Thread: PS2 Slide Card Tutorial [Covers how to play PSX copies on your PS2]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default PS2 Slide Card Tutorial [Covers how to play PSX copies on your PS2]

Alright, this is a quick tutorial on how to prep your PS2 for use with a slide card, so that you may play your PSX backups on a non-modded PS2 using it in conjunction with a PSOne Gameshark.

Required Tools:

Slide Card. You can make your own. Schematics courtesy of Zorlon

A PSOne Gameshark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prepping your system for use with the Slide Card:

Step 1. Open your PS2's drive door, and then power the system off by pressing the power switch on the back. This leaves the drive door open so you can peform the next step.

Step 2. Remove the little face-plate on the drive door with the Playstation logo. It comes off rather easily.

Step 3. Power back on, and close the door.

Now, with the face-plate off, you'll be ready to use the slide the card.

Using the Slide Card:

Step 1. Place your Gameshark into the system and power it on. When you get to the point in which the Gameshark prompts you to "Start Game Without Codes", get your slide card ready.

Step 2. Now, with the hole facing to the right, slide the card into the gap left after you removed the face-plate. Slide it from the extreme left to the right, and you should feel it catch and the door will open a bit. Holding the card in place, you'll then want to slowly pull forward, fully opening the door. Once it's open, place your burned PSOne game in, and then push the drive closed.

Step 3. Take your card, with the hole still facing to the right, and slide it in until you feel it catch. Then move the card from the right to the left until you can no longer move it, thus closing the drive *. Press X twice, and you're good to go!!

Addendums: * This is essential, as simply pushing the drive closed is only part of the process. If you do not slide the drive completely shut with the card, you risk damaging your disk and potentially your system.

This tutorial is subject to change, and will be updated accordingly. I'll do my best to answer any questions, and welcome any additional help that serves to make this quide more complete.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not responsible for any damage done to your system. Though if done right, this thing isn't harmful. Be careful, and you won't screw things up. However, if you do, then don't blame me.

Thanks

This is a great guide i will post my resualts once i get the stuff to do it with.

Thanks

I can also say that this works i just made my card, and it worked. thank's cyber.

Thanks

I hope this works, I'm using my gym membership card for the Slide Card. :P

Thanks

that will work you dont have to make it like theres.. i have a rough sketch of mine
    But dont use that card if you dont want to cut it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    EP Points

Question, do you have to use a game shark or will any Cheat disk that opens the drive so you can insert your disk work, and could you use an PS2 gameshark to load PS1 games... or will that cause problems.

Thanks

The auto eject's will not work because the disk keeps spinning. you dont have to use a cheat disk for ps1 games though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Question, do you have to use a game shark or will any Cheat disk that opens the drive so you can insert your disk work, and could you use an PS2 gameshark to load PS1 games... or will that cause problems.
    Any PSOne cheat disk should work to load PSone games, as long as it has an option to start your game without codes. Gamesharks and Action Replays are two such devices. However, if the cheat device auto-opens the drive, it will not work. The reason behind this is that once the drive is opened by either ejecting the drive or pressing the button to open it, the system will do a copy protection check, and your backup will not load. Using the slide card to open and close the drive. the PS2 drive is never truly opened, and thus a copy protection check is not performed.

As for your second question, no, you cannot use a PS2 Gameshark to load up a PSOne game. I'm not sure of the technical reasons behind this, but be assured that trying this method will yeild nothing but a black screen.
    You can however use older version PS2 Gamesharks to load up PS2 games that are on CD's, or ripped from DVD's to CD's. However, this method is limiting. You're either stuck playing CD based PS2 games, or stuck playing DVD rips, which more often then not feature slightly higher TOC's (Table of Contents) then the Gameshark. This can lead to loading issues, if the game works at all.

The PS2 Swap Magic kit works on this same principle, but features a full 4.6GB DVD to load your DVD games with, as well as a CD for your CD based games and emulators.. The only limitation is that DVD9 games cannot be played using the Swap Magic, but these games are few and far between, and are often ripped to two 4.6GB DVD's.