Thread: [Nintendo NES] Super Dodge Ball - 4 players hack doesn't work?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [Nintendo NES] Super Dodge Ball - 4 players hack doesn't work?

Hello. The game Super Dodge Ball on NES is the American version of the game Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu released in Japan on the Famicom system. In Japanese version, there was a possibility to play from 1 to 4 players in the Bean Ball game part of this game. In Super Dodge Ball, there is only a possibility for 1 or 2 players.

An hacked version of the rom Super Dodge Ball exist to restore the ability to play 3 and 4 players mode [Hack by Aka v1.0]. I tried it, i can see in game the option of 4 players is there, i configure my emulator fceux to play with four score, and i configure all 4 controllers. But while in game, player 3 and 4 controls do nothing.

After some searching with internet, i found that Famicom and NES four score was not wired the same way, and some changes should be done for this option to work properly. But i couldn't find what changes should be done exactly. I don't know, maybe someone found a solution for it? Anyway the hacked version is probably there since a long time, so i doubt it will have any update to fix this issue.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Famicom 4-Players Adaptor
    NES Four Score

are the two that I know of to allow 4 players

tried another emulator??

P.S. some hacks are aimed at real hardware using a flash kits so may not of been tested via emulation during the creation of the hack

I will have a personal look though when I get some time to do so
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-June-2016 at 08:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the message. After reading your message, i got an idea to try something, and i finally found the way to use it on fceux. But the hacked 4 Players version of the game wouldn't work on a real NES console however, unless it get a new patch to fix the issue. So the issue isn't really solved but for those using emulator to play, there's a solution i found. For anyone interested in the solution, i had to go to Config>Input, and to the "Famicom Expansion Port" to choose "4-Player Adapter". Look simple, but i used to try with activating Four Score for NES (it's an NES game so...), but it didn't work. The only way i found to make it work is by using the Famicom Expansion Port 4-Player Adapter, even if it's an NES game. That's why that hacked version of the game wouldn't work on a real NES console. But if there's an update of the rom to fix this, i'll keep it, cause for now, it's like that rom was half for the Famicom, half for the NES.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Probably just a JP to US port and translation with 4 player removed because of the conflicting hardware methods, the mod obviously just re-enabled that but without fixing it to work with the US 4 player method

On real hardware via a flash kit most JP games work as much as US games, some of the Famicom exclusive features vs NES though do not copy over though due to lack of hardware support

Unless you have some hacking skills or find enough notes on 4 player NES vs Famicom then it is not going to be that easy to mod the rom correctly, though you could get lucky I guess.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

My hacking skills are limited, the only thing i'm able to do is to create PSX game shark code. Other than that, my hacking knowledge are 0 ^^'' Good things i play on emulator, otherwise, i would have to wait that someone else want to make this hack for the rom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

I found this ...Famicom uses different IO ports for its 4 player adapter, so it won't work. It's possible one or a few Game Genie codes could fix the problem.... Super Dodge Ball
    Notes:
    Rom Name: Super Dodge Ball (U).nes
    System: NES
    Patch: sdb4players.zip
    Version: 1.00
    Hacked by: akadewboy

Thanks to this Game Genie Code: GEUOLZZA (http://www.rahga.com/nesgg/) and
    a little hex editing I was able to hack 4 player mode back into the game!
    I don't think there are any bugs, but I havn't tested this extensivly yet! "The Japanese version of Super Dodge Ball was able to support four player games by plugging an extra pair of controllers into the Famicom expansion port. When this game was transalated for release in countries like the United States, Nintendo did not yet have a four player adapter for the NES. To make up for this, Technos Japan re-coded one of the menus of the bean-ball game, limiting it as a two-player game. This Game Genie code provides removes this limitation.

After select bean ball mode, simply press down 2 or 3 times to use the hidden menu items for "3 Player Game" and "4 Player Game".

In order to play these games on an NES, you must re-wire your NES Four Score first.
    Last edited by killapinke; 14th-June-2016 at 08:59.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup that is the 4Player hack we are talking about....

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]