Thread: Read Before Posting About Viruses

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Read Before Posting About Viruses

This is for all the people that come here and say that some of the files that they downloaded contain Trojans/Viruses/Spyware. Im hear to tell you that they dont. At-Games helps us pay for the site and it may come up- in your Norton that they are Viruses. But I assure you all that they are not. All you need to do is go to your Ad-remove window, and just remove the stupid thing. But I, as well as everyone else here, Assure you that there is nothing to be worried about. Thank You.
    Last edited by Ryan; 5th-January-2005 at 19:14. Reason: It was Stickied :)

Thanks

Exclamation

A warning to anyone new here. This post is a flat out lie. The executables on this site are indeed packaged with spyware and trojans. It goes far beyond a harmless partnership with At-Games and installing a few links in your web browser bookmarks. It is also much more difficult to remove than simply using Add/Remove. Your browser settings will get hijacked. You will have multiple unidentified processes running. Even Ad-Aware won't completely clean it all.

If you decide to support this type of unconscionable behavior and download files from this site, do yourself a favor and use Winrar to extract the files instead of running the self-extracting executable. Also, don't bother to complain to these forums or the IRC channel, as the "mods" appear to be in on the action and will make posts such as these, claiming that everything is fine and it is just your faulty anti-virus scanner.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 8th-January-2005 at 23:19.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yes seeing as how Im a mod or admin. Im just another member around here. And technically the files that do contain trojans and spyware do not belong to us. they are simple uploaded to the server from people that are not members on the message board. So next time, try some research on the files here and who uploaded them. Because as far as I can tell all the files WE did contain no such shit. Thank you.

Thanks
    EP Points

You should have gotten this thread locked, and not just stickied.

BTW Zing what do you gain in posting this...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Zing's post, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of how not to handle matters like this. This person knows absolutely jack-shit, but that doesn't stop him from grandstanding and leveling inane accusations at the staff. Rather then considering the fact that we're stepping up to quell these claims because there is simply no merit to them, he'd have you all believe that the staff is in on some grand conspiricy, as if either we, or MasJ for that matter, have anything to gain from putting viruses into our downloads.

Newsflash genius. I don't get payed to be a moderator. I get no perks. No kick-backs. No special treatment. Nothing. Noone on the staff does. I get nothing in return but the enjoyment that comes of being part of such a great community, and the privilidge of being able to help shape it by being a moderator. As such, neither myself nor anyone else for that matter, have any reason to lie to you. If there were virus' in our files, we would tell you straight up. There is simply no reason for us to lie to you, so you can take us at our word.

The files that EP puts up do not contain spyware or virus'. Now having said that, we cannot be held responsible for files uploaded by outside parties, so anything you download that wasn't upped by a member of the site or the boards, you download at your own risk. If you get a virus from any of that, then don't come whining to us, and pointing the finger at us like you're on some high-and-mighty crusade.

Also, it's been suggested that if the .exe files give you a hard time, that you extract them with Winrar, by several members of the very board you accuse of trying to lie to you, for that matter. It seems to me that we've been on the level about things, and that you should step off your saop-box and back your ass out of EP.

The bottom line is this. If you think we're full of shit, and that we're out to infect you with virus' and spyware, etc., then you have the option to simply choose not to download from our site, problem solved.

EDIT: Yeah, while it's a bit after the fact, I've gone ahead and closed it. I'll leave Zing's post intact, so that people know what not to post in regards to this issue.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 8th-January-2005 at 23:23.

Thanks

Oh, and by the way, I haven't had a Anti Virus program in months, I know the files aren't viruses. The original post is true entirely.
    I completed the internetz