Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSX/N64 converter troubles.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default PSX/N64 converter troubles.

Alright, so I ordered this PSX/N64 converter off the web. Got it today, and the driver disk that came with it doesn't seem to have the drivers for this particular product.
    It doesn't even have a company name on the box so I can't look for them, nor does it have a model number that I can search for.

Now, my question is; do any of you know where to get drivers for devices such as these? Unfortunately due to what little info I have, I can't tell you just which converter it is, but I'm sure if someone provided a source I'd be able to find something that'll work. At least that's what I'm hoping.

EDIT: Seems like there is some sort of model number after all. It's XK-PC2004. At least I think that's a model number. Gah...

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

What OS are you running?
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Um...Windows XP I believe. It's a friends computer.

EDIT: I should note that the disk has several drivers on it, and indeed might have the one I need. But due to the fact that there's no product number or anything on the box, I have no clue which on it might be. I suppose I could run them all, but it's a bother.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 14th-August-2004 at 18:58.

Thanks

Hmm, well XP detects USB PnP devices right away. So, try reinstalling/updating his USB drivers, or unplug it and plug it back in and see if XP detects it. I am pretty sure I have the same device, as I only know of one that has both the PSX and N64 plugs in one, and mine works once I plug it in, no hassle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, I plugged it in, and it works. However, the analog stick doesn't work on degrees. It's just all or nothing, which makes games that rely on the stick nigh-unplayable. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix that? If it helps, I'm using it on PJ64.

Oh, and while we're at it, do you have any suggestions as to the best plug-ins for that particular emulator? Thanks Mushindo.

Thanks
    EP Points

The best plugin for N64 emulators IMO is Nrages one, should be included with PJ64, but if not the latest version can be obtained from here: http://members.chello.at/n-rage/dinput8/index.html

For the joystick problem, at a base level I'd go and callibrate it in your Windows control panel - if degrees of movement aren't working in that, then it's a driver problem. If it does, then messing about with Nrages plugin should fix it

Thanks

Sounds like you need to configure the emulator's controller plugin, or calibrate it in windows, or both. For PJ64 there is/should be something called analog range, which should be set at 100% and analog deadzone which should be set at 0%, for best control. I would describe it better, but I haven't reinstalled any emulators yet Now, if you have to calibrate it in windows, which I am sure you will have to at least once, depending on the game. Go to Start > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Game Controllers > 4 axis 16 button joystick > Properties > Settings Tab > and finally calibrate
    That should help fix everything

For plugins, I use either Jabo's/Pete's or glide 64 for the graphics, and I really can't remember the sound or controller plugins atm I'm sure others can help you in that area better

EDIT: Del_Boy wants to beat me to the punch eh?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well you elaborated more than me Mushindo so you win

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It does indeed look like a calibration issue. Unfortunately I can't seem to do anything about it. When it asks me to move the stick in a circle, I'm unable to move it all the way around. And when it asks me to move the bar for the Z-axis all the way left and right and up and down, I'm unable to do so. It stops about a quarter of the way in either direction. Hmmn. Any suggestions? I don't think it's the controller, because I was using it on my N64 just yesterday and it worked fine.

Thanks

Yeah, it does that the first time, it seems. Just show the full range and calibrate once more. It seems when I switch from PSX to N64 the ranges mess up, so if you calibrate it twice, that should fix things fully If it still does the same thing, test it in the emu and see if it works anyway. Mario 64 works best.
    Last edited by mushindo; 14th-August-2004 at 19:25.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for all the help Mushindo. I'll be sure to try it out. If it doesn't work I'm not too worried. The thing only cost ten bucks. But still, I'd actually like to play some N64 with an N64 controller, because it's nigh-impossible to set up a PSX controller for most of it's games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    Thanks for all the help Mushindo. I'll be sure to try it out. If it doesn't work I'm not too worried. The thing only cost ten bucks. But still, I'd actually like to play some N64 with an N64 controller, because it's nigh-impossible to set up a PSX controller for most of it's games.
    I always enjoyed using my PSX controller for the N64 games with exception of the C buttons that were never placed in a good area compared to the N64 controller
    So I make games now sort of. Check the out the one I have in the IGF this year, its totally free: www.mackvswindows.com

Also add me on things.
    twitter: solidusjoe
    Game networks on my profile.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Eh, nothing seems to be working. I can't seem to configure it properly, even after several attempts.

I appriciate the help though. Thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Search google, thats the best i can tell you. my PS2 drivers didnt work, so you just search

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

After messing around with it some more, it seems like it's only the up axis that doesn't work well. Everything else runs pretty damned fine now, but I can't move up. Mario will start to run, stop, slow down and generally piss me the hell off. Any further suggestions?

And telling me to Google it isn't helpful. Already did that, and all I got was some shitty Chinese site that offered little in the way of help.

EDIT: I moved the adapter to another USB port, and now the emulator doesn't recognise the thing at all. This is really fucking pissing me off.....
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 14th-August-2004 at 21:35.