Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: file sharing music: Help or harm the industry?

Thanks
    EP Points

It hurts the Industry by them losing lots and lots of money. But it helps us by letting us get music we cant offord sometimes.

Thanks

Downloading music is like my bullshit filter, its to keep me from buying crappy cds. If I like the songs enough I'll support the band and buy their cd.

Thanks

Ha, I live in Finland, the promised land of music downloaders.

Here the law says that we are allowed to download it, but not share it. So if anyone is sharing music, I can download it, but I'm not allowed to make anyone able to download it again...

The police even raided some homes with P2P programs seeding all kinds of copyrighted material such as games. They took the computers away to analyze them. I have to be careful with my BitTorrent...
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    More then half of the people living in the US do something that is Illegal at least once a day. We are all Criminals of one sort or another.

Like i said before. If your going to do it, do it. Though you should know what happens if you get cought... or more so selected in this case, but if you know that and still wish to do it, Then by all means do it, Just don't try to justify it.
    Amen! I've been trying to say the same thing for quite some time. I always find it funny when people attempt to justify thier illegal actions. There's really no two ways around it. Illegal is illegal. Instead of wasting time trying to delude yourself and convince others that it's alright in some way, just own up to the fact that you're breaking the law and get over it. Noone here cares what you do, so at the very least, stop trying to justify it to us.

Thanks
    EP Points

Amen to Cyber. I bow down before you. Ive basically been saying the same thing to all I know(Even Here). But Ive just been wording it differently. Maybe some of you know some of the comments Ive had to Piracy in general.

Thanks

If you decide to share or download music illegally, remember, there is NO WAY to hide your IP address and the chance of you getting caught isn't zero. It's always have been illegal and it will be for a trillion years.
    GODJonez, i think every country follows the US law (and Bill Gates) when it's technology related. And you are allow to download mp3 if in the first place the company release it into the internet for free, and Cyber, you have put up a great fight . We need people like you in this world to show people what is right from the wrong. .
    Last edited by happy_gal; 1st-January-2005 at 06:53. Reason: spelling error

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Eh, thanks, but I haven't done anything. Nothing like that, at any rate. In fact, I'd be the last person to turn to for moral guidance, when it comes down to it. I just think people should stop trying to fool themselves and others about thier illegal activities .

Thanks
    EP Points

Well thanks for that and all but the point was not legality anyway, it was a question of benifits vs losses.

If a law is glaringly wrong, should'nt something be done about it? (I'm not saying thats defiately the case here, mind. Still to decide that.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Most of the stuff i DL doesnt come out on CD its mostly freestyle and crap like that.
    And oh the mixtapes are hard to get shipped over here so i just got to hope that they are on the net.
    But i buy Cd's if they are good if i find a shit one then i think to myself good i didnt by that crappy Cd i saved myself 20 bucks and i hope it sends a msg to the artist like "Yo wanker your new shit suck get off tour and start writing some good shit wanker"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Norgus
    Well thanks for that and all but the point was not legality anyway, it was a question of benifits vs losses.
    Ya Sorry about that. Kosmo Yagkoto, kind of got me and everyone else off topic.

I dont think it Benifits them, but i don't think they are suffering as big as loss as they think they are from downloads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Ya Sorry about that. Kosmo Yagkoto, kind of got me and everyone else off topic.

I dont think it Benifits them, but i don't think they are suffering as big as loss as they think they are from downloads.
    If i jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

Mmh. I realise there's a difference, Kosmo Yagkoto and others, but let's say you live in this country. In this country, it's illegal for women to... Move at more than one metre per second when walking/running/what ever. This is a law. If you break this law, you're put to death straight away. Would you not disagree with this, even though it is a law?

That, on another scale, is what Norgus and others (including myself) are doing. While we are well aware that file sharing or what ever isn't typically legal, we argue that it should be. I personally think that all software (except like... .txts regarding national security somewhere) should be freely copiable, since copying it costs nothing (or at least, close enough to nothing). Artists and such being paid for what they do can be debated - don't bother trying to deny that people can make good music without being paid to do so - and the way they should be paid can be debated as well, but I don't think the consumers should pay for a copy of a copy of a copy of something that didn't cost anything but time and technical skill to make.

I'm good at this stuff.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you skinner *cries*

I think there are probably other stupid and outdated laws around too, but the ones reguarding music/software and the internet are the ones I currently notice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happy_gal
    GODJonez, i think every country follows the US law (and Bill Gates) when it's technology related. And you are allow to download mp3 if in the first place the company release it into the internet for free
    Can you understand Finnish or Swedish language? If you do, read it yourself. And the highest court here made a decision that whatever the EULA of the program says, Finnish laws always come first, and if there is a confilct between the law and EULA, it is EULA that is wrong. But people abroad don't understand this and it therefore causes confilcts between us and the program makers living in USA, for example.

As for downloading music, I do it to get new music for me to listen. Doing it doesn't make their sells of CD's smaller, because the price is so high that if I weren't able to download music, I would just miss it. I won't buy it in any case. Why? I don't have spare money to spend on music. The life's expensive, as is said in a commercial by DNA tele operator.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner8
    Mmh. I realise there's a difference, Kosmo Yagkoto and others, but let's say you live in this country. In this country, it's illegal for women to... Move at more than one metre per second when walking/running/what ever. This is a law. If you break this law, you're put to death straight away. Would you not disagree with this, even though it is a law?

That, on another scale, is what Norgus and others (including myself) are doing. While we are well aware that file sharing or what ever isn't typically legal, we argue that it should be. I personally think that all software (except like... .txts regarding national security somewhere) should be freely copiable, since copying it costs nothing (or at least, close enough to nothing). Artists and such being paid for what they do can be debated - don't bother trying to deny that people can make good music without being paid to do so - and the way they should be paid can be debated as well, but I don't think the consumers should pay for a copy of a copy of a copy of something that didn't cost anything but time and technical skill to make.

I'm good at this stuff.

True... Saddly if the Copyright law was removed their would be huge negative side effects, and it's not possible to not inforce the copyright laws for digital copying, but inforce them for real world copying, the system does not work that way, people getting digitaly ripped off would cry foul, and the courts would agree.
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 2nd-January-2005 at 23:11.