Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opera vs. Firefox

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
    Opera is no doubt the better browser. Firefox is way over rated only because its open source, like that's a really big deal. For a bare minimal browser, Firefox takes a hell lot more memory than Opera, and this slowness only goes up with their crappy third party plugins. I tried Firefox, while I was using IE, after a friend insisted on how good it is. Given its much better than IE, its really not as great as the hype claims it to be, and I switched to Opera after two weeks.

Firefox also has the shittiest excuse for tabbed browsing without some sort of tabbed browsing plugin. It's just a really really bad browser in general. And what's with that spreadfirefox site spending $250,000 pulling one terrible ad in the NY Times, you'd think they spend $250 sending a competent programmer to Morzilla to fix the memory leak in the software.
    You seem to have used FireFox when it was in its early stages. No plug in is required for tabbed browsing in Firefox... It's tabbed browsing doesn't look like ass either, and works quite nicely since you can scroll between tabs using mouse gestures(right click+mwheel, but you can change this. There's a mousegestures thing with a GUI, but that's fancy and resource consuming. I prefer the simpler one which I mentioned since it works fast and accurately)

Why not give it another try? I'll promise to give Opera a try myself...

Btw, Firefox works like lightning unless you're running a very shitty comp. If you get some slow preformance, tweaking some settings in the about:config page fixes that. It doesn't run all that great on this Pentium Celeron 2.2Ghz I'm on, but it works with absolutely no slowdown on a P3 clocking in at 533Mhz. At times it does fill up your memory if you've browsed a lot and left it open for a long time, even when you've closed all the other tabs and shit, but restarting FF clears that up very nicely. It's not like it slows it down or anything though...
    Last edited by Soeru; 22nd-January-2005 at 01:15.

Thanks

Nope, I've used firefox when it was in 0.93 - 1.0, and I still keep 1.0 installed just to use it once in awhile to confirm that it still is a complete waste. Actually, I also keep it to test out my webpages to see how well it shows up on Firefox.

I'm running Firefox on
    XP SP2
    Athlon 3000+
    512mb RAM

Mouse gestures in Opera is really convienient once you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    You seem to have used FireFox when it was in its early stages. No plug in is required for tabbed browsing in Firefox... It's tabbed browsing doesn't look like ass either, and works quite nicely since you can scroll between tabs using mouse gestures(right click+mwheel, but you can change this. There's a mousegestures thing with a GUI, but that's fancy and resource consuming. I prefer the simpler one which I mentioned since it works fast and accurately)

Why not give it another try? I'll promise to give Opera a try myself...

Btw, Firefox works like lightning unless you're running a very shitty comp. If you get some slow preformance, tweaking some settings in the about:config page fixes that. It doesn't run all that great on this Pentium Celeron 2.2Ghz I'm on, but it works with absolutely no slowdown on a P3 clocking in at 533Mhz. At times it does fill up your memory if you've browsed a lot and left it open for a long time, even when you've closed all the other tabs and shit, but restarting FF clears that up very nicely. It's not like it slows it down or anything though...
    Last edited by Grim Reaper; 22nd-January-2005 at 01:58.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
    Nope, I've used firefox when it was in 0.93 - 1.0, and I still keep 1.0 installed just to use it once in awhile to confirm that it still is a complete waste. Actually, I also keep it to test out my webpages to see how well it shows up on Firefox.

I'm running Firefox on
    XP SP2
    Athlon 3000+
    512mb RAM

Mouse gestures in Opera is really convienient once you get used to it.
    ... why did you mention that FireFox requires a plug-in for tabbed browsing?

Oh, and please describe the mouse gestures in Opera. The one I use now is sign-driven. An "L" for example closes the tab/window, but this can all be changed.

You trash-talk FireFox and praise Opera with confidence, I will try this out soon enough...
    Last edited by Soeru; 22nd-January-2005 at 02:10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    ... why did you mention that FireFox requires a plug-in for tabbed browsing?

Oh, and please describe the mouse gestures in Opera. The one I use now is sign-driven. An "L" for example closes the tab/window, but this can all be changed.

You trash-talk FireFox and praise Opera with confidence, I will try this out soon enough...
    Compared to the firefox users and their opinions of Opera, I'd say I'm being rather fair to Firefox by comparison. The only reason firefox users constantly give after they run out of examples of how firefox wins against opera is that firefox is free, not a very good reason.

Does Firefox have good features? Absolutely, its fast when compared to IE, and in practice at least, safer to use. However, Opera is far superior in speed and has many more useful features at the cost of less memory.

You can find Opera's mouse gestures at http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/index.dml, you basically right click, hold and perform the gesture, makes browsing easier once you get used to it.
    Last edited by Grim Reaper; 22nd-January-2005 at 07:06.

Mikey_ Guest

not everyone who's chosen to go with firefox do it just because it's free. some of us just prefer it. some of us never used opera before and really don't even want to and some don't have any reason to.i choose firefox over opera because i have no experience using opera. but its not entirely because opera isn't free. opera can be free if it wants i'd still use and prefer firefox.

Thanks

Why do people wet themselves over tabbed browsing? Honestly I've been using IE for several years and I've never encountered a time when I thought "Man, I really need to have all of my windows up there instead of on the taskbar."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pook
    Why do people wet themselves over tabbed browsing? Honestly I've been using IE for several years and I've never encountered a time when I thought "Man, I really need to have all of my windows up there instead of on the taskbar."
    I always used to open shit in new windows with IE, which could get confusing after a while not to mention hogs your taskbar. Only reason I didnt see a need for tabbed browsing way back then is because I had never heard of/used it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pook
    I've always thought tabbed browsing was probably a stupid idea, until I started using tabbed browsing just for the fun of it, then I found it to be really convenient, I'm sure you will too.

Thanks

Hmm, I've been reading how you tell Firefox is better than Opera because it has Muose Gestures, tabbed browsing and plug-in system. WTF? Opera uses plug-ins too, it has tabbed browsing and mouse gestures are built-in, no need for external plug-in as Firefox does.

And about that banner in Opera, you can get it away by buying the browser or just find a serial key with Google. And you can customize Opera's toolbars any way you like, from all possible features visible to minimized toolbars where only you can see is the web page, i.e. no toolbars, menubars or address bar, just the page.

I'm not sure about Firefox, but in Opera you can switch between Publisher and User styles. So if the web page you are watching is using annoying fonts or colors, you can switch to your style with only one mouse click. And there is image filtering, with {Show all images/Show cached images/Show no images}. And I like Opera's ability to control all cookies, passwords and cache. And Javascript, plug-ins, cookies, pop-ups, sounds, animations, Java, proxies and referrer can be toggled on or off with only one click after pressing F12. And this browser can also pretend to be Mozilla or IE.

BTW, Is Firefox able to re-open windows that the user has already closed? In Opera if you accidentally close a page, you can re-open it.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Nope godjones I can't see a single thing you can't do in either stock firefox or with extensions, that includes the closed tabs and windows I'm fairly sure.

But the reason I like firefox is because it has more functionality than internet explorer but, get this, it doesnt force too much extra bloat onto the user and leaves it to them to decide features they want installed. Which I feel is nicer for the browsing 'professional'

Thanks

What extra bloat? Opera's light browser. The things you don't need can be hidden by the user himself. Does firefox support in-site navigation? Or is Opera the only browser capable of doing it?
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    What extra bloat? Opera's light browser. The things you don't need can be hidden by the user himself. Does firefox support in-site navigation? Or is Opera the only browser capable of doing it?
    what do u mean with in site navigation?
    Signature removed by Administrator. One picture per sig limit.<!--
    -->

Thanks

You can press Home, Contents, Index, Search, Glossary, Help, First, Previous, Next, Last, Up, Copyright, Author, Newsfeed to navigate site logically. I don't mean those normal history-buttons Back and Next.
    See www.w3.org, as it is the one developing these standards, it also uses them. It uses this navigation thing too, but only Contents is available on front page.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

umm, there is a lot of people talking about the big evil banner at the top... Here is a screenshot of my "big evil banner".

thats all... Play with your settings and you can change your banner... Also, for some pages, (I know you can do this with Firefox) you can just hit F11 to go full screen.

And like someone else said, just get a key and voila, no more banner.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

You can choose between Google ads or Opera generic ads.
    Or just google for Opera serial number or ask me... get's rid of it completely.
    Have you seen me before?