Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ridiculous video game let-downs

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    Why would you play the sequel to a game you disliked too the point of dropping it?
    Everyone says it was the best in the series. Oh and found it in a bargain bin for $4.50 so yeah.

It does have its moments though.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 23rd-July-2016 at 16:20.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From a story perspective I'd agree, not so much on gameplay .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Asura's Wrath. Stupidly, over-the-top epic battles all through the game, great protagonist, really cool story, good art everything had me super into it. Beat the boss and I'm fuckin' excited, ready for some sort of bad ass, insane, world shattering ending....Nope, you find out you haven't settled a damned thing and you get slapped in the face with a "To be continued..". I mean, god-damn that was disappointing. And having the true ending as DLC has to be the most annoying money grab in gaming history.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Homeworld 1 Remastered

How do you fuck up the remastering of a classic space RTS? Well, you let Gearbox do it, apparently. Force the first game into using the engine of the second, thereby breaking a lot of the functions, missions failing to go to the next stage constantly, multiplayer became a horrid joke, salvaging completely nerfed because even to this day after a huge patch the ships still don't work correctly, all kinds of behaviors totally destroyed...

But hey, at least it came with a copy of the original game, so if my disc ever gets damaged, well, I have a back up. And speaking of fucking up classic RTS games...

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition

You like playing online? Well you won't here, because desyncs are common place (every patch they swear they fixed it and every time they lied). As are crashes, which is funny because all they really did was add in wide screen and suddenly the game became rather unstable. Then they decided to go about "tweaking" all of the balance and added in new units... only to make things more unbalanced anyway. But wait, they broke tech trees somehow as well for months! Then they added in a new civilization as a DLC, but instead of making loads of new content they just reused old assets while making the Chinese so broken and unbalanced that there's no point in playing as anybody else! Then they added in some of this stuff to the base game as a means of telling you that you cannot use this new pantheon, use these newly added (not newly made, just newly added) maps in multiplayer and a new map size unless you buy the DLC! You know, because why not shove your broken, unbalanced nonsense into our face in the vain hope that we'll buy it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Homeworld 1 Remastered

How do you fuck up the remastering of a classic space RTS? Well, you let Gearbox do it, apparently. Force the first game into using the engine of the second, thereby breaking a lot of the functions, missions failing to go to the next stage constantly, multiplayer became a horrid joke, salvaging completely nerfed because even to this day after a huge patch the ships still don't work correctly, all kinds of behaviors totally destroyed...

But hey, at least it came with a copy of the original game, so if my disc ever gets damaged, well, I have a back up. And speaking of fucking up classic RTS games...

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition

You like playing online? Well you won't here, because desyncs are common place (every patch they swear they fixed it and every time they lied). As are crashes, which is funny because all they really did was add in wide screen and suddenly the game became rather unstable. Then they decided to go about "tweaking" all of the balance and added in new units... only to make things more unbalanced anyway. But wait, they broke tech trees somehow as well for months! Then they added in a new civilization as a DLC, but instead of making loads of new content they just reused old assets while making the Chinese so broken and unbalanced that there's no point in playing as anybody else! Then they added in some of this stuff to the base game as a means of telling you that you cannot use this new pantheon, use these newly added (not newly made, just newly added) maps in multiplayer and a new map size unless you buy the DLC! You know, because why not shove your broken, unbalanced nonsense into our face in the vain hope that we'll buy it.
    Somebody's drunk. The controls in the second game are massively improved from the clunky mess of the first.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    Somebody's drunk. The controls in the second game are massively improved from the clunky mess of the first.
    If you're talking about Homeworld 2, then I have to disagree. I'd almost go so far as to say that entire game fits into this topic as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You go from tedious and sometimes redundant feeling controls and UI in HW to controls and a UI that never feel like they're getting in the way in HW2. I love the series and Homeworld is my favorite but, the controls stink.

Thanks
    EP Points

Newbie here, haven't really posted or stuff but... i just wanted to say, growing up with megaman x, beating them all and then running into x7 was unpleasant, to say the least. so years passed and i thought i'd give normal megaman a try and i beat them all from the first to the seventh one, aaaand then i ran into 8, which somehow managed to annoy me enough to stop playing, with only its audio (megaman's voice still haunts me). at least Capcom sorta apologized by having X8 not suck (much), and making 9 and 10 good
    "Maybe you should come inside the box, then you'll know what I mean" Naked Snake (Big Boss)

Eastern USA, and loathing the coming issues.
    Thanks
    EP Points

Final Fantasy XIII has to be my biggest gaming let down of all time.

I was pumped. It was different, but at that point it needed a different style of game to resurrect it from the ashes of XI, which it hadn't succeeded in with XII. Then we get a fully linear story until you get to a certain part, where if you didn't do it exactly right half the time you couldn't get past FUCKING ODIN, because HOPE IS A WORTHLESS LITTLE BITCH WHO WON'T DO SHIT RIGHT, and GOD.

But yeah. They made up for it in XIII-2 and LR imo, so eh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soultrix View Post
    Borderlands (PS3). Picked it up about a year ago and started up a long on-going co-op with a house mate of mine, and while it was ok, I just got fed up of the boring fetch quests. We did play it to completion and for a lot of the game, my mate had an attachment on his character that negated the need to pick up any ammo, or pretty much heal often as it would auto regen. I had to ask him to get rid of it in the end as it just made the experience a bit shitty. In hindsight though, it probably would have been better with us increasing the difficulty further from the off. I got a bit few up of the sparse environments too and the general graphics, while quite interesting weren't overly great.

I'd started up Rage recently which has a similar world and fetch quest thing going on and it incidentally has put me off again.
    I bought Borderlands 2 when it came out because of all the rage Borderlands had received even though I had never played it. I loved Borderlands 2, one of my favorite games of all time. A few years ago I picked up Borderlands on Steam for like $5 or something will all DLC, I played it for like 2 hours and I just couldn't do it anymore. Everything seemed so much more of a hassle, the classes seemed worse (particularly Siren was utter crap), no minimap was utter crap, and it just seemed blah.

Now I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Division. I remember a pretty big portion of the Destiny community thought the Division was going to steal away a lot of players. Instead, the Division was even more repetitive with the exact same missions repeated in each different zone of NY. The whole concept of a cover-shooter went to complete shit at higher levels once it took like 3 entire clips to kill one enemy, with enemies non-stop spamming grenades, and getting one shot by any shotgun/sniper no matter how tanky of a build you ran. After reaching max level (30), you had to grind dark zone level, which was lets run in a circle for hours killing enemies on spawn. And then the incursion launched, the games version of a raid. Although I never played it because I had already quit the game by this time, it was glitchy as fuck, extremely high level, so much that you could grind for like a weeks worth of playtime and still massively struggle, and those people that took advantage of the horrible glitchiness to skip portions and try and earn themselves any piece of better gear, were being permabanned instantaneously.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Borderlands is an experiment in tolerance for bullet sponges.

It would seem that no one else plays lame MMOs .

Thanks

Siren is great, what problems did you have with her?