Thread: Speaker/Drivers question

Thanks

Default Speaker/Drivers question

Ok I got a new comp for some time now and it didn't come with speakers so I put the speakers from my old comp on it. But I noticed that I could only plug them in to where the headphone are pluged in for sound. I tried to put them the speakers in the other slots but they didn't work even after restarting my comp. The headphones for the volume I have to turn it all the way up for the sound to be like my old comp when I just turn it on a like 1/8 of the way. Both my comps are HP but the new one uses athlon and not pentium 3. So when I get new speakers would this also happen meaning that I can only plug them in the headphone slot to get sound. Or is this all just a driver problem the? For both comps I didn't by a sound card just what came with the computer. The new comp has Realtek AC97 Audio and my old comp has Rockwell I think for audio and sound devices. Also for my new comp there isn't advance settings for the sound. I remember reading that it has to do with the audio drivers. I ind of went on and on but I really don't have any idea about my sound.

Thanks

The sound properties may be all the way on low. Have you tried turning it up in... Control Panel > Sounds & Audio Devices > DeviceVolume - Advanced? If so and that's not the case it's the drivers.

If you can find out what motherboard or chipset you have it'd be easier to search for one. You may have to dl and try a few versions of the drivers as ac97 mb's are quite picky at times. I can't give you the link to the ones I use as MSI's liveupdate works with thier mb's only but if you do a search in Google a few places come up with drivers. Here's one place you can try.

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/inde...formation/1487

for VIA motherboards
    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/inde...formation/1928

If all else fails HP I'm sure can help.

Thanks

Opps forgot to say my computer is a Windows Xp and the sound is intergrated but how could I find out what motherboard or chipset I have?

Thanks

It's in the motherboard's manual... You should have it with you, unless you bought your PC as a package and the people who sold it neglected to give you the proper documentation... :\