Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What game(s) would inspire to kill?

Thanks

Fun games are fun.

Thanks

Manhunt is the most likely game I can think of...but I seriously doubt a game could cause killing...In the words of my current MSN name "It's not the fault of video games that killing people is so much fun."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Some of you seem to forget that a lot of kids nowadays have some form of mental instability. Those with said mental instabilities are more susceptible to the promotions of violence in the media. However, the most likely thing to influence someone to do something bad to someone else isn't movies or videogames or music. It's actually you're local new network.

Think about it. Blood and violence make the headlines every day. It's what all news stations want; violence sells. I'd rather hear about some rapist than the progress of a baby panda, to be quite honest.

I think, if there is something to blame in the media, it's everything. Everything is focused on violence nowadays that it's hard not to be slightly influenced by it. Of course, that doesn't mean we're gonna become serial killers because we saw it in a movie. It just means that we'll likely become slightly more violent when confronted with an undesirable confrontation, because that is what we see all around us.

Anyways. If violence in videogames really is the case, then I don't think there is a single videogame you can pin the blame on. I've played a lot of very violent videogames, and they only become more realistic as time goes on. Think about it. For those of us who have been in gaming for more than a decade, we've evolved from shooting up Hitler and his schutzstaffel in <i>Wolfenstein 3D</i> to blasting alien scum in <i>DOOM</i> to killing random people on the streets and jacking their cars in <i>Grand Theft Auto</i> to the animalistic killing spree that is <i>Painkiller</i>.

Of course, when you think about it -- and I use myself as an example here, although I know I'm a minority when considered in the gaming population -- look at the games that we grew up with. The Nintendo NES and Super Nintendo had what? Almost no violent games on them. There was minor violence, but it was so minimalistic that you really couldn't pin it down to anything. I think the worst it ever got for the Super Nintendo was the <i>Mortal Kombat</i> games, and for the Nintendo NES I don't think it really made it that far at all. The bloodiest I've seen so far is when you kill Gannon in <i>The Legend of Zelda</i> and he turns into that blob of blood. These are the games that I play all the time, and the once that are most likely to influence my habits, and I think that they actually have a better influence than the games of today, which are chockful of violence. But then again, what does it matter? It's just a simulated environment. If anything, we should look at videogames as a blessing, since they let people vent their anger into a videogame instead of into a reality where they might actually hurt someone.

And I'm pretty sure no one is going to be able to use the argument that <i>Duck Hunt</i> and <i>Hogan's Alley</i> trained people to use guns. If you do, I will slaughter you in your sleep.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 27th-July-2004 at 16:26.

Thanks

There was violence in NES games, it's just that the system wasn't powerful enough to display it at the level of graphic detail we have nowadays.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Exactly why I don't consider it too bad. I'm pretty sure <i>River City Ransom</i> didn't inspire too many people to break into a bloody rampage. Nor did <i>Rampage</i> inspire too many people to turn into monster apes and destroy buildings.

Thanks

If I remember things correctly, Chiller was supposed to be the end of the world.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah, yes. I forgot about <i>Chiller</i>... that would be the only controversial game for the NES that's really worth mentioning. Of course, it's not very well known, especially since it was released in 1986. Didn't exactly "take the world by storm."

Thanks

Heh yeah games making u violent is bullshit we all know that and have said it so i aint going over it again. Although sometimes when playing a game i dislike( deadToRghts) i seriously wish an ill fate on whoever made that game. heh but i aint gonna go kill them just pray someone else does j/k. Again some retards when im playing games online can piss me off. Like all the immature kiddies on Bnet that is the onyl way i can think games can influence violence. I have heard about some ppl in korea i think it was that like killed people over disputes in Lineage.although they were probaly disturbed people to start with.

I dont know how Gta influences people to kill/steal cars. because in the game teh police come and kick ure ass and if u evade them in comes the army!! unless u got cheats... which dont exist in real life.

Thanks

Originally posted by Subliminal
    Ah, yes. I forgot about <i>Chiller</i>... that would be the only controversial game for the NES that's really worth mentioning. Of course, it's not very well known, especially since it was released in 1986. Didn't exactly "take the world by storm."
    Well, it was 1986. Murder wouldn't have been invented for another 10 years.