Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this legal

Thanks
    EP Points

Plus, the first thing that gets warez'ed is a non-free emulator =P.
    Selling cheap hardware..
    I beg your pardon, it retailed for $299. Selling expensive & useless hardware would be the right phrase =P.

Also, that website has a pretty good disclaimer. I took a moment to read it. Maybe I'll copy some of it and put it on EP.
    I don't really care for disclaimers but to be honest, since we've put one up, we haven't had any trouble from the IDSA or any other agency.. otherwise we used to get weekly threats...

Thanks

Originally posted by mushindo
    Nope it isn't and guess what? I have half the mind to report them to Sony's piracy department.
    hey w8, isn't it legal to give people the opportunity to buy the games that the buyer itself owns an original of? I mean lets take EP for example, in EP's disclaimer it says, and i quote:

"The files listed herein are only for personal use, personal as in for the staff of emuparadise and it's subsidiaries as they are for our own legal backing up solution,"

So, what the disclaimer is saying, is that the crew of EP has an original copy of ALL the games on the site? I find that VERY hard to believe....

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

DJHavoc Guest

I just reported them. Two main reasons. I don't swing with current generation game sharing (PS2) and them selling it is just plain wrong.
    We owe you for this. People think that gamers such as ourselves, who download and I quote "Old Games" (end quote), are pirates but in reality we are just downloading games that companies like nintento and sony find no longer turn a profit and are of no use to them.

It's people that "sell" newer games that give us a bad rep and we all owe mushindo for stoping this. PROPS TO THE MAN

Originally posted by Ifrit
    hey w8, isn't it legal to give people the opportunity to buy the games that the buyer itself owns an original of? I mean lets take EP for example, in EP's disclaimer it says, and i quote:

"The files listed herein are only for personal use, personal as in for the staff of emuparadise and it's subsidiaries as they are for our own legal backing up solution,"

So, what the disclaimer is saying, is that the crew of EP has an original copy of ALL the games on the site? I find that VERY hard to believe....
    True ture, but you wanna kn ow wo made the first NES and SNES emulators? Nintendo. Wanna know who made the first N64 and PSone emulators and ROMS? Nintento and Sony.

It's as I said, these are old games that no longer turn a profit and big-name companies had no use for. THESE ARE ADVERTISEMENTS , if you play a good game thats as old as SNES, your gonna look for nintendos newer games and believe they might be good because of what you saw on a downloaded ROM.

It's that simple.
    Last edited by DJHavoc; 26th-April-2004 at 14:11.

DJHavoc Guest

Originally posted by ZeikHunter
    amen to that mushindo.

have i mentioned lately that i love you?
    (And finally I got to lazy to edit my post, so heres it double.)

I to, am experincing a uncontrolable love for mushindo right now, could it be that she/he is the first politicaly sane human bein that I' ve quoted in a long time? Or could his/her avatar be hot...

Thanks

Nintendo and Sony never made the first emulators......they just made the hardware.

See, emulators fool games into thinking that they are running on the authentic hardware of the console.

DJHavoc Guest

Originally posted by Gospel
    Nintendo and Sony never made the first emulators......they just made the hardware.
    And thats different from making the emulators themselves how?

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by DJHavoc
    Eh? Because the hardware isn't in itself an emulator.

Thanks

Well actually sony and nintendo DID release the first emulators for their systems...only not publicly...as a development package for game companies that could be purchased with a license from sony or nintendo...it didn't take long, however; for them to end up on kazaa...

Thanks

Originally posted by DJHavoc
    Well you see they have also created emulators for the public. One of them is for PS, yes PS. THe PS2 plays ps games by emulating them. If you try to play some of the older PS games on it, they wont run. Also maybe the gba also emulates Gb, just maybe

Thanks

Originally posted by Themikemachine
    Well you see they have also created emulators for the public. One of them is for PS, yes PS. THe PS2 plays ps games by emulating them. If you try to play some of the older PS games on it, they wont run. Also maybe the gba also emulates Gb, just maybe
    I find it VERY hard to believe that they are emulating PSX on the PS2. I may be off but is it not correct to say the processing power/specs of the PS2 are MUCH lower than that of a PC? And would it not also be fair to say that it would take MUCH more power than it has for that emulation?

And if my lack of knowledge on hardware is totally off than this simple argument. Why would they emulate something when they could EASILY port it to the new system?

Thanks

Originally posted by Xaenn
    I find it VERY hard to believe that they are emulating PSX on the PS2. I may be off but is it not correct to say the processing power/specs of the PS2 are MUCH lower than that of a PC? And would it not also be fair to say that it would take MUCH more power than it has for that emulation?

And if my lack of knowledge on hardware is totally off than this simple argument. Why would they emulate something when they could EASILY port it to the new system?
    precisely, sony has no need to emulate ps on ps2, the only thing they need to do is port it + add a graphic filter (which the ps2 has)
    and p00f, game works + looks nicer

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Am I the only one who thinks reporting this person is wrong. Sure, selling games is pretty low, but those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

PTurner169 Guest

Commercial software as well as Homebrewed software is made by software development kits(SDK), or "debug" units which are released by the makers to companies and V.I.P. to create and test software.

Selling these units is illegal. Distributing "homebrewed software" to the public in a sense is illegal, since they are made by coding that was produced by the distributor. (Example M$, Sega, Sony, Nintendo)

Commercial software is illegal to sell "boot-legged"; some commercial software is even illegal to resell, for example anything that was distributed for free, demos, and/or trials.

Emulators are made the same way. Only those that are made from open source software, �available to the public�, are legal for distribution but once they are compiled to be read by certain hardware it is illegal.

As for discontinued software, you are free to do what you like with it, but they are not allowed to be resold.

ROMs are legal to acquire; but not to resell. If you own the original games, backing it up to protect from damage, and personal storage is legal, well for now it is until more laws are passed.

There is nothing wrong with backing up software as long as you own it.

If games are out of production, the only way to keep it in circulation would be to use emulation methods, as for over the years, the original games would have been abused, lost, in private collections, and/or trashed.

Emulators are used to imitate the function of another system by achieving the same results as the imitated system. Selling emulators is the same as selling bootlegged software. Emulators are not just software; they can be hardware as well for example a cable descrambler box imitates the cable television signal, they are emulators also. The people whom make these emulators are breaking the law, and agreements which companies trusted them with. So if they would like to be named, and even sell their creations, they will get double time, or at least double fined by their trusties and most definitely by the government.

Porting and Re-releasing are totally different issues, even though these same rules apply, one would have to simply get permission from the company to do it, and viola we have a ported game. Porting still uses the same coding which was once used in the original game; thus it will be illegal to do without permission. Since after all the creators have full rights to their games. But I do not think companies will give you a hard time if you happened to port something, they just might force you to hand over your work or else.

Systems like the Playstation 2, and Gameboy Advance, do not emulate, they simply recognize the coding (making it backwards compatible) of previous software. For those of you whom need examples, for say you bought a game that was created to run on Windows 95, but you do not have Windows 95. Your Windows XP can still recognize that software flawlessly. Another great example would be low-fi vhs tapes can be recognized by high-fi tape players. For you modern junkies another example would be, some DVD players can recognize laserdiscs, mp3, and music compact disks. They were simply programmed to recognize the same coding, not to emulate.

My Conclusion, anyone whom sells anything other than a service is a fraud. Capitalism is not the way to go, if you want to strike it rich, labor for your money.

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Someone writes a book and gets it published. Then someone takes the same book, puts a different cover on it and says it is theirs and they deserve money from it since they undertook the arduous task of creating a better cover. Who deserves the money? I would think that the original author clearly wins the case. Then, a local library buys the book and allows it to be viewed by the public for free. See where I am going with this?

Last edited by mushindo; 27th-April-2004 at 08:46.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

PTurner169 Guest

Someone writes a book and gets it published. Then someone takes the same book, puts a different cover on it and says it is theirs and they deserve money from it since they undertook the arduous task of creating a better cover. Who deserves the money? I would think that the original author clearly wins the case. Then, a local library buys the book and allows it to be viewed by the public for free. See where I am going with this?
    I do not understand what you mean, or where you are going.

I would say no one gets money; this is an excellent example for me to elaborate upon.

The only person I would believe should get money (or some sort of trade) would be the author, whom was traded for his service. From that point on, no one else gets anything, doesn�t matter if that books sells one copy or ten thousand copies, the author was already given something for his service. End of story. If the trader would like to mass produce it, go ahead, but free of charge.

I am a strong believer in free trade, and a free economy. Not the greedy capitalist way which you are subjecting. It wasn�t until the turn of the century that our societies have become like this, all this crap about copywriting, trademarks, patenting, it is all just one big scam to make the richer get rich and the poor get poorer. If you want to make something, fine, that is your own doing, distribute it to the public as you like. It is just stupid capitalist that make everyone else�s lives a living hell. Did you know Johann Gutenberg created the printing press centries ago? Well someone else patented it in the late 1800�s, and guess whom gets credit for it? During the civil war the soilders ate peanut porage. But someone gets credit for giving it the name �peanut butter�. Bill gates bought DOS off of a �friend� for pocket change, and then sells it for millions.

Books are mainly ideas, and stories. The day I pay for someone elses words is the day I laugh myself to death. Just like painting pictures it is an art, not a business and should not be treated like one. Services are used to better better, as in a nation, you should not make money for raising your motivation or personal status.

This is how the world should be:
    I�ll make you a sword, if you grow me some patattos.
    Help me build my house, and I will help you build yours.

Not like this:
    Bow down before me, and give me all your money just so you can breath my air.