Thread: Failure to load Windows when my DVD-RW is hooked up.

Thanks

Default Failure to load Windows when my DVD-RW is hooked up.

The title pretty much says it all. If the IDE cable is hooked up to the DVD-RW drive when I boot, the comp freezes at the Windows loading screen after a few seconds. I'm positive there's nothing wrong with the jumpers or master/slave settings, because I would've gotten an error from my BIOS.

I updated Windows and that didn't help... the drive didn't come with any drivers, all I did was hook it up to a comp and it worked... but it doesn't let my OS load on this comp. What could it be? Maybe I need an ASPI driver update or a BIOS update? The comp is not old, so I doubt a BIOS update is necessary.

Thanks in advance. s s

Thanks

i know u said u checked everything but its worth a shot did u move that whats it called... plastic thing on the back of the dvdRw drive and move it in the middle to make it a slave drive

Thanks

It's called a jumper. Yes, I checked it. If there was something wrong with that, the BIOS would give me an error, I wouldn't even get to the Windows loading screen, the comp locks up right after being turned on if it's a jumper problem.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am able to get into safe mode with the drive connected, but it just stops loading Windows if I go into normal mode....
    Last edited by Soeru; 19th-February-2005 at 05:42.

Thanks

Sounds like some program not associated with the kernal is interfering with it... check what turns on when you boot up, see if any of them could interfere with that drive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Update drivers/firmware/bios in this specific order. Do that in Safe mode if necessary.

Thanks

What Windows version do you have? Try using "log boot events" or similar from the start menu that comes up by pressing F8 at start. Then next time boot into safe mode and check the log file BOOTLOG.TXT or BOOTLOG.PRV (they're hidden at the root folder of Windows drive)
    Have you seen me before?

Uncle Evil Guest

set both drives to cable select and plug the dvd rw into the slave. i have heard of a lot of people having this problem, sounds like a proprietary problem (not sure if spelled that right ) anyway, this seems to work whenever i run into problems like this with clients computers

Thanks

I will try using cable select then. I'll also have to update my drivers/firmware, but what drivers are you talking about? The drive doesn't need any, it came by itself, and it worked by just hooking it up to another PC... df

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    I will try using cable select then. I'll also have to update my drivers/firmware, but what drivers are you talking about? The drive doesn't need any, it came by itself, and it worked by just hooking it up to another PC... df
    Updated drivers. Microsoft only bundles Generic DVD-RW drivers, for "space on your hdd" and "space possible to put on a cd" sake.

Thanks

Problem fixed, I reconnected the jumper in the same way it was before and now it worked. Joy. Thank you all for the help.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't lie, the jumper wasn't in the good position right?

Thanks

... No, it wasn't... Damn, you saw through me. But I swear that I checked the bitch before even making the thread... Anyways, thxorz.