Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous video game let-downs

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default Ridiculous video game let-downs

So, I have realized, as the years have passed, that I'm pretty seldom disappointed by video games any more. It's mostly because I pretty much never play any new releases 'cept for the annual FIFA edition (aswell as Dynasty Warriors, before KOEI got all lazy and dumb); but there's also the fact that I'm usually forewarned about a game being crappy by reviews, the lot of you, crazy old ladies on the street etc.

It's not to say it never happens, I usually avoid reading about games that I'll want to play no matter what and I still haven't fully recovered from just how bad Suikoden IV and Tierkreis were. Ted having an argument with a fucking ship can only make up for so much. Still, that was a decade or so ago and I honestly struggle to come up with more recent examples. Actually, I realize it probably has more to do with the fact that I usually don't expect anything special from any given games - unless it has the words "Fire" and "Emblem" in the title, in which case you know it'll be grand - than me checking review-scores, but whatever. In any which case, we're walking seamlessly towards the fact that something just pissed me the hell off, and it's about a game I haven't even tried yet.

See, I was gonna check if someone had translated Langrisser III or V yet. No one had, as it turned out. Lazy hackers and whatnot. But then a weird title caught my eye. "Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei", it read. Saywhat? "Surely another dumb chinese MMORPG or something", I thought. But no, lo and behold, it was a real title. Outside the main series, sure, but still... a real title! And - what the hell - it's already been released. IN ENGLISH.

Cue goosebumps.

I was like "ONGONGONGONGONGONGONGONGONGONG" and then I watched two minutes of a youtube video and after that I wanted to kill something. It. Looks. Fucking. Horrible. First real title in almost 20 years, first english release since '91 or whatever and bobblehead wars is what I get? Rage, and so on.

Anyhow, feel free to share similar experiences or, like, tell me about dreams you've had about different error screens or whatever.
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 17th-May-2016 at 00:37.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

For me the biggest let down was legacy of kain soul reaver. I had gotten to the last dungeon. It was showing me all these cool cut scenes leading up the final battle. The final battle (which at this point I didn't think was a final battle) was a piece of cake and I follow Kain into a portal only to be greeted by this random guy who talks about my destiny then.....

Spoiler warning:

To be continued

Up to that point I don't think I've ever played a game that ended like that. The sad thing is that there will never be a resolution to that series. All we get is a left 4 dead style shooter, which if I recall correctly is having the servers shut down soon. Oh well. Suppose we can look forward to the Nosgoth racing game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

When I first heard about this crossover years ago, I had grand visions of demons summoners invading an FE world, or being able to use the various classes for demons... or at least some kind of post apocalypse setting, maybe akin to SMT4. Instead I get modern day Tokyo Persona type bullshit with idols and character from that otaku pandering bullet to the back of the head to the franchise Awakening. And to think I once wanted to get a Wii U just for this game...

Dragon Quest IX

A game that is just a mishmash of concepts from previous games with no personality of its own, exemplified by the fact that the main character is made a blank canvas just so you can customize them. Yeah, it's neat that you can get outfits from previous game characters to make your dream team... sorta... but they lack any personality of their own. Anything that makes them special. Combine that with a story that I couldn't find myself even beginning to care about and an annoying ganguro fairy that I wanted to murder faster than you could say HEY LISTEN and you get the first game in the franchise that I've actually abandoned, which is no small feat since I've played the first two Dragon Quests, complete with excessive grinding, at least half a dozen times now to completion.

20XX

I love the Mega Man X series. This game looked almost exactly like the earlier X games. It sells itself on being something for Mega Man fans and roguelike fans (I also happen to like them as well). I quickly bought it, installed it and played it, thinking that I would have a grand ol' time. An hour later despite my trying to justify that I was merely expecting something unreasonable and poorly comparing them to actual X games I refunded the game. I wasn't going to sit there and force myself to play a game I didn't enjoy until I couldn't get a refund just to sate my desire to "be fair" when everything just felt WRONG in the pit of my stomach and the back of my head. On every level the game was either flawed or didn't do it for me, every choice made just seemed to annoy me until it all just made me say no more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Eh, happens sometimes.

Most recent would be Dying Light.
    Played the whole game through until just before the last mission, then put that on hold and did a heap of other stuff for some trophies and also some co-op for fun.
    Then I did the last mission.
    Spoiler warning:
    Basically it was full of cheap deaths even with good gear etc. You have to run through nearly all of it and throw the odd flare for distraction, then you get to the final boss and it's just QTEs
    I had read that the end wasn't cool, but hadn't read any detailed walkthough for it nor watched any vids so I died a lot until I figured it all out.

Besides that last mission I really enjoyed the game, and The Following DLC. Haven't finished all the parkour challenges and I haven't finished Bozak Horde.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Resident Evil 6 was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to blast more Africans/zombie things in the face like I very much enjoyed in RE5.

Thanks
    EP Points

Uh-oh cue the big RE5/6 debate!?!?!

Also. FF13

Thanks
    EP Points

RE5 companion AI was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to blow that stupid bitch away and never see her again

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Walking Dead series 2, just wasn't anywhere near as good as the first.

Thanks
    EP Points

Darksiders.

For some reason I thought it was an rpg, then I played it for 20-30 minutes and realised it wasn't.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Resident Evil 6 was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to blast more Africans/zombie things in the face like I very much enjoyed in RE5.
    So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Walking Dead series 2, just wasn't anywhere near as good as the first.
    And no

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    So much this.

And no
    No was just a mockery.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

When I first heard about this crossover years ago, I had grand visions of demons summoners invading an FE world, or being able to use the various classes for demons... or at least some kind of post apocalypse setting, maybe akin to SMT4. Instead I get modern day Tokyo Persona type bullshit with idols and character from that otaku pandering bullet to the back of the head to the franchise Awakening. And to think I once wanted to get a Wii U just for this game...
    I managed to avoid that bullet, sort of. Since I've never really played any of the Shin Megami games I didn't expect much to begin with. I was a bit amused by the fact that Draug's in the game, but I suspect it was more about picking a couple of different character types than anything else.

Edit: also, I want you jerks to be more upset with the whole bobblehead wars thing! It's almost like you don't care about the Langrisser series. Almost.

Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 17th-May-2016 at 00:56.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Langrisser? Is that a type of food? Is it tasty?

Oh wait, you must mean WARSONG!

Thanks

Default Mega Man Battle Network 4: Good, bad... Disappointing...

The biggest video game letdown of my life would probably be with Mega Man Battle Network 4. The game has some nice music, although a lot of tracks get repetitive for a while. I have to say, it's hands down the weakest soundtrack in the series. The graphics are okay, although they've got a massive downgrade from the previous games. However, that game made me HATE backtracking. Why? Let's just say that that game is backtracking incarnated. And the story... Man, the story... It's the worst story I've ever seen. Basically everyone's an idiot and nobody gives a damn about the second main threat of the game: A gargantuan asteroid coming to Earth led by God himself in the form of a NetNavi incarnated into one of the cheapest final battles that you'll ever see and experience in RPG history. The game also has a lot of filler segments that serve no purpose other than to be filler segments. The tournament setup serves basically no purpose to the main story, except for the last 2 possible tournament opponents late game. The grammar is also abysmal, there are typos everywhere and there are so many other mistakes as well, such as lines being spoken by characters that should not be speaking, and many others. And to think that I played that game 3 times while trying to 100% it... Let's just say that it did the same thing as Mega Man X7 but to a different subseries. The only reason it sold so well was because the previous entry was amazing, so it was basically the biggest disappointment to the fans of Mega Man Battle Network 3. It's one of the most selled Mega Man games ever. It's honestly kind of a guilty pleasure to me, despite all what I've said before. Mega Man Battle Network 5 was ok, it had okay graphics and much better music than before, although the game sold miserably. That's just how much of an impact Mega Man Battle Network 4 did to the series. That series wouldn't get back to its former glory until Mega Man Battle Network 6, a fan favorite among a lot of people. It also has online multiplayer support!

*ahem*

Sorry for the massive wall of text, I just wanted to express my feelings about that game.
    Last edited by ThatOneNetBattler; 26th-May-2016 at 01:49.
    AquaMan MVP

Drip!

Thanks

Borderlands (PS3). Picked it up about a year ago and started up a long on-going co-op with a house mate of mine, and while it was ok, I just got fed up of the boring fetch quests. We did play it to completion and for a lot of the game, my mate had an attachment on his character that negated the need to pick up any ammo, or pretty much heal often as it would auto regen. I had to ask him to get rid of it in the end as it just made the experience a bit shitty. In hindsight though, it probably would have been better with us increasing the difficulty further from the off. I got a bit few up of the sparse environments too and the general graphics, while quite interesting weren't overly great.

I'd started up Rage recently which has a similar world and fetch quest thing going on and it incidentally has put me off again.
    Fancy listening to a new gaming podcast? Have a listen to our show The Ban Hammer Podcast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIuLhCEW3Rc
    Episode 13: Tokyo Gameshow 2016 [Casual Gaming Banter]