Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reflex or skill??????

Thanks

If you don't have skill, your reflexes could be wrong, so I think that skill is more important.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

I was talking about it in more of a thought process type thing. me and my brother are both masters in the two games that I stated ,but our style of play in those two work differently I'm purely into skill so in guilty gear x2 I own my brother while in soul calibur 2 my brother can pull a perfect out every once in a while. In other 3d games were about the same but in soul calibur I can't keep up he'll parry any of my attacks side step and literally just knock me out of the ring. we both agree that skill and reflex are important but I guess what I meant to say was adaptability over strategy. yeah I know it's different mechanics for the game but it doesn't change the ability of the player (see cyberxion my grammar got better
    some days you just want to blow something up

Mikey_ Guest

ah 2d and 3d fighters....i always have trouble with 3d games except for tekken 3 and virtua fighter 3. anything other than that (in 3rd) i suck at. as far as 2d fighters, i'm untouchable in snk vs capcom 2 and marvel vs capcom 2. though both games have differences. mostly mvc2 is very hyper and in that game i use mostly skill to pull off insane combo's while in svc2 i use reflexes more. if that makes any sense.

Thanks

As I read in a manual describing ACM: Air Combat Manuvering, I stumbled upon a line that seems to apply best:

I'd rather be lucky or skilled any day.

I mean reflexes is being able to hit a button within milliseconds of a situation.

Skill is knowing the proper course of action to take when an event occurs.

But apply this comparison to driving. Most collisions are the cause of young drivers, who should have the best reflexes. OTOH, older drivers get into less collisions, despite slowed reactions. Its because they are more skillful.

Same thing applies to games. If you are fast enough to see every attack coming towards you, you can block, but without technique and skill, you're just going to get owned when it comes time to go offensive. Its just basically high speed turtling.

And beling lucky than skilled. Yeah, I'd choose that.
    Think of it, if you were to get into a fight with someone, you can have all the skill in the world, but might still lose.
    Of course, if you're 100% lucky, than being hurt or such would be "Unlucky", right?

Thanks

Well, if luck is an option, I'll take that too.

Thanks

okay let me take it a step further everybody has a different style of play. Some people like playing up close, keep away, the waiting game or a mixture of either during a fight. I play close up and my brother plays more of the waiting game.

I'm not talking about our speed but the way we think about our next attack. I have another attack setup after my first attack, but thats because I know what comes next.

I could probably not even look at the screen because I know what happens next as long as I can keep pressure on my opponent. I call skill the ability to already decide what your opponent is going to do before they do it ,and reflexes are the ability to change an event as it happens

I guess I agree with miro-kun partially

Same thing applies to games. If you are fast enough to see every attack coming towards you, you can block, but without technique and skill, you're just going to get owned when it comes time to go offensive.

If your an offensive player skill is more important, but a purely defensive player needs reflexes more than skills. I've seen a lot of people (including myself) get owned because they were countered in the middle of a combo or doing a move they thought was going to connect.

Thanks

u need both skills and reflexes.u can't have one without the other. They rely on each other.

Thanks

i think reflex is what builds your skill
    they can't exist one without the other as you start with no skills and only rely on your reflexes!
    [edit]
    ^lol the guy above me said the same thing

Thanks

I'll say reflex is more important as best defense=best offense. As u can't win, if u can't hit. Once u parry, there is always an opening to attack.

Thanks

Reflex, Skill, and also having great speed of execution to back it all up

Thanks

the whole point is to see which one would be the most important thats why its such a good question both are just opposite sides of the same coin but which would you say you use more it's trippy enough to reflect on do you win just because you know what to do or because your instincts are better.

Mikey_ Guest

u know u should have added to reflex and skill, experience, intelligence, and speed in an rpg reflexes aren't gonna do jack. you need intelligence, experience and skill. fighters normally require reflex, speed and experience, fps games normally require reflex the most out of the bunch.

Thanks

In FPS games the player should have a playing style based on his/her skill and reflexes. If he/she has poor reflex to quickly shoot the enemy, it would be better to play as a sniper or back-line. For those who have quick reflexes should be more offensive players, be the front-line.
    Have you seen me before?

Mikey_ Guest

let's not forget acuracy in fps games. being in the frontline then would mean ur prolly using an automatic weapon or a power weapon like the shotgun both of which don't require much skill or acuracy to use while snipers NEED total acuracy and skill AND reflex not just to shoot but to know when to shoot and what to do when they're boxed in by enemies who are carrying automatic weapons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m79
    let's not forget acuracy in fps games. being in the frontline then would mean ur prolly using an automatic weapon or a power weapon like the shotgun both of which don't require much skill or acuracy to use while snipers NEED total acuracy and skill AND reflex not just to shoot but to know when to shoot and what to do when they're boxed in by enemies who are carrying automatic weapons.
    Sniper + surrounded by enemies = sure death (unless the sniper is a cheater)
    Have you seen me before?