Thread: PS1 3D Game Engines

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS1 3D Game Engines

At one point PS1 polygonal graphics were modern enough to be state of the art for consoles. Alot of lighting effects and whatnot. Considered to be the experimental stage of 3D gaming. Now they are looked down upon as crude, pixelly, and blocky. I'm not a graphics whore so I don't mind them and find them charming. Some can look pretty good with plugins on emus. I also love 3D action platformers of that era. I'm old and don't care for modern junk, besides some indie and portable stuff.

I'm wondering about the various game engines that were used. Seems like a few were used often. Insomniac must've made some serious bank off that Spyro engine. Three Spyro games, Treasure Planet, Monster Muppet Adventure, and Jinx are a few I've played. Looks like Aladdin: Nasiras Revenge used it too, but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

Crystal Dynamics had their Gex3D engine they used for two Gex games, Akuji, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

The Jersey Devil kits looked like it got used for the two Bugs Bunny games. Psygnosis looks like they reused the same style for multiple games like Colony Wars and G-Police.

Are their any other games that reskinned other engines? Or some good 3D platformers from that time that might've been overlooked? I don't dig Crash very much aside from the 3rd game. Thanks.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wow I never thought I would see someone else appreciate PSX 3D, this is pleasing news.

I will have to look through my catalogue of PSX games and get back to you, I absolutely love Playstation games and have to give you a list since this stuff is quite awesome.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Early 3D may look crude and outdated today, but for its time it was revolutionary. Even if the graphics don't look that well today, many of the games are still fun to play. I still find myself playing N64 and PS1 games. Though the camera with some games can make it hard to play for a long time. Another thing was the camera with early 3D games, some did it well, others not so much. Wikipedia will sometimes list the engine the game was made in, you can also look around to see what engine was made to use a game.

Thanks
    EP Points

are you advertising retroarch emulator?