Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just kinda curious

Thanks

Default Just kinda curious

I was just kinda wondering for you retro gamers out there how do you guys completely shut yourself off from the newer games? the only games that are currently coming out that I'm looking forward to is the PC remaster of Dead Rising 1 (But knowing Capcom they'll fuck it up in someway so I'm not that excited) and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. but besides those two the games of today have somewhat been a let down played Fallout 4 and got bored of it within an hour same with Dragon Age Inquisition even though I'm a big fan both series.

Anyways I'm getting off track here. how do you guys shut yourselfs off from the current generation of gaming?

Also another thing what do you guys consider retro? I classify NES - PS1 era retro.

Sorry for rambling i typically don't post on here.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I do in fact shut myself off to most everything new, as well as "retro-esque" indie-shovel-shit-ware. There are a select few titles that I pick up every time a new one is released like Bethesda games, Atlus games and Pokemon, but everything else is overlooked. I realized recently that I don't have the elasticity to learn the new games anymore and am simply not interested.

Your definition of the term "retro" is incorrect. You are referring to "vintage" actually. Retro is something new with elements of the past, like the huge insurgence of indie games that I mentioned above. Everybody has a Rogue-like, everybody has a puzzle adventure and they come by the dozen every week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love Pokemon with all my heart but I'm not at all interested in S and M and it might be the first ever titles that i actually don't play. maybe it's just my age catching up to me here but I'm just growing really tired with the current trend of what appears to the same shit every time a game is released now and days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

How dare you get bored playing Fallout 4
    I hardly ever play any "retro" games now, just occasionally test something I've downloaded because I didn't already have it.
    I do sometimes get remasters for current/last gen (PS4/PS3), but I think all I have physical atm are Resident Evil Origins & Silent Hill HD Collection. Might have a couple more digital but I can't remember what right now without checking.

There are some games that I have completely moved away from now, but did play many years ago. JRPGs like Final Fantasy etc no longer interest me, just got completely bored of them.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope . I play whatever catches my fancy regardless of release year. I'm less inclined to play older console games than new.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I tend to play old favorites from time to time, and with modern games I stay away from the 2k sports redundancies and that sort of thing. Wise-ass sense of humor or games with equipment modding or RPG advancement are my bread and butter, so Fragtrap on the Borderlands: PreSequel, Fallout 4 with rude/sarcastic answers, KotoR series, are all pretty enjoyable. Dead Island was immersive as fuck where I was smashing every head I saw just to make sure they aren't going to get up and come after me, and I tend to dream about games I have been playing so that was pretty grim... much worse than the time I had a dream about Tetris, for sure.

But my nostalgia steers me toward games I couldn't beat when I was a kid or games I did beat and want to see if I can beat them again, mostly old NES games. As for shutting myself off, I simply don't look for any info on new games. If there is something I am looking forward to I will search for that specifically but I tend to avoid advertisement of any kind.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

95% Retro

5% newer stuff that is most likely a indie title

That 5% only really applies to quality indie PC titles and the occasional PS3 titles.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

95 % retro (or vintage if you like, mr. frenchman) - by which I mean anything for the N64 or before, but in reality I mostly play NES games.

4 % newer. Some odd NDS/PSP games (altough often re-releases and such of retro titles), and a random PS3 game once every blue moon.

1 % new. By which I mean Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors. Haven't purchased a current gen console or nuthin'. I used to play a lot of FIFA until a year ago, but then I kinda stopped. Go team!

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    95% Retro

That 5% only really applies to quality indie PC titles and the occasional PS3 titles.
    100% toss nugget.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    95% Retro

Witcher is very much not indie .

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I do in fact shut myself off to most everything new, as well as "retro-esque" indie-shovel-shit-ware. There are a select few titles that I pick up every time a new one is released like Bethesda games, Atlus games and Pokemon, but everything else is overlooked. I realized recently that I don't have the elasticity to learn the new games anymore and am simply not interested.

Your definition of the term "retro" is incorrect. You are referring to "vintage" actually. Retro is something new with elements of the past, like the huge insurgence of indie games that I mentioned above. Everybody has a Rogue-like, everybody has a puzzle adventure and they come by the dozen every week.
    Hear, hear! I missed this post. I wholeheartedly agree on the 'retro' and indie crap. While technically correct, it really buggers me that people refer to indie-shovel-shit-ware (as you so elegantly put it ) and titles with a real budget and design goals with the same term.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 7th-September-2016 at 14:50.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

99.99% current gen stuff.

I very rarely go back to a game I've beaten years ago to beat it again.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 7th-September-2016 at 16:54. Reason: +r

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm probably around 50/50 fwiw. Love old games, love new games. Lots of both to play.

Thanks

I play anything that is "good" to me. Sometimes I feel like play old games and sometimes (most of the time) I like playing newer titles. I really love BF4 but I do like playing Pokemon Fire Red or some Mario.

Overall, the game just needs to be "good". I put it in quotes because everyone has a different opinion on what is good.

Thanks
    EP Points

Most of the games i play are retro
    but i do play new games every now and then
    "What the f*** were you gonna do, laugh the last three to death, Funny-Man?"

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Freshwater View Post
    100% toss nugget.
    Have some more paint chips gyp.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    Witcher is very much not indie .
    Who said it was because I sure didn't.

Hear, hear! I missed this post. I wholeheartedly agree on the 'retro' and indie crap. While technically correct, it really buggers me that people refer to indie-shovel-shit-ware (as you so elegantly put it ) and titles with a real budget and design goals with the same term.
    It annoys me when "Indie" is used for shovelware garbage that has no effort put into it whatsoever, quit giving the term a bad rep.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.