Thread: Softmodded WII - Lost SD card!

Thanks

Default Softmodded WII - Lost SD card!

Hi, I haven't used my softmodded wii for some time now and pretty much forgot what I need on my sd to get USBloader to work.

I lost the SD card I had and need to know what files has to be on it for USBloader to work.
    If anyone could just tell me exactly what I need on the SD card that would be great stuff.

Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

do some google-fu for the apps.
    THEN, get an sd card, format it in fat32, and create a root directory for the apps, the archive for usbloaders MAY come with an example: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. ^^ the above is an example.
    also, keep in mind, homebrew channel is to be on the sd card too, it's frontend program loader.
    there's a channel cIOS/wad archive that's likely to come with the usbloader archive, BUT i don't recommend messin about with that til you get reacquainted with wii mods.
    yes, make sure you have the homebrew channel on the wii, so it can see any apps on the sd card.
    CAN work with usb cards, just NOT tried that side of hbc kickoffs personally.
    1, homebrew channel has to be working on this modded wii.
    2, use above instructions on wii application directory locations, same for usb devices too.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2016 at 15:57.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SD card is not even required for any USB loader

You can run everything from a USB HDD (USB flash drives can also work but not as well as a USB HDD)

You only ever need an SD card to mod the console to start with after you no longer need it

I will instead ask what you currently have on your Wii and figure out the best way round getting everything working from that point

P.S. Please be patient with me I don't get a chance to be that active but I am usually on at least once a day.

P.P.S. the Homebrew Channel is installed onto Nand not SD (Nand is the Wii's internal storage)

Personally I don't use the Homebrew Channel but instead have a forwarder to run the USB-Loader from USB but either works, everything else I run directly from USB one way or another even Wii Ware is ran from USB via a virtual Nand that most USB Loader can use now and other forwarders installed onto virtual Nand to handle emulators and other homebrew to avoid having to go through the Homebrew Channel, but I will start small
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2016 at 16:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I have no idea what you mean, sorry. Haven't done this for so long

I need the homebrew app on my SD card? Also I don't remember what apps I even need nor do I understand what you are referring to.

Please if you could be a bit more articulate and dumb it down for me would be appreciate lol

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kakrn View Post
    I have no idea what you mean, sorry. Haven't done this for so long

I need the homebrew app on my SD card? Also I don't remember what apps I even need nor do I understand what you are referring to.

Please if you could be a bit more articulate and dumb it down for me would be appreciate lol
    The Homebrew Channel is never ran from an SD card, just a one off install from SD card then the file on SD card is no longer required as it is installed to the Wii's Nand

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hi Zorlon,

I specifically remember having to have something on the SD card for USBloader to work. If I try using USBloader now it just resets to the home menu screen.
    I've done all the softmodding steps previously, so don't need to do anymore of that I hope.
    I need to know how to get my USBloader to work again, thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

@ Zorlon.
    true, BUT the app HAS to be in one location or another, AND can be loaded from the sd, the op is bang on. (i do this, but have disk images on usb too, with a backup of the sd card volume on the harddisk as common sense dictates.)
    @ op.
    check this joint out: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. there's others, like gbatemp...
    just format the 'device' (sd card as per op) in fat32.
    after that, create a directory at the root of that called 'apps'.
    THEN the application directory (usbloader in this case) goes there.
    the application directory will have a '.dol' file, it's executable, the usbloader app itself.
    good luck.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the quick replies!

Thanks for the wiibrew link but I still don't know what I'm suppose to download on this page. If you could just tell me EXACTLY what I need to download and place in the apps folder of my SD card, all will be well.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

okie dokie!
    web: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. [edit]
    forgot one, gbatemp: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kakrn View Post
    Hi Zorlon,

I specifically remember having to have something on the SD card for USBloader to work. If I try using USBloader now it just resets to the home menu screen.
    I've done all the softmodding steps previously, so don't need to do anymore of that I hope.
    I need to know how to get my USBloader to work again, thanks
    Read Post #3

I can take you through everything you want correctly without you randomly going through stuff and avoid bricking your Wii
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2016 at 16:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok, getting really frustrated.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong.
    I use to be able to just open the USBloader app and my HDD games would work.

I downloaded usbgx to my SD card like you said, went to Homebrew and loaded it but it didn't do much.
    What else am I suppose to have on my SD card?

Thanks, and sorry for the frustration

Well that's what I want too, I don't want to be installing everything from the beginning because I've already done all that, I really dont want to make a short process long.
    I just need to know how to get my USBloader to work and sort out what is suppose to be on my SD card.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2016 at 16:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

sadly, despite the 'long waste of time way' the short way also fails.
    it was explained above, a few ways.
    all i can put out, is visit a wii specific site if the above instructions fail.
    i know i can't spell it out further than i've tried.
    the sd card/usb device is to be formatted in fat32....
    the rest above is history.
    something is up with the wii, or the media/preparation?!
    dead sorry, at least others are on standby to assist, never had this much run-in on wii apps ever...
    [edit]
    typo.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Download and extract the Wii attachment at the bottom of this post.

You should have an apps and wad folder, copy them to the root of your SD card. It should look like this.

Go to your Homebrew Channel and select usbloader_gx, if that works, you can exit and install a forwarder channel so you don't have to go through the homebrew channel each time you use usbloader_gx.

To install the forwarder channel, follow this Youtube video from 7:45 - 9.00, ignore everything else on the video. Once you reboot your Wii, you should have a channel on your home screen that lets you load your USB loader.

Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey, thanks!
    I'm sorry for the late reply I gave up after a bit, but now it's working fine.