Thread: NES emulation graphics problem on full screen

Thanks

Default NES emulation graphics problem on full screen

Hi! I have graphics problem when I use emulator in full screen. Vertical edges of all objects are messed up when screen is moving in side scrollers like Super Mario Bros 3. However this problem is not present if I set direct draw to hardware acceleration and sync method to double buffering in video options but then the sound is messed up. (I'm using FCEUX 2.2.3)
    What could cause this problem?
    I captured screenshot with mobile phone because I couldn't do it with printscreen or fraps. (see that pipe and that green block and sorry about the quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try different sync settings, this looks like Vsync problem.
    Also try setting the DirectDraw to draw surface in RAM. It might be easier to run than Hardware Acceleration.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Thank you for your replay!
    It helps if DirectDraw is set to draw surface in RAM and Sync method is set to something (I use double buffering) but then sound is messed up again sometimes.
    For example when I run Contra and press start I hear a lot of crackling and I tried changing audio settings but it doesn't help.
    Strangely these problems are not present in windowed mode but I want to play in full screen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do you get the same double image when you set sync method to "Wait for VBlank"?

In the Video Configuration screen, under Full Screen Settings, there is a pull down menu next to bpp. Set this to 16 to free up a little bit of RAM.

Thanks

I don't but then sound is not good again. Setting bbp at 16 doesn't help.
    This also happens when I use MAME emulator in full screen.
    Blurrines from that image is from mobile phone camera because I captured video and took one frame as picture from it but edges do appear like that.

Here are settings I use:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you attempted to use Nestopia UE?

I bet you will have a much easier time as it is more optimized than FCEUX, http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

I tried NESutopia and very similar thing happened but this time that edge fuckness went from down to up on full screen resolution of 640x480 instead of up to down like FCEUX. However on FCEUX at my native laptop resolution 1366x768 it stayed on the same height. I also have gaming PC with high specs and same thing happens.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wonder if it has something to do with your global videocard settings?

Anti-aliasing came to mind but that may not be the case, what videocard do you have and have you restored its settings to default?
    Last edited by Warrior; 7th-October-2016 at 16:02.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

My laptop has Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 and I never changed any videocard settings. PC has great specs but I have the same problem on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.fceux.com/web/help/fceux....eshooting.html

Sound crackle

If you enable hardware acceleration and Vsync (Wait for VBlank), and your monitor has a framerate different from 60FPS, you may experience minor sound cracle. This is a known issue and will probably be resolved in a future release.

Thanks

OK. Thank you. I'll use windowed mode until the next version then. However turning on wait for vertical sync and sync to monitor refresh options solved this problem in MAME emulator but there's one more problem with MAME I'll post in new discussion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This is a very odd situation as I never really heard of this that occurs on various emus, can you try one more emulator for me as a test?

RetroArch with the NES cores - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...4/RetroArch.7z

I wonder if it will bypass that issue, if you need a hand getting started feel free to PM or Visitor Message me.

It has Nestopia/FCEUmm/QuickNES/bnes cores to chose from.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ¸Bero1707 View Post
    OK. Thank you. I'll use windowed mode until the next version then. However turning on wait for vertical sync and sync to monitor refresh options solved this problem in MAME emulator but there's one more problem with MAME I'll post in new discussion.
    You might try changing your monitor refresh rate. Depending on your version of windows you should be able to switch this in your Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center, or possibly in Windows control panel in Display settings. Set that to 60 and see if it solves your audio crackle.

Thanks

It works fine on RetroArch but I really like FCEUX especially feature that lets me resume the game exactly where I left off.
    skullpoker my refresh rate was 60 Hz already.
    Last edited by ¸Bero1707; 9th-October-2016 at 17:56.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ¸Bero1707 View Post
    It works fine on RetroArch but I really like FCEUX especially feature that lets me resume the game exactly where I left off.
    skullpoker my refresh rate was 60 Hz already.
    Appears my hunch was right, whatever is rendering the graphics in the original emulators is to blame as RetroArch has its own API for the rendering.

You will have to track that down and try to fix whatever is screwing up your visuals.

In the meantime, in RetroArch you can save state with F2 and load state with F4, Fullscreen with F and toggle the GUI with F1.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post: