Thread: How long do backup CDRs last?

Thanks

Default How long do backup CDRs last?

I remember reading somewhere that when you backup data on CDs that they won't last as long as original CDROMs (CDs produced with the data already on them as opposed to burning your data onto a CD) I'm not talking about CDRW just normal CDRs. How long will burnt CDs last, is it true that the data slowly degenerates, should I continually backup my backups, and if so how often should I do this?
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

They degrade in about 5 years if you have stuck labels on them because the glue eats away at the back (doesn't effect normal cd-s as they are made differently.
    No-one really knows how long a real cd-rom lasts. Estimates vary from 5 minutes before the sun explodes to 100 years.

Floppies last for about 10 years so I'd say 20 years if it's burnt with backup sectors.

Thanks
    EP Points

All depends on the quality too - dependent on the dye used it can affect the lifetime. I believe green/blue/silver are the worst, with gold being the best.

I stand ready to be corrected on the colours though

Thanks
    EP Points

Hzmm......I thought black CD-R's lasted pretty long, not too sure though.....

Thanks

Default Re: How long do backup CDRs last?

Originally posted by Stranger
    I remember reading somewhere that when you backup data on CDs that they won't last as long as original CDROMs (CDs produced with the data already on them as opposed to burning your data onto a CD) I'm not talking about CDRW just normal CDRs. How long will burnt CDs last, is it true that the data slowly degenerates, should I continually backup my backups, and if so how often should I do this?
    Ive read that a CD (Original) lasts for about 10 years. Thats actually pretty creepy, all my stuff will be gone in 10 years... But once again, maybe you dont have to believe in all that. I read somewhere that a HD doesent last more than about 5 years. Ive had my for over 7 years now and it works fine

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks
    EP Points

In 10years you probably won't be too bothered that some of your stuff is gone

If it really is that important then you can backup that data to other media at regular intervals.

Thanks

Originally posted by Del_Boy
    In 10years you probably won't be too bothered that some of your stuff is gone

If it really is that important then you can backup that data to other media at regular intervals.
    Nah... takes too long time

IfritRoms.com - Click the banner above!

<a href="http://www.cerberos.web1000.com/games_psx.htm">My PSX List (I dont trade anymore, sorry) </A>

Thanks

You'll also probably rewrite it, since after a while, you update your stuff, add new stuff, so if you keep one backup for like a year or 2, it's outdated.

Thanks

I remember having a really old hard drive, from 1985 or something. In 1997 it would not work, all of a sudden. So, twelve years.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

The lifespan all depends on the quality of CDRs you get. Proper name brand one shoud last 10+ years (if what everybody says is true), cheap CDRs will not last that long. I've seen some friends who bought really cheap crappy media, and the CDs are toast in under a year If I held it up to the light I could see pinholes through it
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

It is best to store them on good media, in a good place, don't get them out much, and back them up every year or 2. That is the only best bet you have. Also try to back them up on the newest media possible because some medias can die pretty quickly. Look at the 5 1/2 inch floppy disk or VHS tapes which are almost dead.

Sanitarium Guest

It really depends on many things, quality of CDRs, how you handle them, where do you keep them etc..

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

One of the main killers are the markers used on them. If you don't use a special marker the dye will slowly eat the film as well.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....