Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSCX2 rulles!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by zen_master
    Aint it the truth, I just got ugraded to cable about two weeks ago and its been awsome! 56K dosent even come close...

I remember downloading a file that was about 1.5 Gigs on a 56k modem , it was hell.
    I bet it was hell just out of interest How long would it take to download a ps2 iso(I'm guessing 700mb to 1.4gb) with that better connection?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by zen_master
    How is it old news when the official pcsx2 site just released these screens two days ago, and I thought that no one heard about it becuase there isnt mutch talk about. But anyways the only reason I made the post to get more people interested in PS2 emulation.
    He's talking about the emulator itself guy. That's old news indeed. And I'm pretty sure there would be more talk about it if there was anything worth talking about. As it can't yet play commercial games at anywhere near a decent frame-rate, I suppose noone's really that interested in discussing it.

Thanks

Ok unless people havent figured out by now the thread was all about the screens of pscx2, then someone sayd that they didnt know there was a PS2 emulator out there or something, than I sayd some things and it went on like this. And why should I explain myself, if you dont like talking about it then dont. All I try to do is show some cool screenshots. Dont like em, dont look at em. What else can I say?...

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll leave those shots..... but could you please in future not direct link to them. Link to either the webpage with them on, upload them to this site, or host them on your own serverspace.

Perhaps use something like uploadit if needs be.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No need to get your panties in a wad there bud. You snidely remarked how you were surprised that the biggest emulation site on the net didn't know about this emulator, and I was just clearing up that misconception by pointing out that the only reason it's not talked about is because there's not much to talk about just yet. I never said anything about the quality of the thread, or that noone would be interested in talking about it now that you've brought it up. You get me?

Oh, and just cause a few people here didn't know about it doesn't mean noone here does.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 20th-September-2004 at 22:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    4% framerate, rules. Ahem ahem.
    That's a tad unfair The PS2 is a ghastly complex machine to emulate. I did explain about the whys and wherefores a while back, but was mocked by certain people for talking shit.

Believe me it is - as an educated guess I'd say it's as tough if not moreso than the GC.

Worth pointing out that beta builds usually have debug stuff running in the background too, so the actual thing may run a small amount faster (not a great deal from, few fps).
    Last edited by Del_Boy; 20th-September-2004 at 22:15.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Del_Boy
    That's a tad unfair The PS2 is a ghastly complex machine to emulate. I did explain about the whys and wherefores a while back, but was mocked by certain people for talking shit.

Believe me it is - as an educated guess I'd say it's as tough if not moreso than the GC.
    I don't know why you'd be mocked, given that you know a fair bit more then most people here about this kind of thing. Something I was going to point out to Zen_Master, but ended up believing to be unnecessary.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion

Oh, and just cause a few people here didn't know about it doesn't mean noone here does.
    I think I'm the weakest link in this thread as far as this is concerned.

Thanks

I deleted the GC thread. And about the screenshots, I guess I just got carried away a bit..

Thanks
    EP Points

Well you can post the pics by all means - just don't direct link. I know I may sound harsh but direct linking to files/pics costs sites money. I don't believe any of them have issues in you actually taking the pics and uploading them to another site - providing credit is given.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Del_Boy

Worth pointing out that beta builds usually have debug stuff running in the background too, so the actual thing may run a small amount faster (not a great deal from, few fps).
    You don't need to be such an einstein to see that the ps2 is simply the best console on teh mark3t! (EMO E powa!)

I know alot of texture debugs and also alot of polygon debug routines are running in the background, the proof being the wireframe picture. But, as long as I know, the fastest speed I could see was 19fps on a still picture when you only need to press start....
    Long way to go before you can acheive good speeds. I just don't think that waiting until X date is worth the money (since time = money)
    If you really want to play ps2 games, work a bit, buy a ps2 and a modchip/swap magic/whatever plastic thingie. Burn some games, play, have fun, while the emulator is still under developpement.

I agree though it could become more than just a few fps, maybe even emulate fully the ps2 (doubt doubt doubt) but you'll just need to wait a bit again.

Cya when the 25fps movie shows up, polobunny

P.S. I, only use an emulator to test the games before I burn them. I just find the real console to be billion times better than an emulator, my choice I guess.

Thanks
    EP Points

In many respects the PS2 is far more complex to emulate then the NGC or XBox. The XBox uses PC architecture just slightly different executable. The NGC uses an ATI gfx card in it and is similar to some kind of Apple computer. The PS2 on the other hand is pretty much all propritary parts which you have to research more for information on.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by knowitman
    In many respects the PS2 is far more complex to emulate then the NGC or XBox. The XBox uses PC architecture just slightly different executable. The NGC uses an ATI gfx card in it and is similar to some kind of Apple computer. The PS2 on the other hand is pretty much all propritary parts which you have to research more for information on.
    The graphics card on the GC had 0% to do with ATI ATI just bought into the company afterwards. The Flipper chip was designed by ArtX.

As for PS2 emulation, I don't think it's applicable to be looking towards it to run games at any reasonable speed anytime soon. By the time it runs games well, PCs will be over twice the speed they are now most likely, and the PS2 will already have been superceeded by the PS3 etc

Emulation is believe it or not, not just meant for people to play illegal games It's often done as a challenge from the programmers POV. To get the games to boot is a massive achievement - the amount of stuff that needs to be emulated often w/o documention makes me applaud the developers of any nextgen emulator.

AFAIK the PS2 is similar to the Saturn in many ways (multiprocessor etc).

Thanks
    EP Points

So, if everyone does agree that emulating a ps2 at full speed is not for tomorrow, why are we still posting

Obviously emulation is not only for people to play illegal games, you can also emulate another OS for illegal softwares! Gneh gneh.

But, more seriously, who do install a console emulator only to do "demos" and tests? People are not searching for mapper emulators or tile viewers, they want to play commercial games for less than the usual price. I understand it's prolly a big challenge to boot/play/debug a console game, but people would just not care if it was only to make demos. And the programmers are rarely doing an emulator only to say at the end:
    "Hmmm, I made it! Now im not gonna say it, so no one will ever know I was good enough to play GT4 on my lappy. I made that because I wanted to view how the gfx would render on a computer..."

Out of subject->Talking about all that emulation made the pain grow inside me, thinking about all the psx games that were lying in my user folder under windows xp, which crashed....

Thanks
    EP Points

The thing is, people see an emulator is in development and beg for betas of it. So most devs just decide to release versions of it - problem is, a lot of people then believe it is released because it plays games perfect.

The intention of emulation (if you aren't HLEing it to fuck) is to emulate the hardware with software routines. The theory being, if you do it properly then games will start working as a by product. The more games you can get working (and well) without resorting to game by game hacks the bigger the achievement.

I don't really emulate any next gen consoles - but I do enjoy following their progress from a tech perspective.

PS2/GC/Xbox emulation at the moment isn't good for anyone other than people who don't depend on them as a method to play illegal games for people who like testing etc (and there are many) it's good.