Thread: FF: CC on Dolphin local COOP via VBA?

Thanks

Default FF: CC on Dolphin local COOP via VBA?

Hello,
    as already mentioned I try to play Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles via Dolphin and 2 VBA Emulators. I've got a BIOS file for my GBA.

This is how far I got until now:
    1. Start FF:CC
    2. Dolphin: Port1 is Standard Controller, Port2 is GBA
    3. With my GC Controller connected to my PC on Port1 I start a new Game and select "Multiplayer-Mode"
    4. Start VBA twice
    5. Load in one of the VBA the GBA BIOS file
    6. The first GBA connects to Dolphin and is ready, so that I see the background of FF: CC on my VBA Emulator
    7. Load the other BIOS file with the second VBA, it starts but does not even try to connect to Dolphin?

Some information:
    Emulator:
    - Dolphin 4.0-6112
    - VBA

Dolphin Configuration:
    - no plugins

VBA Configuration:
    - Pause when inactive - unchecked
    - Options/Gameboy Advance/Use BIOS file - checked
    - Options/Link/Type -> Gamecube
    - no plugins

Hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-5820K 6x 3.30GHz, with Hyperthread

Mainboard: GigaByte GA-X99- UD3, Socket 2011-3, ATX, DDR4

RAM: 4x4GB

Graphiccard: Radeon R9 280X, 3GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort

Power adapter: Super Flower Golden Green HX 80Plus Gold - 550 Watt

Operating System: Windows 7, 64-bit

Questions from [READ ME FIRST]:
    Which plugins you're using?
    - none

Have you tried an alternative ISO/ROM of the same game?
    - yes

Or have you tried any other emulators?
    - no, because I heared Dolphin is the best.

I am able to play until now every game withoput FPS drops, always 59-61. So I dont think the hardware is problematic.
    Can someone help me so I can play local coop FF: CC? Please!
    A step by step instruction would be nice!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/04...rt-march-2015/

4.0-5899 - Update GameCube to GBA Link Emulation and VBA-M r1235 - Preliminary Update for GameCube to GBA Emulation by skidau
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Requires DSP-LLE for Players 2 - 4 to connect.
    Prerequisites to setting up GBA <-> GameCube Emulation

DSP-LLE Dumps from a GameCube or Wii may be required for some titles. While DSP-HLE will work, DSP-LLE will experience higher compatibility and more stability. This may not matter in most titles, but in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Animal Crossing, many features will not work without DSP-LLE.
    Game Boy Advance BIOS is required for most titles. Any game that connects to a GBA without a game running requires a GBA BIOS in place. The easiest way to dump a GBA BIOS is through a GBA Flashcart.

When those two things are in place, you must configure both VBA-M and Dolphin to connect to each other. In each VBA-M Instance, you must go to the file menu and select "Connect to..." and select GameCube (Dolphin.) In Dolphin, you select "GBA" under each GameCube Port you're using as a GBA under controller configuration. Startup Dolphin, and get to the point where the game wants a GBA connected, and then bootup the GBA BIOS (or game; if it wants to connect to a game.) Connectivity should ensue, and if all goes well, the emulators will sync up and communicate to one another.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Was a nice advise, but now DOlphin freezes when I load the BIOS for my VBA and VBA freezes with annoying repeading sound :/
    any advise?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Well afaik DSP-LLE (Dolphin) requires better hardware specs. Maybe that's the problem now but I honestly don't know
    I'm not really an emulation guy...only some emus for older systems on PSP, DS and Xbox consoles (which is all pretty straight forward really). I have a real Wii console that is hardmodded.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I hope that isnt the problem because my tower was really expensive :/
    But still thanks for the help, maybe someone will read this thread and give any mroe advise? ^^

I've got an another question. So i have an adapter for my GC Controlelr to connect it to my Wii U/PC by mayaflash. The adapter works perfect for smash.
    Is there a guarantee if I'd buy 2 Gameboy Advances with 2 linkkabels that it would work perfectly?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-March-2016 at 20:31. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Okay, finally I get it to work
    I'll post here all my configuration so that other people can enjoy the game as I do!

What you need:
    - Dolphin (I have 4.0-6112)
    - 2x VBA(I just downloaded it 2 times, so that I have 2 VBA programms, it works better for me with 2 VBAs)
    I have for VBA and Dolphin a pretty new Version

Dolphin Configuration(the essential so that FF:CC should work):
    Configuration/General/Framelimit -> change it to at least 60, even if the game runs originally in 30 fps the game will run in about 15-20 if you change it to 30Framelimit(I change it even to 120Framelimit and always have 28-31 fps)
    Configuration/Audio -> DSP LLE Recompiler(second from above), DSP HLE emulation works fine either but with DSP LLE Recompiler I have less sound distribution

VBA Configuration:
    - Emulation/Pause when inactive - unchecked
    - Options/Gameboy Advance/Use BIOS file - checked
    - Options/Gameboy Advance/Configure here you can choose the BIOS file under the tab "Boot ROM"
    - Options/Link/Type -> Gamecube
    - Options/Link/Local Mode - checked
    - Options/Link/Link at boot - checked
    - Options/General/ Throttle - no throttle
    you need to have a dumbed BIOS file for GBA(try googleing for it)

The 2 VBAs are for the instruction called VBA1 and VBA2
    Step-bystep-Instruction for first time using:
    - Start Dolphin(under Controlls Port1 - whatever you are using and Port2 GBA)
    - start FF:CC
    - choose "load game" or "start new game"
    - choose "Multiplayer-Game"
    - change the Port1 under Controlls to GBA
    - start VBA1 and load his BIOS file
    - the first VBA should be connected, now save a state while he is connected
    (the screen should look like this:
    http://www.nintendo2000.de/ngc/ffcc/fflink5.jpg
    but the text say "Look at the TV-Screen")
    - now you close VBA1 and open VBA2 and create a savestate while he is connected
    - close VBA2
    this should be enough as provisions

Now the step-by-step-instruction to play the game normally:
    - Start Dolphin(under Controlls Port1 - whatever you are using and Port2 GBA)
    - start FF:CC
    - choose "load game" or "start new game"
    - choose "Multiplayer-Game"
    - change the Port1 under Controlls to GBA
    - now start VBA1 and VBA2(you can have it already started)
    - now load the savestate you created with VBA1 in VBA1 and the one you created with VBA2 in VBA2(I'm not sure if it works the other way)
    - both should be connected now(maybe wait to maximum 15 seconds)

Remember to assign controls for the VBAs because you are controlling the VBA that controls Dolphin
    If one of you is the first player(blue background on VBA) only the controls for the first player work so be sure that you have for each of you controlls assigned because sometimes while you are loading the

I save my game manually ingame by chossing "save", im not sure how good it works if use the "Save-anytime-Option" by Dolphin^^
    already played the first and second level just with little sound issues and fps drops by 1-2
    Have fun if it works!