Thread: help building a desktop

Thanks
    EP Points

Default help building a desktop

Hey I'm looking to build a desktop (duh) but I've got no idea as where to start. Could someone point me in the direction of a person or group that could give me a selection of parts to add to a base desktop of some kind on Ebay or Amazon? I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

P.S. If you can could you provide a link?

Thanks
    EP Points

Are you looking to build just a general desktop or a gaming computer? <code>http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/</code> This link may help you build a gaming computer if that's what you're after. It will also help us if you could tell us what you intend to do with a new desktop, are you looking for anything in particular regarding PC specs?

Thanks
    EP Points

Also knowing a price range helps

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can find kits on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com that will show you basically how to build once you have your parts. Do your homework on CPU socket, RAM bit-rate, Voltage needed for your Power Supply, Expansion Slots for your video card, etc. Figuring all this out on your own is fairly difficult, but it will greatly increase your knowledge. Considering you won't be buying it from a shop with customer service when things go wrong you definitely want that knowledge to help you fix things, clean out viruses/malware, and optimize the configuration for games, etc. Also, avoid Windows 10 like the plague, as there is no point in knowing how to remove malware when your OS is entirely spyware.

Note to LeftyGuitar: Square brackets, and any http address should work as a link with no code added here. or not. only some as you can see tigerdirect didn't link.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 30th-April-2016 at 02:27.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    You can find kits on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com that will show you basically how to build once you have your parts. Do your homework on CPU socket, RAM bit-rate, Voltage needed for your Power Supply, Expansion Slots for your video card, etc. Figuring all this out on your own is fairly difficult, but it will greatly increase your knowledge.
    Excellent advice.
    Do give https://pcpartpicker.com/ a visit to get started.
    Regards,
    fireblaster_lyz

Help in setting or using ePSXe? Get all the info you need using the ePSXe Configuration Handbook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fireblaster_lyz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by fireblaster_lyz View Post
    Excellent advice.
    Do give https://pcpartpicker.com/ a visit to get started.
    That looks like a great resource. I had help picking parts for this 4 year old PC, and I learned a lot by trying to find upgrades only to learn that these were high end parts at the end of their life cycle. Very hard to find a new CPU that will fit my socket, the video card that will crossfire with this APU isn't available, etc. Definitely learned more from that than I did assembling it from parts my brother picked.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.