View Poll Results: What religion do you follow?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christianity.

31 30.69%
  • Judaism.

1 0.99%
  • Islam.

3 2.97%
  • Buddhism.

3 2.97%
  • Paganism(Celtic religion).

1 0.99%
  • Neo-Paganism.

0 0%
  • Tao-ism.

2 1.98%
  • Other(please state which).

11 10.89%
  • I'm Atheist, no God for me.

31 30.69%
  • I beleive in a God/supreme being, but I don't follow a specific religion.

11 10.89%
  • I'm not sure.

7 6.93%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: What religion do you beleive in?

Thanks

I believe in pants! pants is good!
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a shit, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.
    [/george carlin]

Thanks

atheist. my mother is christian as is the rest of my family. i just turned out to be the "bad apple." i don't believe there is a god or supreme being. but more often then not you'll hear me exclaim 'oh my GOD" or "thank GOD" and shit of the sort simply because it is embedded in my head. so no i don't believe in god and don't try to use reverse psycology on me.

Thanks

Originally posted by EGGO
    So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a shit, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.
    [/george carlin]

Man, did I mention I love you? I kinda had some sort of thoughts like that, but you just put it awesomely over there. I would like to learn more about all that stuff so that I can kick religious facts (I saw your fourm, but man was it complicated). I also really liked the things about evolution that you wrote or copied there, pretty awesome. Just try to take it a little easier on the religious kind, you must understand them because thats their coping method.

And one question, whats the invisible pink unicorn? I MUST KNOW

Thanks
    EP Points

Who do you think put that Sun there?

Thanks

Originally posted by Themikemachine
    Man, did I mention I love you? I kinda had some sort of thoughts like that, but you just put it awesomely over there. I would like to learn more about all that stuff so that I can kick religious facts (I saw your fourm, but man was it complicated). I also really liked the things about evolution that you wrote or copied there, pretty awesome. Just try to take it a little easier on the religious kind, you must understand them because thats their coping method.

And one question, whats the invisible pink unicorn? I MUST KNOW
    Oh yeah, don't worry. I'm all about religious freedom, in fact, that's the perfect atheist world in a topic we just had.

As for the invisible pink unicorn, he is the equivalent God's status. We really use him to show how outrageous the claim of any supernatural deity is, and how easy it is to replace that certain deity with the IPU.

Example: God answered my prayers. No, the IPU did. Can you prove it? God couldn't be seen or anything, nor can the IPU, and both are supernatural of course, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

Sticking in the back of some guy named Randy
    Thanks

Originally posted by Sprung
    Who do you think put that Sun there?
    he's going to give you the scientific explanation you know.

who do you think put god there, sprung? And don't say " god has always been" because that is the exact kind of bullshit that would prove my belief of the stupidity of christainity, as well as many other major religeons.
    I am in no way responsible for the above post. It was my hand's fault. Bad hand.
    ---------------------------------------

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by karragh
    he's going to give you the scientific explanation you know.
    Yeah, I know

Science is for the narrow minded. I think it is pretty funny scientist think Earth just 'happens' to be in the very slim 'life sustaining' region it is in. WOW what a coincidence! Lucky us!
    Last edited by Sprung; 1st-May-2004 at 02:40.

Thanks

Yeah, I know

Science is for the narrow minded.
    so religoues people who refuse to accept facts that dsprove there narrow point of view are open minded? that's backwards or inside out or something...
    I am in no way responsible for the above post. It was my hand's fault. Bad hand.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by karragh
    so religoues people who refuse to accept facts that dsprove there narrow point of view are open minded? that's backwards or inside out or something...
    Facts? We came from primordial goo? Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Ok, humor me. Who put the goo there?

EDIT- we have 2 threads going...we need to make the "Sprung and Karragh argument guild"

Thanks

I won't humor you till you humor my question from earlier, you have an anoying habit of ignoring the parts you can't think of a really good arguement against.

Thanks

EDIT- we have 2 threads going...we need to make the "Sprung and Karragh argument guild"
    We should, I know I would join.

Thanks

not all atheists are evolutionists. i am though. eh. please continue your senseless arguing it's pretty funny.

Thanks

That goes into abiogenesis and mitochondrian Eve and whatnot. Now who put God there?

Thanks

Originally posted by EGGO
    On evolution is both fact and theory, straight from an essay.

Now, objectors will say "Ah, but they're still rabbits, aren't they? That's not the same as amphibians turning into reptiles, and then mammals, is it? That still doesn't explain how a human can evolve from an ape-like ancestor, does it?"

Yes, it does. The change from mixed-fur rabbits to long-fur rabbits (in this example) is often referred to as micro-evolution - a minor change within a species. Larger changes are known as macro-evolution, and take far longer to occur, but the process involved is exactly the same - genes changing over time. It is a cumulative process - the minor changes build up over many generations into major changes. Given time, the descendants of these rabbits could become an entirely novel species of rabbit, and eventually a creature that can no longer be called a rabbit.

To say that you accept micro-evolution but not macro-evolution is akin to saying that it is possible to walk to the end of your street, but it is somehow impossible to walk to the next town. The process involved, putting one foot in front of the other, a single step at a time, is exactly the same although the end results may be completely different.

Evolution is a fact. This is not open to debate.
    You can in fact argue that micro-evolution occurs while macro-evolution does not. A basic hole in the evolutionary scale involves the evolution between birds and reptiles. For one, there are no transitional forms proving reptiles evolved into birds. Also reptiles circulatory system works in such a way that blood and oxygen flow in opposite directions. However, bird's oxygen and blood flow in the same direction. Obviously you can see why any transitional form would be incapable of surviving. As you said that only small evolutions occur at a time, but that transformation could only occur through a rapid mutation.

The other evidence against this is evolution between land mammals and sea inhabiting mammals. As you know, land mammals have attributes such as fur and claws, and sea mammals have eyelids designed to block out water pressure, their ears curve inwardly so water pressure can deafen them, they have blubber to keep their body warm underwater, fins, flippers, blowholes, and sometimes sonor. As I've already explained it couldn't go from fur to blubber without a rapid evolution. How can an animal not adapted for life underwater survive underwater? A transitional state wouldn't be able to survive under either condition. There is also no evidence of transitional forms.

Well I would say since people say that divine intervention is happening, I would be hoping to see them prove it. Since what we normally see is what we call confirmation bias, if we look into their story in an objective sense, it's not really strong. I went to my girlfriend's church, for example, and a guy said that God cured his cancer after he visited the doctor's office and they didn't garuantee him recovery. Perhaps he's missing the obvious, but I'm sure you can already tell where I am going from there.
    I never said divine intervention occurs. If you read my post I actually said the opposite.