Thread: IE problem(not MS bashing)

Thanks

Default IE problem(not MS bashing)

I just accidentally uninstalled IE trying to remove Windows Messenger(old MSN) from my comp. I tried downloading it from the official MS page, but I only got a 500kb file that after installing doesn't seem to have worked(no icon on desktop, no executable in the /Program Files/Internet Explorer directory).
    I was able to open an html file with IE by simply double clicking it, but I can't seem to find out how to get the executable/icon back on my desktop. What should I do? I already tried Windows Update.

Uncle Evil Guest

Go to Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> then click Add/Remove Windows Components Then click the check box for IE and click next and it should reinstall

Thanks

Uncle Evil Guest

Yes Mozilla is much better but not everyone wants it....

Thanks

Damn, I'd swear I did that already. Thanks a lot, you get a cookie.

Edit: Yes, I love FireFox and I use it, unfortunately not everyone who uses this comp likes Mozilla...

Uncle Evil Guest

A cookie? so did that work?

Thanks

I didn't think it was possible to uninstall IE..although I use 2k and not xp.

Uncle Evil Guest

wel you can uninstall anything with the regedit

Thanks

Create a shortcut on your desktop to: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Thanks

Well if anyone knows of a decent guide for doing so, I'd like to remove all of the shitty windows components I can, such as IE and Outlook express...Isn't IE so highly integrated into windows that you still have much of it?

Uncle Evil Guest

Well im not that great at it but that was the only way i was able to get all the spyware off my comp (mentioned in another thread) that just wouldnt stop coming. i got into reg edit and deleted anything that looked suspicouse

Thanks

I'm not willing to just delete at will, don't wanna fuck up my comp. When doing this, you had to kill IE as well?

Uncle Evil Guest

no this was from "cash back" it wouldnt let me uninstall it and it just kept bringing in more and more spyware and the more i deleted the more came in so i just disabled the prog through regiedit and restarted and deleted the folder within program files

Edit- Do you have MSN cuase if you do i can add you and maybe help you clean out and get rid of IE