Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS Vita hacked: full system access enabled for homebrew

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS Vita hacked: full system access enabled for homebrew

Ever since its 2011 launch, PlayStation Vita's security has remained relatively intact. We've seen a bunch of PSP emulator exploits, and around a year ago, a native Vita exploit was released for an older firmware that required the unit tethered to a PC. Now, hacking collective Team Molecule has released a new exploit that fully unlocks the full power of the Vita hardware for homebrew developers.

Dubbed HENkaku, the exploit is preposterously simple to install. Just ensure that you are running the latest firmware 3.60, then visit a specially prepared website to activate the exploit. The injected code removes the Vita's file system from its sandbox and allows users to access it via FTP. From there, homebrew packages can be transferred across and run on the unit.
    Read the rest of the article here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...on-vita-hacked

I'll absolutely not be updating mine, I'll leave it disconnected and unused. I might finally get some use out of that 64GB card with CFW on the damn thing.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

hope it's simple and easy to do and SNES emulation works perfectly since if it does my Vita TV and regular Vita will be my go to emulation stations from now on

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just installed it on my VTV . I'll bust out my extra whenever games require updates past 3.60.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

updated both my vitas to 3.60 and waiting for good emulators and a good emulation fontend, here's hoping we get Retroarch

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It should go without saying but, I'll say it anyway . I advise anyone that decides to run this turns off all the automatic updating, media streaming, etc.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, I might just shut off wireless on the Vita for the time being
    I just hope whatever future games I order don't have some weird updates on them that'll block this.
    I want this for emulation and emulation only.
    I have no interest in pirating Vita games

heck I'm waiting for Soldner X-2 and Oreshika to arrive in the mail now.
    I FINALLY found the Egnlish, physical version of Oreshika for only $45 with shipping to Macedonia where I live, so here's hoping it arrives safely given how rare and difficult to find the game is

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Excellent!

That is all...

Thanks
    EP Points

It's been that long since I've switched my Vita on the battery is completely flat.

Thanks
    EP Points

(thay've got to be asteroids!)

is an interesting read, may dig out the slab at some point. (can't recall ofw version off top of, do know it doesn't exceed 2.60.)
    it's a good progress...
    still would need to find a vita user mc (variant of $0ny's m2) with a decent size at a fair price.
    otherwise, no point at the 4g it has.
    vita telly is where it's at for this job.
    vita with hardly any user capacity is only good for a user extension of upnp compatible devices.
    i'll put some feelers out for a 128g user mc thing, scared of what the price feedback will be, and if it's too high, it's a writeoff.
    (custom apps are in the pipe potentially, and that's a damn good look-in for now.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Well a 64GB card set me back around £65 from CEX this time last year.

Thanks
    EP Points

getting similar price tags on the feedbacks, just over double for the 128g card.
    bollocks to it!
    not worth the trouble and co$t of the internal memory card...unless third parties pick up the tab producing it?!
    doubt it very much though, $ony didn't let m2/ms go without a fight, and nothing else other than vita gear uses em.

still keeping eyes peeled, and won't pay over 80gbp for a 128g when i can get a productive generic 4t platter for a raid stack, and that's overestimating the price for a single harddisk nowadays.
    can get at least a t in statics, usually as mc's and usb cards.
    atm, cost to return ratio conflicts with common sense in my brains.
    won't update ofw either, screw that for a game of soldiers.
    [edit]
    correction.
    Last edited by amiga1200; 31st-July-2016 at 12:31.

Thanks
    EP Points

Tested a bunch of games I own and compared them to hardware, since my SNES is pretty much always hooked up because it's an amazing console!
    Only game that required extensive tweaking was Yoshi's Siland, funny since I've been replaying it on SNES as of late

I tested some more obscure titles I own like Do-Re-Mi Fantasy, Hagane, Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2, Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure and the shmup, Cotton 100% and Rushing Beat RAN(Brawl Brothers but I own the Japanese version with the superior sewers level), Gambare Goemon 2, Super Aleste(Space Megaforce) and something else I can't remember atm and compared them to hardware. For the NTSC-J and US titles I used my US SNES, for the PAL ones my PAL SNES.
    All worked beautifully at
    - 333Hz
    - 60fps limit
    - no frame skipping
    - disabled VSync
    - disabled smoothing
    maybe some had some minor skips and audio stuff but nothing major from what little I tested
    I chose this configuration because I felt it's least battery consuming
    I'm SO happy I can play these games with no frameskipping as even a single frameskip in old games sometimes bothers me since I play them so much on hardware I know what they're like, even tho I often play them slowed down on my PAL SNES
    Still I feel it's best if you use 444Hz of course.
    Whirlo - or whatever the Japanese title is, since I own the Japanese version was best played at 444Hz as 333Hz gave me slowdown when there were lots of enemies on screen

I then proceeded to test some more popular games I own and could compare to hardware
    - I noticed that Sparkster had some pretty noticable slowdown at times with the above configuration but 444Hz fixed that for the the first two levels I tested.
    - Yoshi's Island requires some tweaking and frameskip set to 1 but it is playable enough
    - Kirby 3 sadly isn't playable at all, I didn't even need to compare it to the real thing, I own the SFC version, no amount of tweaking could make this beautiful game run at even half decent framerate and speed
    - TMNT Turtles in Time runs beautifully at 333Hz
    - Final Fight 2 and 3 both run beautifully at 333Hz with the above set up but 444Hz is of course where it's at for all games

I also tested some obscure games I want to buy but are isnanely expensive at the moment, I'm unable to compare these to hardware, they all ran very nicely
    - Undercover Cops - 333Hz - ran very nicely
    - Rendering Ranger - requires 444Hz otherwise it's pretty bad, 444 was great for the first level I tested
    - Ghost Chaser Densei - ran very nicely at 333Hz from what I played, one of my favorite beat em ups btw
    - Magical Pop'n - ran nicely at 333Hz

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been playing Earthbound casually on my Vita for the last day or so, got about 5 hours of playtime before I had to charge (444mhz, was at half battery when I started too!), with screen smoothing on you get a solid 60fps everywhere, during boss battles it drops to 49-50fps, completely playable though. GBA games are doing fine with the very slight tests I've done, will report more once I can.

If you own a spare Vita/PSTV, try it out! It's by no means a replacement for something like a Shield TV or Amazon Fire TV or Raspberry Pi, but since Refurbished PSTVs are $30 US on Newegg right now, it's well worth the money.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All the games I tried run fine graphically, but I am horribly disappointed with the audio emulation for every emu. SNES, Gen, SMS; just terrible.
    Unless it improves, I can't play these.

Thanks
    EP Points

what was you expecting?
    the hanging gardens of babylon, herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically by?
    WIP.
    give it time, plenty of time. (still in beta stage.)