Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Windows XP Problem.

Thanks

Unhappy Serious Windows XP Problem.

Hi,

I have some serious problem with windows xp. It won't let me log in. When the windows xp starts up, it asks for the password Right. I have two users on my PC. One is mine and one is for my little cousin that I created for him for playing games. He's got no administrative rights.

It was working perfectly last night but when I tried to log in this morning, after entering the password, it would show me the desktop wallpaper but would again come back to the blue login screen and would again go back to the wallpaper and would again come back to the blue login screen. It keeps doing that forever. Coming back and forth. I don't know what to do. Tomorrow I have work to do on that PC with that user login. I am able to log into my cousin's account (I know his password as he is just a kid) perfectly wihtout any problems.

One time, I was able to log into my account and was able to do some things like disable the Norton Internet Security (just to see if that helps) and checking the disks for errors. I had selected the option "automatically fix system file errors" so it said that it would check the drives the next time I start my computer. I did that also. I restarted the computer and did the disk checks but no help.

When I was able to log into my account, I was able to do everything but just that it kept logging me off every 5-10 seconds and then I had to type my password again to log in.

Whats wrong with my account log in. My cousin's log in works perfectly which I am using right now to ask help over here at emuparadise.

Can you guys help me out with this. My head is aching like hell. PLEASE HELP.

Thanx in Advance.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried logging in as the Admistrator? By typing 'Adminstrator' in the login box and leaving the password filed blank....

Thanks

I think I am the administrator. I cannot change the username. There are only two. One is mine with the name "Ravi" and one is my cousins' with the name "Avinash" and it just asks me to put the password and log in.

But when I click on my name, the password field shows up and I have to put my password. and when I do so, the above thing happens. It just keeps going back and forth and won't let me do my job. Mine is Windows XP Professional and I have the service pack 1 and all the latest updates installed with Updated Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Internet Security 2003 installed.

And the last thing that I installed on my PC was dlmage (Download Mage). Its a spyware free download manager. It was working perfectly fine last night when I spent like about 3-4 hours playing Metal Slug 3 on kawaks with cheats and all. And this morning when I started my computer, this problem came up and won't let me do my work . Oh, am getting so mad

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks
    EP Points

Hzmmm....I'm talking about the hidden 'Adminstrator' account, try rebooting in Safe mode and it shoulld appear in the list, login through there. To boot up in safe mode hold the F8 key while booting up and choose 'Safe Mode' in the list...

Thanks

That's one of the reasons I don't like using user profiles, what if I can't get in, but it has it's goods, keeping privacy.

Thanks

Originally posted by torpedo009
    Hzmmm....I'm talking about the hidden 'Adminstrator' account, try rebooting in Safe mode and it shoulld appear in the list, login through there. To boot up in safe mode hold the F8 key while booting up and choose 'Safe Mode' in the list...
    Yes. Did that. It works perfectly in safe mode with the administrator login. NOW WHAT should I do ???

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried 'boot from last known good'? From the F8 boot menu...

Thanks

Will try and let you know right away.

Should I uninstall the Norton Internet Security 2003. The problem is that it logs me off every 5 seconds and tries to log in but is unable to do so until and unless I type the password again for another 5 seconds of remaining in there and trying to do something and after 5 seconds, pooof, you are back outside.

By the way, here are the processes that are currently running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Yes, Pressed F8 and did the "'boot from last known good configuration" but the same thing happens.

Here is a second pic of the processes.

Edit: There is a process in that list which I suspect might be causing the problem. The process's name is winlogon.exe. I don't know. Am not sure though. But when I tell windows task manager to "End the process" it won't let me do it. It says "This isa critical system process. Task manager cannot end this process."

Please help. Is this some kinda new virus or something???. It logs me off every 3 to 5 seconds and would keep flickering, trying to sign in but will show only my wall paper and would spring back to the login window (the blue login startup window) in a second and would keep doing so until and unless I type my password again for another 5 seconds of survival in there.

Edit 2: Here is what I got on the internet on winlogon.exe

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/winlogon/

Please HELP ME.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-February-2004 at 07:21.

Thanks

if you can get in under administrator in safe mode, go in and copy all your work and stuff and then delete the user names off the computer, then remake some afterwards. it worked for my brother...

Thanks

Originally posted by BadNeighbour
    if you can get in under administrator in safe mode, go in and copy all your work and stuff and then delete the user names off the computer, then remake some afterwards. it worked for my brother...
    Okay that looks like a good idea, coz my cousin's ID is working perfectly.

Also, when you mentioned "copy all your work and stuff". What did you mean by that. I would also like to know what will I loose if I delete my username and create a new one and start all over again.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well what he means is to copy all of the work off your My Documents folder into a different folder so that it wont be lost...

Thanks

everything that is stored in your my documents folder. that might be lost if you delete the user. i dont know whether it works like that, but just to be sure.

<edit> damn you torpedo009, you beat me to it! lol!! </edit>
    Last edited by Dark Neighbour; 9th-February-2004 at 08:24.

Thanks

Okay, will try it out and catch up with you guys asap.

I think I should also copy all my favorite links coz it took me ages to find those links with all the roms and all the stuff that I like to do.

Thanx again. Will check that out.

Thanks

Guess what guys. It was my STUPID SISTER. I had given her my password for net surfing but she double clicked on some stupid window 98 screensavers that one of my friends dumped on my PC and installed too many of them and may be messed up with some of the settings.

I kinda figured out that windows xp was going back to the login screen for what ?. One if you select standby mode OR if you have the screensaver on and when you press a key or move your mouse, you are automatically pushed forward to the login screen again making you put the password to log in.

So I just right clicked on desktop and selected the screensaver as NONE and deleted all the stupid screensaver files in my windows directory.

Now its working EXCELLENT. No probs. No deleting stuff. Am back online.

Thanx you all your help guys. Each of you get a 5 vote for helping me out.

Ciao .
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 9th-February-2004 at 09:51.