Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I use PS2 ISOs?

PS2_Master0 Guest

Default How do I use PS2 ISOs?

Ok, I know that no PS2 emulator will be out for a while, but PS2 ISOs are? How would I go about burning PS2 ISO's onto a disk (I have ahead Nero 5.5 + a DVD burner) and do I need a mod-chip or something to play them?

Please answer ASAP.

Thanks

yes you need a mod chip, and a dvd burner.

nero is good, and i think fantom cd is really good as well.

you can always also get a boot cd to play games using the swap trick, but i personnally would say go for the modchip

PS2_Master0 Guest

ok, so how much do these modchips cost? or how would I go about getting a bootdisk?

Thanks
    EP Points

You can find modchips at www.pacificmods.com which is owned by a person on these forums. If those don't float your boat you can just google search for PS2 modchips, and you will get a great many results.

PS2_Master0 Guest

Oh, could I have a moderater over here? I accidently posted it in the wrong forum...

And thank you for all the help. I'll be gettin that modchip real soon!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok, Bolton didn't give you the whole story, so I'll just copy and paste something I typed for another board that kinda works here too.

It really depends on the game. Most PS2 games are DVD based these days, though some such as Tekken Tag Tourney are on CD-Rom. Those CD-Rom based games can be copied one-to-one, and will run on a PS2 with no problems, providing you have a chip or a boot-disk.
    The DVD based games however, either need to be ripped to fit on a CD-R, meaning alot of music, movies and sounds have to go, or burned one-to-one onto a DVD-R. Now, not every game can be ripped, such as FFX for example, but some games can, such as Soul Calibur II.
    Now, ripping games takes extensive hacking knowlege, as well as knowlege of hex-editing and whatnot. Usually, you can find DVD-Rips on the net that will fit on a CD-R, and that's the best way to go unless you do know how to hack and hex-edit. Be warned though, while some of the rips will work with your average boot-disk, some of them may not run, meaning the TOC of the boot-disk was not large enough to accomodate the game. Now, you either need a boot-disk with a VERY HIGH TOC to run them, or a Mod-Chip, which will of course run your rip without any problem.

Hopefully that helps a bit. If you need me to clear anything up, let me know.

Thanks

Originally posted by Cyberxion
    Ok, Bolton didn't give you the whole story, so I'll just copy and paste something I typed for another board that kinda works here too.

It really depends on the game. Most PS2 games are DVD based these days, though some such as Tekken Tag Tourney are on CD-Rom. Those CD-Rom based games can be copied one-to-one, and will run on a PS2 with no problems, providing you have a chip or a boot-disk.
    The DVD based games however, either need to be ripped to fit on a CD-R, meaning alot of music, movies and sounds have to go, or burned one-to-one onto a DVD-R. Now, not every game can be ripped, such as FFX for example, but some games can, such as Soul Calibur II.
    Now, ripping games takes extensive hacking knowlege, as well as knowlege of hex-editing and whatnot. Usually, you can find DVD-Rips on the net that will fit on a CD-R, and that's the best way to go unless you do know how to hack and hex-edit. Be warned though, while some of the rips will work with your average boot-disk, some of them may not run, meaning the TOC of the boot-disk was not large enough to accomodate the game. Now, you either need a boot-disk with a VERY HIGH TOC to run them, or a Mod-Chip, which will of course run your rip without any problem.

Hopefully that helps a bit. If you need me to clear anything up, let me know.

lol hey give me some credit, i own a gamecube
    heh thanks for explaining in detail, i only know the basics lol i have a boot disk for my psone. either way though a mod chip will play games on dvd as well.

i didnt know you could rip dvd's to fit on cdr, but still who would want a riped game, but hey to each his own.

personnally i recommend gettign an x-box with a 120gig hard drive and get a mod chip that allows you to play ps2 on your xbox, and you simply get the x-box and ps2 isos and put them on the x-box hardrive, but i dotn think you can play burnt games on x-box live unless you have a better mod chip i think or at least what my firend says. x-box live keeps kicking him out when he plays burnt games....well anyway back tot he ps2 lol anyway though the bottom line is its recommended you get a dvd burner and a descent modchip. well anyway thats 2 cents coming form the proud owner of a gamecube .......... i think lol

PS2_Master0 Guest

well, I have a DVD burner, so I can just do it 1-to-1. I need to know how to make a boot disk, because I never have and never will modify any parts of my PS2, as I want my warranty to stay intact.

Originally posted by bolton02
    lol hey give me some credit, i own a gamecube
    heh thanks for explaining in detail, i only know the basics lol i have a boot disk for my psone. either way though a mod chip will play games on dvd as well.

i didnt know you could rip dvd's to fit on cdr, but still who would want a riped game, but hey to each his own.

personnally i recommend gettign an x-box with a 120gig hard drive and get a mod chip that allows you to play ps2 on your xbox, and you simply get the x-box and ps2 isos and put them on the x-box hardrive, but i dotn think you can play burnt games on x-box live unless you have a better mod chip i think or at least what my firend says. x-box live keeps kicking him out when he plays burnt games....well anyway back tot he ps2 lol anyway though the bottom line is its recommended you get a dvd burner and a descent modchip. well anyway thats 2 cents coming form the proud owner of a gamecube .......... i think lol
    As for the X-Box idea, I don't want to buy a whole new system just to play PS2 ISOs. I want to spend as little as possible, not 200 dollars!
    Last edited by PS2_Master0; 25th-December-2003 at 15:40.

Thanks

lol i know how ya feel, otherwise id have an xbox right now too lol.

anyway check this site

http://www.success-hk.com/pp/success.asp

i got my psone boot disk and my gba flash cart there.
    they have good service, and i recommend you order ups if you order anyhting, cause it will get to you in 3 days whearas airmail might take a month lol. anyway, im pretty sure they have the newest ps2 boot disk there. heck you might even get lucky, when i ordered my psxchange2, since the name had a 2, they thought i ordered 2 and i ended up getting 2 of them lol.

Xzyx987X Guest

Originally posted by bolton02
    personnally i recommend gettign an x-box with a 120gig hard drive and get a mod chip that allows you to play ps2 on your xbox
    Since when can you play ps2 games on your xbox? You better double check your info cause this just isn't possible.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can't play PS2 games on XBox.
    You also can't make a bootdisk because the PS2 would treat it like a burnt game. You have to buy one and then you still have to make modifications to your PS2 to use the bootdisk. If you don't want to modify your system in anyway you won't be able to play burnt games. I'm sorry, but that'ss the way it is.

Thanks

you can't make a bootdisk because PS2 will treat it as a burned game? legal PS2 games are burned games...they are just burned properly...what, you think all of that data just magically appears there? lol...you don't actually even need a mod-chip if you know how to burn the games properly, it's a bit confusing though...my friend tried to explain it to me and I was clueless

and about PS2 games on Xbox...I hear there is a PS2 emulator that can be installed on an Xbox...although I think this is just a rumor...so maybe it is possible?

ShiningEnforcer Guest

There is NO way to burn PS2 ISO's so that they can work on an unmodified console without any boot disk. There are two things needed, that only genuine PS2 disks have - a region code and a verification code that says 'this is a PS2 disk'. No copy has these.

Now, there is no way the Xbox can emulate the PS2. It simply isn't powerful enough. Perhaps, theoretically, it could boot a PS2 BIOS or something, but it could never play any games.

Thanks

if they can put a region code and a verification code on the legal copy I'm sure someone with enough programming knowledge can figure out how to put it onto a burned copy.

and about the PS2 emulator on xbox, I really don't know anything about it...I just heard about it somewhere...don't remember where though...look on google and maybe you will find it...

Thanks

Just to let you know, Cyruz, legit games aren't burnt, as that would be too time consuming. They burn one copy onto a metal disc, then they use that to stamp the data onto the discs (which is why legit games have no burning rings to mark how much is on the disc). Ps2 games can't be booted on XBOX either, regardless of what google searches have told you.

-Tina