Thread: Slowing down to 13FPS on very powerful hardware?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Slowing down to 13FPS on very powerful hardware?

Playstation 1 emulation via PCSXR, and really it is only 1 game this happens with - C-12 Final Resistance.
    Because i use a frontend for every platform together with artwork etc etc i don't really want to be changing too much with PCSXR it's self as it carries settings to other games.

Does anyone know what the issue could be or is it simply one of those games where the emulation of it is not 100%? Below is a screenshot of it, nothing is happening on screen and is running at 25FPS from 30FPS normally.
    In heavy action i saw it drop as low as 13FPS where it is unplayable.

Intel XEON E5640 4.46ghz * 8GB 1700mhz Kingston * ASUS P6X58D-E * GeForce GTX 670 2GB SC

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Probably the Xeon processor. They were intended as server CPUs and emulators tend to rely on the CPU rather than the GPU. Since they lack integrated graphics processors, that is the likely source of the slowdown.

I had ePSXe running on a 1.6GHz quad core Intel core duo, it worked adequately since it had the intel GMA chipset. But, I never tried that game for comparison.

Edit: It's not listed here, so compatibility could very well be an issue.

Warrior would recommend Retroarch, which you may want to try since it can emulate so many systems. It could easily replace your current frontend as a new all-in-one emulator. It is also touted as the most compatible emulator for PS1.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 28th-July-2016 at 07:44.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    ]
    Warrior would recommend Retroarch, which you may want to try since it can emulate so many systems. It could easily replace your current frontend as a new all-in-one emulator. It is also touted as the most compatible emulator for PS1.
    Just admit it that you would recommend it too.

I own that game the OP wishes to play and it works flawlessly in the Mednafen PSX core, you are going to need a "modern" CPU or you are going to be dissapointed.

This is no where near BSNES requirements so you may be in the green.

If you need any help setting it up then feel free to ask.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just so you all know a XEON is no different to a Core i series CPU, it is simply the better part of the silicon wafer that the Core i series are also cut from, they are highly binned and will withstand more, and last longer, that's what makes a server grade CPU. It's just named XEON and get's an extra instruction set or two that are useless to Core i series due to binning. It's in a consumer motherboard and running way beyond stock speed of 2.66 at 4.46ghz, this CPU in single thread is faster than a stock 3960X.
    Emulators rely on intruction set's, that is all, if a processor will process it fast then it will process it fast, this comes down to single thread performance.

Also thanks for the comments, i also don't mean to come across as calling anyone stupid that's far from it, i'm trying to help you help me

I will attempt other emulators using my front end since it allows the use of others
    Intel XEON E5640 4.46ghz * 8GB 1700mhz Kingston * ASUS P6X58D-E * GeForce GTX 670 2GB SC