Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask save issue.

Thanks

Default The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask save issue.

Hey guys, first time posting here.
    So I downloaded "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" N64 ROM and progressed to the part right after saving the monkey. However, recently I got a new computer. I transferred my save file from the old computer to the new computer, but when I opened up the ROM, I was in a completely different location in the game, with different items, different rupees, etc. It's like the save file was read differently somehow. The only difference I can think of is that my old computer was windows vista and my new computer is windows 10. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and get my actual save file back?

Thanks

Hello there. in the emulator there should be a game saves folder or in the specific rom. possibly a snap shot depending on the system. just open up the file and have a hunt around untill you find a save section it could be logs or snaps. compare to the old pc if different just replace from old to new. im tipping it could be in the emulator package seperate from the actual rom. i hope this makes sence and i hope it helps. let me know how you go. might pay to look at creation dates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reece Parsell View Post
    Hello there. in the emulator there should be a game saves folder or in the specific rom. possibly a snap shot depending on the system. just open up the file and have a hunt around untill you find a save section it could be logs or snaps. compare to the old pc if different just replace from old to new. im tipping it could be in the emulator package seperate from the actual rom. i hope this makes sence and i hope it helps. let me know how you go. might pay to look at creation dates.
    The save is located in the emulator package and not the ROM itself, but I can't read the pj1 file either way. It doesn't open on my computer with any software I have. I am sharing the file on my old computer and accessing it through the network connection on the new computer, so I don't see any reason why the files should be different. If I could read the files perhaps I could find something. I've tried multiple ways of getting the file from the old computer such as emailing it, transferring it through a hard drive, all coming up with the same problem.

Thanks

i cant understand why you cant copy and paste the pj1 file as a replacement for the new p.c. is the emulator being accessed via the networking or is it installed on the new p.c

Thanks

i cant understand why you cant copy and paste the pj1 file as a replacement for the new p.c. is the emulator being accessed via the networking or is it installed on the new p.c
    I tried accessing the emulator via the network AND installing it on the new pc, both still end up with a save that doesn't match what I copied over. Therefore I don't think the emulator is the problem.

Thanks

maybe its just a case that the save file wasnt created properly in the first place i guess. the only other thing i can suggest is redownload the emulator and re install and transfer all saves.if it happens then it never saved properly. going through a network creates too many variables.

by the way are you using project 64 v2.0?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 21st-August-2016 at 08:23. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

maybe its just a case that the save file wasnt created properly in the first place i guess. the only other thing i can suggest is redownload the emulator and re install and transfer all saves.if it happens then it never saved properly. going through a network creates too many variables.

by the way are you using project 64 v2.0?
    It's weird because the save file still works on the old computer. If I start the emulator on the win7 computer and load the save file everything is normal, but when I transfer the save to the new computer nothing seems to work and it gets ("corrupted"?). I am currently using project 64 v2.3 but I have tried other versions as well.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pomegranite Seed View Post
    It's weird because the save file still works on the old computer. If I start the emulator on the win7 computer and load the save file everything is normal, but when I transfer the save to the new computer nothing seems to work and it gets ("corrupted"?). I am currently using project 64 v2.3 but I have tried other versions as well.
    Are all the paths correctly configured on your new computer? It might be looking for the save in the old location.

Edit:

You could try making a save state on your old computer, transfer to your new computer, then if that works, save as normal.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 21st-August-2016 at 14:23.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    Are all the paths correctly configured on your new computer? It might be looking for the save in the old location.

Edit:

You could try making a save state on your old computer, transfer to your new computer, then if that works, save as normal.
    I'm pretty sure the file path is configured correctly. When I remove the save from the save folder and try to load it, it says the save cannot be found, so it's checking in the right spot. The save I have right now IS the save from the old computer, which I transferred to the new computer, however it is not identical for whatever reason.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

try what jack mentioned and create a save state on the olde comp and load it with the new comp

save states are totally different than in game saves, though there is no reason that the in game save should change from one machine to the next so I think you are getting confused as to what file is what

if you try the save state option though do make sure the versions of the emulator match as save states do record the state of the emulator as well as the state of the ram the game data is stored in

also if you create a manual save state i.e. save state as.. you will know the exact file you created and where you stored it, so there will be no room for confusion.

P.S. pj1 is a save state not an in-game save by the way, so you need to create a fresh save state file

in-game saves are either going to be memcard saves or game cart saves (there are a few formats) depending on what the game used this game uses the game cart to save directly to, the format is *.fla (*.FLA) in PJ64 save format

you are looking at the wrong files that is all, or this is what I am presuming, if not though no idea, but save files don't change when accessing them via network vs local access
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-August-2016 at 15:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

it has to be a different file. maybe search in the folders for the right file. it has to be the newest one. try and search all of your files for the right .sav.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rul View Post
    it has to be a different file. maybe search in the folders for the right file. it has to be the newest one. try and search all of your files for the right .sav.
    PJ64 does not use .sav files at all

As I said it has several save types all use there own file ext and none are .sav

PJ64 Native save types
    .mpk = controller pak memcard
    .fla = cart save (FlashRAM)
    .eep = cart save (EEPROM)
    .sra = cart save (SRAM)
    .pj# = save states, # = the number of the save state 1 to 9 I presume, used in this thread was .pj1

What the games actually use
    EEPROM (512 bytes), 4X EEPROM (2Kbytes), SRAM (32Kbytes), FlashRAM (128Kbytes), and the Controller Pak (256Kbytes)
    some games may still use olde password systems also on the N64
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-August-2016 at 10:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    try what jack mentioned and create a save state on the olde comp and load it with the new comp

save states are totally different than in game saves, though there is no reason that the in game save should change from one machine to the next so I think you are getting confused as to what file is what

if you try the save state option though do make sure the versions of the emulator match as save states do record the state of the emulator as well as the state of the ram the game data is stored in

also if you create a manual save state i.e. save state as.. you will know the exact file you created and where you stored it, so there will be no room for confusion.

P.S. pj1 is a save state not an in-game save by the way, so you need to create a fresh save state file

in-game saves are either going to be memcard saves or game cart saves (there are a few formats) depending on what the game used this game uses the game cart to save directly to, the format is *.fla (*.FLA) in PJ64 save format

you are looking at the wrong files that is all, or this is what I am presuming, if not though no idea, but save files don't change when accessing them via network vs local access
    I'm 99% sure that Project64 is loading the save file from somewhere other than the save folder. When I removed the save file completely and left the save folder empty, I was still able to load the save file, save it to other slots and load those as well, etc., all while the save folder was still empty. Would anyone know how to go about looking for the actual folder that the save is located in, or why Project64 would NOT look in the designated save folder? Any help would be appreciated

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

easy do a search on C:\ for *.fla

path should also be in the emulator settings, default is the save folder though (N64 Auto save)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-August-2016 at 14:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    easy do a search on C:\ for *.fla

path should also be in the emulator settings, default is the save folder though (N64 Auto save)
    The .fla file is located in the save folder, but there is no actual pj save file. weird