Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this legal

Thanks

Default Is this legal

I just found this site copyclones.com selling backup games for 2 bucks a piece. They have PS2, dreamcast, and PSone but no Xbox though.
    Wonder how sony isn't pissed about this or they havent found it.
    [

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Nope it isn't and guess what? I have half the mind to report them to Sony's piracy department.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

Originally posted by mushindo
    Nope it isn't and guess what? I have half the mind to report them to Sony's piracy department.
    You should report them (if that is what you mean). They probaly made a good profit off it to. Actually it comes to be the same price as making them yourself. Blank DVDs are around two bucks arent they and renting a game costs like 6 bucks. Dreamcast part is a rip though. Expically the Dreamsnes one.
    [

Thanks

I just reported them. Two main reasons. I don't swing with current generation game sharing (PS2) and them selling it is just plain wrong.

Thanks

I agree with mushindo about next-gen emulation. This site is just going to argue that they are selling the service, not the backups. But I have a feeling that this site isnt going to be around much longer. All thanks to mushindo at EP. lol

Thanks
    EP Points

That seems like irony at its best to me. I do agree with the next gen stuff though. Even though I want a modchip on my PS2 I will still buy new games.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just reported them. Two main reasons. I don't swing with current generation game sharing (PS2) and them selling it is just plain wrong.

Good for you.

Stuff like that hurts people like us who are into emulation. People will think we all do this. And I don't think anyone here would ever think of selling a copied game.

I know emulation and downloading hundreds of roms isn't exactly legal too, but I think there is a line that we don't cross...

Besides how many of us actually play all these games? I mean alot of us here have hundreds even thousands of roms and iso's. Heh it's almost like a game, like collecting pokemon cards or something. We're doing it to socialize in a way. And I think thats alot better than bootlegging.

sorry for rambling and stuff, I'm tired

Thanks
    EP Points

I actually do have thousands upon thousands of roms that I haven't played. I also have a few ISOs. It is almost like trading cards to me lol. I have several goodsets and I probably only play 5-6 out of each one regularly. I just dont' have the time.

Thanks
    EP Points

To be honest, Sony's Piracy department would have a few things to say to us if they found out about it. Here's today's amazing fact:
    Over here, in India they sell these type of copied games everywhere. They're available all over the grey market, and what's funny is the fact that there are NO ORIGINALS available.
    We dont have a market for these things, the copied games are imported from China and brought here and sold to people who have PS1's and PS2's...

Sony can't do much since they don't market the PS2 over here (it's never really been officially released as such..).

Thanks

I report all authors who sell their emulators too. Yes yes, the irony. Don't get me started on semantics, you will be reading for a long time The major and real difference is this; emulation, including distribution of dead games, is meant to preserve classics and turds. If sony, nintendo, microsoft, sega, etc etc, were to replace every single component that they have released then perhaps emulation wouldn't be needed. As it is though, they do not and simply will not after a certain amount of time. When I buy a used game does it help them? No it does not. Especially if it isn't being sold any longer, since the person selling would have to buy another used copy from a private user. I have had to replace 4 PSones (2 modded) and 3 PS2s (1 modded) Does that sound like fair business practice? Selling cheap hardware that simply cannot sustain long term longevity and expect for them to never be immortalized for the very people that support them? I don't think so. Here enters emulation. I own every game (exception to most arcade games, but I am slowly collecting them ) that I share. It doesn't make it any more justified since I own them, but I do support the people I may or may not be hurting. I share because lets face it, production for the game has ceased. Why let future generations suffer and wait for a possible half-assed re-release? Also, when I buy a game I do not sign a physical contract agreeing to their terms. I did not sign a contract with the government to be "law abiding" I have every right to be a hypocrite, and damn, I will use that right What that site and others do is simply make money off someone elses creation and hard work while doing nothing in return, except stealing prospective buyers when they sell cheap copies of current software/hardware. If the game companies had half a brain and not a lead ass, they would jump onto the emulation wagon and then give what the public wants and make a buck while they are at it. (lol, lets not get into that ok peoples? )
    Last edited by mushindo; 26th-April-2004 at 08:27.

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree with the report about the people who sell pirated games. I can't stand this either.

Though reporting people who sell their own emulators is wrong, and isn't really going to achieve anything. Emulators are not illegal - so unless the person was including a BIOS (or roms) and charging then there is nothing to report.

Nintendo recently stopped a GBA emulator on the Tapwave Zodiac though. However I believe this was stopped via a patents issue other than anything else.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

amen to that mushindo.

have i mentioned lately that i love you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

An emulator involves a lot of work yes, but please, selling it? That is clearly to just acheive financial gain from someone elses hard work. Emulation is a hobby, not a means for support. Take that hard work and create your own hardware/software and sell your own games; don't mooch off of others and expect to be paid.

Thanks
    EP Points

It is actually legal to sell emulators. Bleem! and VGS were considered legal by the courts. The only reason they went out of business is because of the court costs they had to pay to defend themselves from Sony's lawyers.

Thanks

An emulator involves a lot of work yes, but please, selling it? That is clearly to just acheive financial gain from someone elses hard work. Emulation is a hobby, not a means for support. Take that hard work and create your own hardware/software and sell your own games; don't mooch off of others and expect to be paid.

Ahem yes, well.

They have every right to ask for money for their emulators.

Programmers don't pay the bills on intellectual gratification alone.

Months, or even years of work go into an emulator, and this is all work which they are not getting paid for.

You could argue that "No one forced you to write an emulator.", but the fact is they did, and invested a good amount of resources into it.

Why should they get slammed for asking for a little financial support in providing a program to the community.

Also, if you don't want to pay for an emulator, there are plenty of free ones around anyway.