Thread: A Guide to Save States and Memory Saves

Thanks
    EP Points

Default A Guide to Save States and Memory Saves

Here is a Small Guide to Save State if you are having Trouble applying them

A few pointers

1. Know your Extensions

The saves usually will come in two formats for an emulator i.e. Zsnes has a Zst extension file and an srm extension file, One is a save state and the other is a battery save (when you get to a save point on the game)

The extension on a rom doesn't matter, some games for the snes have smc extensions, but sometimes the have sfc. this really doesn't make a difference as far as saves go

2. Know your Region

Make sure that the reigion is correct. So that you don't use the incorrect. All saves are welcome, but I think that people prefer NTSC saves (US)

3. Names of games

As well as extensions, you have to make sure the game name matches the save, including CAPS, i.e, Super Castlevania (US).zst will not work with super castlevania(US).smc two reasons for this are the capital letters are not there (the underlined) and there is no space between the castlevania and the (US) (also underlined)

4. Know where to place your saves

Different Emulators have different locations for saves some may be in the same folder as the emulator or they may be in the same folder as the roms, in some cases there is a save folder already made up and sometimes you can make a directory for save states

5. This isn't a technical note, but if possible when playing games with a character name selection, try to keep a default name or in the cases where a default name is not possible keep it blank

Snes Emulators

Zsnes Save Types:

srm: Battery back up
    zst: Save State

Gameboy Advance Emulators

Exceptions:

EZ Flash Cart:

This is a actual cart that can be used on a actual Gameboy Advance. Saves from this can be uploaded but cannot be used on an emulator

Vba Save Types:

Nes Emulators

Genesis Emulators

I'll put more in this later
    Last edited by Stark; 17th-January-2005 at 12:31.