Thread: Cant format memory sticks adapters (Error 80010011) on PSP

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Cant format memory sticks adapters (Error 80010011) on PSP

Greetings

Like the title said, I have trouble to format my memory adapters with the micro sd card inside. All seemed to work fine until I tried to switch a 128GB sd for a 256GB one, put it inside one adapter, and the thing started to fail in copying files from my computer. I tried to format the sd card from my computer to erase all corruption, and then tried to format directly on my PSP, but it will constantly gives me an error now.

The adapter worked fine before the microsd switch, and I tried to use another adapter (which had a 64GB sdcard) but I still got the same error when formatting. Even using the previous 128GB on the other adapter gave the same result.

Meanwhile an adapter with a 200GB microsd (both were ordered brand new and never got separated once inserted together) is working plenty fine.
    I'm pretty much facing a big obstacle.
    Last edited by shibadoge; 5th-December-2016 at 13:21.

Thanks
    EP Points

it's possible it's the mcsd doubler?
    they have been known to freak out and fail on occasion.
    it's gonna be a path of elimination, using all resource at your disposal.
    1, if you're by a computer, or system that can handle the card type memory stick/pro duo. (and microsd where possible, should be easier to cater for.)
    2, using the computer, do an error check in all possible variations, such as the individual mcsd's, and the combo 2x mcsd to mspd doubler.
    you're probably already aware that using cards of identical footprint are intended, same class, manufacturer etc.
    if using an m$ os, get fat32formattergui, it's free, and it's specific to static media card usage and preparations.
    sadly, the psp can only read, write, and blank via it's own o$, homebrew apps are what go beyond.
    psp forums may also help.
    all the best, good luck!
    [edit]
    almost forgot.
    if able to set up a working card for the psp, it's usually a good idea to leave it in it's socket, and go xxx-to-psp transfers, the mspd socket is fragile to say the least, doesn't like constant usage.
    Last edited by amiga1200; 5th-December-2016 at 13:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

No, the memory duo adapter I want to use is a single microsd slot, though I did try on a dual slot memory adapter (that usually only have one microsd anyway, it was a spare) to see if my original adapter was the one at fault. Now all combinations are failling no matter what

Again, the whole mess didnt happen until I wanted to switch the microsd card for a new one, in order to get more storage. Guess I got punished for wanting to be greedy

Thanks
    EP Points

fair enough, never seen a straight 1-to-1 adaptor on those...
    on on that, it could be just that, the adaptor?
    i've had mcsd-to-sd go down the toilet on me, and the mcsd's were fine. (can only assume the interior mcsd contact teeth were flattened and causing the issue.)
    psp's (go non-withstanding) can take any sized media that works and is correctly prepared.
    i'm leaning on one of two things as possible error if NOT the mcsd's themselves:
    1, the mcsd-to-mspd adaptor, it's contact teeth that would press up against the mcsd contact teeth.
    2, the psp mspd socket, same diagnosis as above.
    it's more likely the adaptor, but i'm just speculating here...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiga1200 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I managed to make the 128GB work again on its original adapter (had to repair the microsd on Windows before formating it again on PC, then formatting on the PSP)

I'll order a few more memory duo adapters (they're pretty cheap so it doesnt hurt to try) to see if they can deal my Samsung 256GB microsd, or if the maximum is the Sandisk 200GB like the one that works fine.
    Last edited by shibadoge; 5th-December-2016 at 14:14.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you have problems then use something like Panasonic SD formatter on windows. Why you would need to use a card that large is beyond me though, I use smaller cards and 2x dual SD adaptors (the adaptors only cost like $1-2). Yes I have two adaptors that have 2 micro SD cards in each of them...I have different LCFW on each (6.60 ME 2.3 & 6.60 PRO-C fix3).

Edit:
    All my cards are genuine SanDisk.

Spoiler warning:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    If you have problems then use something like Panasonic SD formatter on windows. Why you would need to use a card that large is beyond me though, I use smaller cards and 2x dual SD adaptors (the adaptors only cost like $1-2). Yes I have two adaptors that have 2 micro SD cards in each of them...I have different LCFW on each (6.60 ME 2.3 & 6.60 PRO-C fix3).
    lot of japanese-only psp games (most of them are taking 1GB-1.6GB each) alongside of some japanese ps1 classic titles (the original files that just need to be decrypted/converted through a little software). The 200GB adapter is full of visual novels (though I never managed to make Grisaia and Flowers work due of them asking to plug off the memory card in order to create the key data, and trying to copypaste the data from the emulator jpcsp to a real CFW PSP didnt work either. Apparently the key the iso generates is encrypted to the system)

I somehow heard that dual-slot memory duo adapters would screw up the memory slot of your PSP, especially if you use different microSD cards.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by shibadoge View Post
    I somehow heard that dual-slot memory duo adapters would screw up the memory slot of your PSP, especially if you use different microSD cards.
    I haven't had any issues with either of my adaptors, and all my cards have always been fine. I use matched pairs of micro SD cards and I never remove them from the adaptors.
    I transfer via PC using a multi card reader/writer.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I haven't had any issues with either of my adaptors, and all my cards have always been fine. I use matched pairs of micro SD cards and I never remove them from the adaptors.
    I transfer via PC using a multi card reader/writer.
    May I ask, but it is possible to switch memory cards, when in the XMB menu of a CFW (6.60 PRO-C fix3) PSP, or is it preferable to shut off the handheld before switching? (I've been doing the latter by default as I dont know)
    I dont know if the CFW is running on the memory card or in some internal part of the handheld.
    Last edited by shibadoge; 5th-December-2016 at 19:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

^^ it's usually good safe practice to shut off console before unplugging/removing anything anyway, even expand that to literal umd disks.
    you'll know when after loading disk into drive, and it''s spun up.eject the disk, there's still inertia.
    anyway, it's can be done no problem, just you run the risk of nuking any data on the card.
    pro-tip:
    if one psp is modded but has no apps on it, use another psp with adhocfiletranferv0.7 running, send that to a cfw'd psp with blank media card and gamesharing line open.
    the psp with blank media card is open to access that way too.
    pspftp is another useful app.
    [edit]
    refreshed, saw the edit.
    in this case, no, it's isn't.
    all you're running is the fast recovery item in the xmb.
    in that regard, i suppose it is as it's vital to ping the psp into running unsigned apps.
    no, it isn't, just an xmb item run after console is powered down fully.
    internal flash nand is where firmware resides, the o$ if you will.
    [crap]
    after the cfw flash of a psp (pro-line of cfw's, relative items need to be on the card naturally) no, the cfw isn't dependent on being on the card.
    Last edited by amiga1200; 5th-December-2016 at 19:13.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amiga1200 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by shibadoge View Post
    May I ask, but it is possible to switch memory cards, when in the XMB menu of a CFW (6.60 PRO-C fix3) PSP, or is it preferable to shut off the handheld before switching? (I've been doing the latter by default as I dont know)
    I dont know if the CFW is running on the memory card or in some internal part of the handheld.
    I have always shut down my PSP completely before removing the memory card. I've always used temp CFW though.

Spoiler warning: