of Death Metal and acoustic ballads. No, really. "That can't be good!" you say? Wrong. Totally wrong.

This album was the album that put Opeth on the map of music, their "breakthrough" you can call it. They manage to combine growling and clean vocals (done by the same person, Mikael �kerfeldt) and make both types sound amazing, they combine heavy riffs and bass with acoustic guitars and piano and makes it sound like it actually fits together. The production is crystal-clear and every instrument is played very well.

The album starts off with "The Leper Affinity", an really enjoyable track which starts right off with death metal riffs and growling to the bone. When hearing this for the first time, you don't expect to hear the track slow down into an acoustic ballad-like song with clean vocals, then go right back to the death metal again. This might sound absurd, but it actually works good. They've thrown in some good solos into it as well.

My favourite song from the album is surprisingly "Harvest", an acoustic ballad with no references to death metal at all. I like the vocals alot, and the lyrics is also very good as well. Good solo in the middle too, but it's far too long and should have been cut down on a few minutes. This actually goes for the whole album.

Blackwater Park is not the best thing Opeth has spit out, but it's still one of their better albums. I prefer to take Still Life and Deliverance for a spin rather than this, and if I want ballads, I go for Damnation (recommended if you only like Opeth's ballads and not their death metal).

---

Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan (2000) - http://www.gorgoroth.org/

Late Gorgoroth has never really interested me. Their earlier albums like Pentagram (which I rated 4 and a half star) is mandatory black metal that nobody who is fan of the genre should miss. Pest (Plague)and Hat (Hate) where great vocalists, but Gaahl (could be a rewriting of "Gal", which means crazy... which he is. He beat up a guy and drank his blood) is one Gorgoroth's vocalists that never really grasped me by the balls when I first heard him do his stuff.

Incipit Satan starts off very interesting with the title-track, which shows us pretty standard and atmospheric norwegian black metal. The vocals is pretty good, the riffing is nice but the drumming could be better. A bit annoying at times. The mid-part of the song rules when Gaahl screams "Incipit Satan", makes you wanna scream it yourself. A World To Win is a rather thrashy and melodic track. The solos may sound like it's power metal at times, which shows the first signs of the fact that this album is a very experimental one than just the standard, ol' stuff.

The third song is called "Litani Til Satan" (I have no idea what "Litani" means, I'm not sure if it is even a word). An atmospheric and doom-inspired slow song. The lyrics are all norwegian (everything is more charming when it's in your main language) and there is almost no screaming at all. Just "read" lines. One of the more boring songs on the album. Skipping a few track, we get to "Ein Eim Av Blod Og Helvetesild" (A Smell Of Blood And Hellfire). The vocals here might get a bit irritating, but it's still a quite alright song. The song changes tempo quite a bit. Half into the song, it delivers us fine, thrashy riffs. "Will To Power" is a half-assed attempt at making some kind of techno/ambient stuff. Doesn't impress at all... and why they did they include "When Love Rages Wild In My Heart" on this album is beyond me.

The album starts of great, but goes downhill. The two last songs are barely listenable at all. The production is ok, any instrumental work is also ok and the vocals isn't too bad either. Not a must, try Pentagram or Under The Signs Of Hell if you want some real Gorgoroth.

---

Trollfest - Willkommen Folk Tell Drekka Fest!! (2005) - http://www.trollfest.tk/

Trollfest is a fresh and new band hailing from my homecountry Norway. Willkommen Folk Tell Drekka Fest!! (which translates to Welcome Folks To Drinking Party, I guess. A weird combination of norwegian dialect and german...) is their first album (not counting their Promo Demo). I never say no to music that sounds like Finntroll, do I?

The show begins with an introtrack called "Trollfest". A quite good opening with typical Finntroll-like melodies. Thumbs up for that one. After the opening, the title-track blasts off. Great riffs and melodies on this one. The drumming sounds a bit shallow and the vocals could be better. Same thing goes for the next song "Helvetes Hunden Garm", theres' a pretty catchy/cheesy chorus in this one. "Sagaen Om Suttungs-Mj�d" is an acoustic song. The lyrics is read in norwegian and is about how mead was made. Not really interesting if you don't know norwegian.

The best track on this one is without a doubt "Du Kom For Seint...". A song about drinking (like most others) that's perfect to take a drink to! I wouldn't mind a beer and a sing-a-long on this one instead of the mandatory Tankard or Manowar (the album-outro is "....N� M� Du Drikka Mest!", which is the acoustic version of this song).

A solid debut from the trolls. A couple of killers, some fillers and almost no bad songs at all (I disliked Die �rgammal Gebrau)! If you like Finntroll or Korpiklaani, you should give this album a shot.

---

James LaBrie - Elements Of Persuasion (2005) - http://www.jameslabrie.com/

I got my eyes up for James LaBrie when I was in 7th grade. I heard the Dream Theater-song called "Six'o'Clock" and I really liked it. Still, I never really started "loving" him until the day I heard Ayreon's The Human Equation. He suddenly was on my list of "Favourite Vocalists of All Time"...

... but I never knew he actually had a solo-project going on until recently. I quickly got hold of Elements Of Persuasion, and I must say that this was an dissapointing affair. The vocals is good but not as good as they should have been, and I wasn't really fond of the "techno"-elements thrown into some of the songs (I'm not sure if this was in the previous albums he has put out). Most songs are slightly above the "decent-line", some songs are just bad or boring and some are good, so you can say that this is quite a mixed bag.

The guitar-work and bass is just has heavy (but far from as good) as in Dream Theater and the drumming just fades compared to Dream Theater's (I know I'm an idiot for comparing this with Dream Theater, but it couldn't be helped...). As said, the vocals are nice but it's far from the best LaBrie has managed to pull out. The production is quite good.

This is not a bad album, it's just not what I expected. There are a few standouts like the amazing "Slightly Out Of Reach", "In Too Deep" and "Drained". This album works as filler-material to suppress the long wait for Dream Theater's Octavarium (which will hopefully be better than this).

---

The Axis Of Perdition - Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital (2005) - http://www.theaxisofperdition.moonfruit.com/

Industrial Metal has never really been one of those genres I've listened much to. D�dheimsgaard's 666 International has been one of the few I've listened to and still enjoy. Will The Axis Of Perdition change my likings for Industrial? Most likely not, but I'll give it a chance.

Deleted Scenes From the Transition Hospital is the strangest thing I've heard since Sunn O))). I'm not able to explain in words how the music is, other than "creepy", "scary" and "strange but good". I've listened through it several times and I am still unable to explain it. However, I'm actually starting to like it. Despite all the creepy effects and weird vocals. Futuristic Atmospheric Industrial Black Metal would be the most accurate description for this. Everything is well written and the production is quite good.

I'm sure most people won't like this, even how hard they try. I can only recommend this to people who's fans of bands like D�dheimsgaard (no people, Rammstein is NOT industrial metal). I took a few listens before I started liking this, and I imagine that most people will throw this album in the garbage bin before they've listened even half through it. Don't. Give it a chance. It's decent enough.

---

At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours (1992) - http://www.atthegates.se/

Most melodic death metal-fans knows At The Gates, and most likely for their brilliant album Slaughter Of The Soul. Sadly I haven't fully listened through any of their albums so The Red In The Sky Is Ours will be my first.

The Red In The Sky Is Ours doesn't live up to my expectations, and to be honest, I didn't really expect much from it. Sure, the album is agressive enough and they never really stop the frenzy except from some small violin (?) interludes. Everything is really well played, but the bad production makes it seems worse than it really is. The vocals is ok but not anything to shout "hooray" for really. It's also a bit repetive. Still, there's some kickass tracks on this album, like "Neverwhere" and "Through Gardens of Grief". The rest is decent.

Avoid this one and try Slaughter Of The Soul instead.

---

Shaaman - Ritual (2002) - http://www.shaaman.com.br/

Shaaman (formerly Shaman, which was the name they released this album under. They changed their name to Shaaman a few months ago) rose from the ashes of the brazillian power metal band Angra. I have never liked early Angra (their latest style is amazing though), and I really doubted I would like this one.

Ritual is different from what Angra has made. The epic power metal is still present, but it sounds different vocal wise and it is at times slower than what Angra made. But I have to be honest, I like this album "fuckloads" more than anything Angra has ever made. Sascha Paeth did well on the production of this album, the guitars are excellent, especially the great solos, the bass is damned good and so is the drumming. The vocals have a strong accent to it, but you'll live through it. It's also quite mystical and atmospheric.

"Distant Thunder" is one of my favourites on this release. A catchy and almost "symphonic" track. Earcandy. "Ritual" is a mystical and atmospheric track that made me quiver the first time I heard it. The vocalist does an exceptional job on this one. The real highlight of the album is "Pride". A lot groovy and faster than the other songs on the album. The lyrics is quite cheesy, but who cares when the vocals are as excellent as it is here?

There isn't any weak songs on this album, really. I can recommend it to anyone who is a big fan of Angra and general power metal. I'll rate it 4 stars (but it's really 4 and 2/8 stars). Let's just hope that their 2005-release is just as good as this one.

---

Metal Church - The Human Factor (1991) - http://www.metalchurch.com/

My first experience with Metal Church was The Dark, a rock-solid album that did not dissapoint me at all. The Human Factor is my second Metal Church-album, and I've heard great things about it (and I've also heard that this is their worst as well, but it's still good. Promising band you could say). Will it be as good as The Dark?

As said in my The Dark-review, this sounds like a mix of Judas Priest, power- and thrash-metal. This is certainly NOT a bad thing at all. The songs follow the formula as I wrote, very thrashy riffs with nice and melodic solos with a more agressive Halford-sounding vocalist. The songs are sometimes unnecessarily long ("In Harm's Way", to name one, which clocks over 7 minutes), some are perfect length (4 minutes).

The album doesn't really have any really bad moments, but it has a few weak points. "In Harm's Way" is certainly a weak point, not a particularly bad song, but as I said, way too long. I'm not really fond of ballads like this one, but it sounds ok. "Betrayed" is a forgetable song that they should've left out of the album.

There are a few very strong songs here as well, "Date With Poverty", "The Final Word" and "The Fight Song" are honourable mentions... but the definite highlight is "Agent Green". It starts off with a small acoustic part before the superb riffs and drumming kicks in to blast our balls of. A very good song that I can highly recommend to anyone.

While it's not better than The Dark, it sure is a good album. A weak song, some filler, many killers.

Rating: 7/10

Other albums by this artist: The Dark - 8/10
    Last edited by Howie; 27th-April-2005 at 14:36.

Thanks

Domination Through Impurity - Essence of Brutality

First of all this album is as technical as death metal will go. The riffs are pretty darn sweet even though it's pretty hard to headband to them. The drummer is very talented, no i mean extremely talented. Joe Payne shreds like a madman but sometimes I feel it is a bit too much. The titled track "Essence of Brutality" begins with some intense guitar shredding followed by some nice riffs. Joe Payne's growl is the usual growls you hear in death metal bands, it's pretty good never the less. For fans of death metal I suggest you get this album, as it will blow your brains out

Thanks

Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera (2002) - http://www.blind-guardian.com/

Making a worthy follow-up to their Nightfall In Middle-Earth would be one of the hardest challenges ever Blind Guardian would have to face. Nightfall In Middle-Earth is without a single doubt one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Would their return in 2002 called A Night At The Opera (not to be confused with Queen) be any good?

I can answer it right away. YES. This album is one of Blind Guardian's most overlooked but one of their greatest and most epic albums. It's not better than Nightfall, but it's certainly not far from kicking it's ass down from it's throne. The songs are all grand and epic with orchestraes backing them up. At first this might be a bit "too much", but you'll get used to this over time. Hansi's vocals is still one of the best vocals in power metal nowadays, the instrumental work is also amazing as usual. Their drummer (who sadly left the band a month ago) does an amazing job on every single song. The production could have been better though, they got far too much going at one time.

The opener "Precious Jerusalem" is quite different from anything else you've heard from Blind Guardian in the start, but this soon changes into classic Blind Guardian (just with orchestraes backing them up). A great solo and good chorus is also packed into this essential opener. Other songs worthy of mention is "Battlefield", "Under The Ice" and "The Soulforged"... and another one. "...And Then There Was Silence" it's called, and it's one of the most brilliant songs I've ever heard, if not the best. A 14-minutes grand epic packed with whatever you'd want from Blind Guardian. Solos? Check. Orchestra? Check. Hansi? Check. Stauch? Check. The rest? Check. A song hard to describe with just words (has been released on single, by the way).

A very good album from the master themselves, Blind Guardian. Do not ignore no matter if you're a fan or not. Listen to this and enjoy the fuck out of it.

Rating: 9/10

Other albums by this artist:
    Battalions Of Fear - 8/10
    Somewhere Far Beyond - 9/10
    Nightfall In Middle-Earth - 10/10

---

Dreamtale - Difference (2005) - http://www.dreamtale.net/

I first heard about this band in January when their released their EP Wellon, which I liked alot. It contained three songs, two being also on Difference and one EP-only song. As said, I really liked that EP, but that was only a "preview" of what was to come. Would the other songs on Difference be as good as "Powerplay", "New Life" and "Mirror"?

Dreamtale plays typical melodic Power Metal of the finnish-type (of course, they're from Finland). Think Stratovarius (not very surprising, the album is produced by Timo Tolkki of Stratovarius), Sonata Arctica and late Nightwish, just without the female vocals. The vocalist sounds like the guy from Sonata Arctica (take a listen "Lucid Times", Arctica-fans, and judge for yourself), the guitarist and bassist does a solid job, the drummer does a rather good job as well even if the drumming sounds a bit "shallow" (and sometimes too "thick") at times, but I can't blame the drummer, I blame the one who produced it. The keyboards are well played. Production is nice, looking apart from the drumming-thing.

Looking apart from the two great songs that appeared on Wellon ("Powerplay" is included as a bonus in some versions), there are a bunch of great tracks here. "Wings Of Icaroos" is one of the better songs I've heard from this genre this year, same with the extremly good "World's Child", the latter sounding alot like a track that could 've been ripped directly of Sonata Arctica's Silence. "Secret Door" sounds alot like later Stratovarius (like Eagleheart, for example. Yes, I do like that song, don't ask). The acoustic ending "Green Fields" is also a cute track with flutes (yes, flutes). Nice way to end the album. The rest is quite decent or mediocre.

I'm unable to find any very weak spots in this album, except from the just decent or the mediocre tracks that pulls down this album from it's glory.

Rating: 7/10
    Last edited by Howie; 29th-April-2005 at 14:52.

Thanks

<b>Orphaned Land - Mabool (2004)</b>

Arabic metal anyone? That's exactly what Orphaned Land's Mabool is. It's hard to categorize this band really, the closest match is to think Agalloch only dipped in an oriental flavour. The Arabic influence is most evident; think Egyptian melodies gone metal, and you'd get a pretty close idea of OL's sound. The mix is really unique and never boring, due to the blend of heavy guitars, traditional Middle Eastenr instruments, and the varied vocal style of their vocalist, who by the way can growl, chant, and sing cleanly, and if that ain't enough there is also a female vocalist and a choir on backup, and it all blends in perfect harmony. No instrument is there for the sake of being there. They're also technically astounding. Song structures and songwriting are solid as well, another of the reasons this 67 minute journey doesn't get any boring. Worthy of note is the third track: The Kiss of Babylon. Succumb into this work of art. Halfway through the track the vocalists drop their lyrics and just sing "na na naa naaa" instead. Cheesy as it is, but fuck, it's catchy as hell.

Highly recommended for music fans and metalheads alike.

<b>10/10</b>

Thanks

Mourning Beloveth - A Murderous Circus (2005) - http://www.mourningbeloveth.com/

Mourning Beloveth is as the name implies, depressing. They play Doom Metal (surprised?) with death-growling and clean vocals. In 2002, they released the critically acclaimed The Sullen Sulcus, which I haven't had the "time" to listen to yet, but from what I've read, it seems like an interesting release. Their newest album is called A Murderous Circus, and my expectations where high... but was it as I expected?

A Murderous Circus is split into 5 tracks varying in 10 to 20 minutes of length. The vocals, both the growling and clean vocals are quite good, so is the instrumental work on every instrument. The production is also clean, nothing objectionable here. The slow riffs and slow solos are nice as well. The problem is that every song seems to repeat itself too many times during it's average 14 minutes, which does in the end get extremely boring and even tiring. Everything is put together well though, and I'm sure fans of the band or genre will find this better than me.

Rating: 6/10

---

To/Die/For - IV (2005) - http://www.todieforlove.com/

To/Die/For is one of the few (actually, two) love-themed Gothic Metal-bands I still respect (the other is HIM). I've heard the three previous album from To/Die/For, and they where quite enjoyable, but they had a problem: they all sounded the same. Is it the same thing with this album?

Sadly, yes. IV (original title, I know) isn't exactly a big change from the other albums, if any change at all. The lyrical themes about love, death and despair can still be found in this album, their melodic songs accompanied by mostly pianos is also there. The vocalist is as cheesy as ever, with probably the weirdest accent in the history of Metal. The instrumental works fine. The production is not too bad, but sometimes there's too much sound effects that ruins the instrumental-work, especially the drums.

The songs are all mediocre, except from a few chosen ones like the single (good choice on that one) "Little Deaths" and "Fragmented". "New Year's Day" is also ok, but the reason I mention it is because of the melody in the song... have I heard it before in some song? Anyway, everything is listenable, but everything is repeated a million times and thus, the songs sounds exactly the same. A shame, I know.

I guess fans of the band itself or HIM will love this, but everyone else should just stay away from it. Buy the "Little Deaths"-single, and be happy with that.

Rating: 5/10
    Last edited by Howie; 1st-May-2005 at 10:11.

Thanks

In Flames-The Quiet Place
    From The Album "Soundtrack to your escape"

I liked this song like crazy.The guitar riff is amazing....wonder how they even created such a riff. When you hear the song you feel you've been zapped into an alien world (full of mist). There's an aura of this song... an awesome aura that makes you want more and more of the song.Personally I feel the best of In Flames

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kratos
    In Flames-The Quiet Place
    From The Album "Soundtrack to your escape"

I liked this song like crazy.The guitar riff is amazing....wonder how they even created such a riff. When you hear the song you feel you've been zapped into an alien world (full of mist). There's an aura of this song... an awesome aura that makes you want more and more of the song.Personally I feel the best of In Flames
    Uh, yeah. You're supposed to review a full album, not just a song. I'd understand if you were talking about the single, but apparently you aren't since you didn't mention the other tracks on the Quiet Place single. If you feel that's In Flames' best, you've never listened to the first five albums.

Thanks

Barathrum - Legions Of Perkele (1998) - http://barathrum.poro-tuotanto.org/

Barathrum is a black metal-band from Finland. They play black metal as I said, but not ordinary black metal. With this album, they move from standard black metal to a more groove and rock-inspired type of black metal.

I must say I was quite surprised with this album. It's nice to have break from the typical "blast-beat" there is in most albums, and this album is actually varied too. The vocals and lyrics are the only thing that has remained standard black metal, though the riffs, bass and drumlines is a lot different. The vocals are damned good, the guitars are awesome so is the bass and the drums. The production isn't exactly something you could call "high quality", but it works.

"Angelburner" is worth a mention. The opening drumming and bass-lines makes you think it's some kind of plain heavy metal-song like fucking Mot�rhead could make, but then, BOOM! The grim vocals kicks in and "ruins" everything. The riffs are also pretty damned nice, but it's repeated far too many times, sadly. "Last Day In Heaven" also reminds me a bit of Mot�rhead at the opening. Another excellent song.

"Legions Of Perkele" is without a doubt the best song on the album. An mid-paced song with a computer-generated (at least it sounds like it) voice in the start. Creepy shit, I tell you. It's also packed with some damned nice riffs and bass-lines too (a bit of egyptian Nile-esque feel to it). The album ends nicely off with a more standard approach towards black metal, with the drumming faster than it's usually is on the album. I guarantee it will make you scream "WARMETAL!" for a while...

A pretty damned nice album, this is. A lot of great songs, a few decent and an awful one called "The Force Of Evil" (abused women screaming. Awesome? No. Just as stupid as "Pleasure Slave" on Kings Of Metal by Manowar) I recommend this to fans of black metal and people who just wants to try out "something new" for a change.

Rating: 8/10

---

Sirenia - At Sixes And Sevens (2002) - http://www.sirenia.no/

Sirenia is a norwegian band which hails from Stavanger. A former member of Tristania formed Sirenia, and thank heaven for that.

This one of the few gothic metal-albums with death-growling I actually like. Everything is just wonderful, clean male and female vocals plus death metal growling (which does actually fit right into this album, contrary to other bands which has tried and failed at doing it). The instrumental work is also great and so is the production, which is nice and clean. People will think of "Lacuna Coil" when they hear it at first, but it's actually quite different.

I recommend this to anyone who like gothic metal of some sort, especially if you like Tristania. (Note; short and bad, I know. I have a headache right now, so go easy on me...)

Rating: 8/10
    Last edited by Howie; 3rd-May-2005 at 15:10.

Thanks

Impaled - Mondo Medicale

This fantastic album starts of with a brilliant intro called "The Hippocritic Oath" I don't usually listen to intros as sometimes they are blend and boring. It starts of with an eerie but wonderful piano melody. It ends with someone screaming "Is There A Doctor In The House?" *thumbs up* Tracks like "Raise the Stakes" and "Operating Theatre" are kickass material, hell no the entire album kicks ass. Andrew LaBarre and Sean McGrath's guitar work is really good headbanging stuff. Excellent drumming from Raul Varela. His drumming in "Operating Theatre" is superb. Sean McGrath's growls highly resembles Jeff Walker (Carcass) and Ross Sewage's growl is very low but is very amazing and stunning at the same time. Check out Ghoul as well if you like Impaled

Thanks

Metal Church - Metal Church (1984) - http://www.metalchurch.com/

Metal Church's debut is more thrashy than any of their other albums (except maybe The Dark...). Metal Church is very underappreciated in my opinion, and one of the reasons is this album called simply Metal Church.

Thrash Metal with slightly mixed with some heavy metal and power metal. The vocals are superb (and I can't say it more, it reminds me alot of Judas Priest), but not really what we usually hear in thrash metal. The vocalist could've easily fit in to, let's say Fates Warning (at least in my opinion). The guitars kills, the bass slays and the drumming blasts. The production is mediocre though, but it doesn't really matter, it sounds good in my ears anyways, and I doubt the you'll even notice.

Metal Church starts off with the song "Beyond The Black", which has a long opening with some distorted spoken lines until the riffs and solos takes over the whole fucking show. Excellent start to an excellent album. Their self-titled song "Metal Church" opens with some kind of effect of wind blowing in the background, then drums and a creepy laughter takes over. Excellent riffs and solos in here as well. Skipping a few tracks, we get to "Hitman", best track on the album. Mot�rhead ahoy! Replace Metal Church's vocals with Lemmy of Mot�rhead's and you'd have an excellent Mot�rhead-song. Another good track is the already great Deep Purple-song "Highway Star", which has been covered on this album. One word; superb. Couldn't have been done better.

Slightly better than The Dark, this might just be the best Metal Church-album. Get it now.

Rating: 9/10

Other albums by this artist:
    The Dark - 8/10
    The Human Factor - 7/10

Thanks

Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek) - Train of Thought.

This is one of the few rare rap CDs that has the ability to actually invoke thought. A lot of people would immediately dismiss any rap artist as a crock of shit or a gimmick, and never look twice at the skill if there is any. Talib Kweli is the one who breaks that trend. With similies and metaphors that are simply unheard of now in rap, he brings personality and personal parts of himself onto the tracks with the ease that you don't see anymore. With production from his long time friend, DJ Hi-Tek, the words and music blend together as cleanly as most symphonies. Songs like "Too Late" and "Good Mourning" have held a special place in my heart for not only his lyrical prowess, but for the message that they display. Other songs like "Down for the Count" and "Eternalists" are there simply as a way to show the true scope of his artistry.
    If there is any rap CD I would recommend to anyone, it would be this one. And that's what I'm doing. If you have the time or money/bandwidth, find this CD and get it. Seriously.