Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping GameCube games (questions)

Thanks

Default Ripping GameCube games (questions)

1.) What all will I need?

2.) How much will it cost?

3.) Besides using that PSO trick, are there any other games/ways to do it as well?

4.) Can I play any game I rip, or does there need a loader or something like that?

5.) In the end, is it worth it at this point?
    Last edited by Hipoccolos; 2nd-December-2003 at 07:30.
    You got whacked cuz your weak. Magus, Chrono Trigger
    "is da anus also known as her bellybutton?!1" - The Stupidest Teenager on Earth

Ghaleon Guest

1. You're gonna need a mindisk burner and some "industrial strength" minidisks. Basically, like dvd minidisks.

2. It's gonna cost a pretty decent amount of money considering that most people don't have a specialized mindisk burner or the specialized disks to go with it. If I had to take a guess (and this is a REALLY broad guess) I'd say it'd cost you anywhere from 300 to 450 dollars.

3. Are you talking about disk swapping on a psx? If that's the case, no, I doubt the gamecube will support that without a modchip.

4. Definately gonna need a loader. A modchip more than likely.

5. .....eh, it's probably not worth it at this point. Besides, there is an emulator called Dolwin that can actually emulate the gamecube...even though the graphics are in wireframe and it's runs at about 2 fps...still, at least it works. For the time being, just wait a little while till there's a bit more gc emulation development/strategies.

Thanks
    EP Points

I haven't heard any new news on the dolphin emulator in a long time.

Thanks

Originally posted by Ghaleon
    1. You're gonna need a mindisk burner and some "industrial strength" minidisks. Basically, like dvd minidisks.

2. It's gonna cost a pretty decent amount of money considering that most people don't have a specialized mindisk burner or the specialized disks to go with it. If I had to take a guess (and this is a REALLY broad guess) I'd say it'd cost you anywhere from 300 to 450 dollars.

3. Are you talking about disk swapping on a psx? If that's the case, no, I doubt the gamecube will support that without a modchip.

5. .....eh, it's probably not worth it at this point. Besides, there is an emulator called Dolwin that can actually emulate the gamecube...even though the graphics are in wireframe and it's runs at about 2 fps...still, at least it works. For the time being, just wait a little while till there's a bit more gc emulation development/strategies.
    What... the... hell...? I'm talking about being able to play them on a GameCube, there's some sort of way to using an exploit from PSO and that was also how they got the ISO's on the net, at least from my understanding.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Ghaleon

points 1,3, and 4 are wrong...

you should not bother burning them to disks because there is no posible way to load them at this time... and i dont think that they are normal DVD's.

the only way to play GCN iso's is with the PSO trick..

And as for ripping i have no idea.. but it most likely requires modification of the GameCubes circuitry and i would not atempt it unless you realy know what your doing.

Ghaleon Guest

QUOTE]you should not bother burning them to disks because there is no posible way to load them at this time... and i dont think that they are normal DVD's.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talking about and no, they aren't dvds but I have seen a specialized version that can hold upwards of 3 gbs. A bit pricey though (and pointless at this stage). What exactly are you talking about when you say "ripping"? Are you talking about copying the image from an actual disk? I don't see how that's not possible as long as you have the right equipment.

Thanks

Well, what I mean by ripping is making a complete ISO of a game. It is in fact possible using PSO and some software, which I downloaded, I believe you have to buy something else too. I just don't know what to do now at this point.

Thanks

actually, the discs used by the gamecube ARE just DVDs with a few inches lopped off, and their capacity is 1.5GB. If you've seen 3GB gamecube discs, maybe they are dual-layer?

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by madcrow
    actually, the discs used by the gamecube ARE just DVDs with a few inches lopped off, and their capacity is 1.5GB. If you've seen 3GB gamecube discs, maybe they are dual-layer?
    Are you sure about that... because my DVD-RW cant read GC games but can read mini DVD's which happen to be the same size.......

Ghaleon Guest

I'm not sure of they were dual layer or not. I saw the price tag and kept right on walking. Well...that and I don't have a minidisk burner. I'm not sure about the DVD-RW drive thing either. If it can recognize the dvd format of a minidvd...than what format is a gamecube disk? Protection maybe?

Bleakvoid Guest

My guess is that you could, with some dumping and recompliling skills, find a way to patch your device drivers to read the GCN discs...or maybe someone wants to start a project? You might be able to gut a GCN and make a messed up drive bay for your comp...but you still would need to find some way for your comp to recognize it.

Thanks

In a previous topic like this I brought up the same idea. You just buy a GCN, convert the drive to a computer one and design your own driver.

Thanks

Well, thanks for being of no help everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I found an old link I saw on loading GCN ISO's, and it says I need PSO, a GameCube to PC cable, and the broadband adapter. I couldn't find any info on the GCN to PC cable, does that come with PSO or something like that?

Thanks

Just wondering, but did you know that you can burn mini disks on your dvd burner. When you open up your disc tray, you see the regular size disc circle. but inside of that outline there is another circular indent. I have burned mini disks before but i'm not so sure that they will work on the gamecube without a mod. :\

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think they will since I have seen modchips for GC.