Thread: Help on building a computer

bluebommerr Guest

Default Help on building a computer

OK here's the deal: i found a (what seemed like broken) tower in my tenant's place. they moved out and left it there so i decided i'd take it. I am new at this and interested in building a comp but am not interested in spending cash in total i have these parts:

AOpen case (with power outlet, cables)
    AOpen AP5VM motherboard
    Virge/DX video card
    FX-3D sound card
    USB card thing
    2 Acer memory sticks

So, can i build a computer with these things? I don't need a super-computer, in fact not even a decnt one. I'm fine with a piece of crap computer as long as it can boot and i can say, "i built this"

so please help

MolsenMI Guest

Do you really need three topics saying "Hey I found a crappy computer."

You could have easily put these into one topic. I don't even know what you want in this one. You have a computer that's already built and you want to build a computer out of it. So, what you're saying is, you want to take apart an old computer and then put it back together just so you can say you built it. What's the point?

bluebommerr Guest

sounds like your talking without knowing much dude. my topics are totally different. first of all, the computer that i added me memory to is not this one. its another comp. Secondly, the thing about the old phoenix comp is not this one. This is another system which i found several parts for and i wanted to know if i could fix it up. so if u have a solution tell me or else beat it.

Shadowrider Guest

ur missing one main thing:cpu.

basically, you need :

motherboard (obviously).
    cpu
    ram
    power, and
    graphics card.
    monitor.

of course you need input devices such as keyboard or mouse.
    and the rest is optional.

i see there you have everything except the cpu, and make sure it's compatible with the motherboard.

congobongo Guest

shadow rider you forgot some other stuff, like the hard drive and the floppy drive.
    here are what you need to build a computer system:
    motherboard
    processor
    memory
    hard drive
    floppy drive
    optical drive (cd drives, etc)
    video card, if it is not internal
    power supply, with enough power (usually around 250~300w)
    pc case
    cpu fan, if needed
    here are optional stuff you can add:
    modem
    usb 2.0 ports
    advance sound system
    tv card
    capture card
    dvd hardware encoder and decoder
    and the list goes on
    anyway, you need to know what kind of motherboard you have? once you figured that out, you need to know if it has any internal parts, like internal speakers or internal video card? after that, it's just a matter of choosing what you want to put in.

Shadowrider Guest

hd and floppy or cdrom? oh well it's pretty obvious isn't it?

bluebommerr Guest

i think i have that stuff already built into the mobo (processor, cpu) as i said its not completely in pieces, some parts are already attached. so the processor is the circle thing on the mobo right?

Shadowrider Guest

well..depends. newer cpus (these days anyway but not sure since when they changed it) use pins. and depending on how many pins they have, determine their sizes.
    it'll be square and not circle. maybe what you're seeing is the heatsink+fan above it?

some older pentium IIIs still use slot cpu. the shape is sort a like a big graphics card slotted in the (almost) middle of the motherboard.

ps:

the newer type would be something like this
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 9th-August-2003 at 23:39.

bluebommerr Guest

thnx for your help so far shadowrider......i was trying to attach a pic but its too large maybe i could email it to u? i'm pretty sure i have everything necessary but i'm confused about the cables and "jumpers" since i dont have a manual for the mobo.

Shadowrider Guest

sure email it to [email protected]

bluebommerr Guest

*email sent*

Shadowrider Guest

you didn't seem emailed me the pic file though

bluebommerr Guest

sorry i thought i could just put in on the mail instead of attaching it.............i have mailed it again.

EDIT: OOPS, seems like that isn't a valid email address.........