Thread: .cdi in dreamcast?

Thanks

Default .cdi in dreamcast?

Sorry to bother you folks, I found out today my Dreamcast has been lost, and I cant afford the money to buy a new one yet. So I turned to emulation, I tried every emulator there is out there, and after many hours I finally got demul to run my .cdi image of Record of Lodoss War, the problem is that instead of playing the game it just shows the music player

I remember on the physical Dreamcast, you had to make .cdi to self-boot, is it the same with emulators?

Also what other Dreamcast img files are there besides .cdi and can I find them on this website?

I just want the emulator to be able to run games and save easily like Zsnes emulator for example if its possible.

Thanks folks.

EDIT: I was thinking of running the self-boot Utopia .cdi and then swap disc as a possibility... but demul doesnt have swap disc option does it?

EDIT2: I figured out how to swap... but even Utopia self-boot comes out as music player, so I am out of ideas
    Last edited by GM Otomon; 2nd-March-2016 at 23:40.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Have you tried NullDC?

I don't think you need utopia.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Have you tried NullDC?

I don't think you need utopia.
    Yes I have, like I said in the post, I tried every emulator.

The problem with NullDC is that when I run the game, it plays the Dreamcast Logo, then it shows Sega Logo and just gets stuck there....
    Last edited by GM Otomon; 2nd-March-2016 at 23:54.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Well I checked the demul compatibility list and Record of Lodoss War is there, both PAL and NTSC-U versions are listed as playable. I can't seem to find an English FAQ on the official site though (think it's Russian)

Zorlon will probably see this thread at some stage and help you.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Well I checked the demul compatibility list and Record of Lodoss War is there, both PAL and NTSC-U versions are listed as playable. I can't seem to find an English FAQ on the official site though (think it's Russian)

Zorlon will probably see this thread at some stage and help you.
    Yeah I checked that list before just to make sure, I also change the BIOS to Pal since the download did not specify which region but got the same result...

Hopefully Zorlon will save the day as usual

EDIT: Just downloaded and ran Evolution, it actually played, but the graphics were so messed up that it looked like that banned episode of Pokemon 0_0
    Last edited by GM Otomon; 3rd-March-2016 at 00:12.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For emulation

cdi format yes
    self bootable required yes
    gdi format yes (but region setup must match the gdi image/GDI is a raw dump of the original GD-Rom media)
    Utopia is useless

For NullDC grab the latest version 1.0.4 r150 from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?66669
    You will also find a link to the homepage of demul that is the other Dreamcast emulator that you can use

Note Dreamcast emulation is far from perfect just yet though, but the GameCube had a few ports of Dreamcast games like Evolution Worlds

There is also another Dreamcast emulator but you do need the developer version of C++, the emulator is Reicast that was originally designed for high end android devices

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    For emulation

cdi format yes
    self bootable required yes
    gdi format yes (but region setup must match the gdi image/GDI is a raw dump of the original GD-Rom media)
    Utopia is useless

For NullDC grab the latest version 1.0.4 r150 from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?66669
    You will also find a link to the homepage of demul that is the other Dreamcast emulator that you can use

Note Dreamcast emulation is far from perfect just yet though, but the GameCube had a few ports of Dreamcast games like Evolution Worlds

There is also another Dreamcast emulator but you do need the developer version of C++, the emulator is Reicast that was originally designed for high end android devices
    Well Evolution did not require me to make it self-bootable, I guess it was either already patched, or some games dont required that.

Is there an easy way to make a .cdi file self-bootable?

And pretty sure I got the latest for both of those emulators...

I know Evolution was ported to GC but they stripped down a lot of the content, and the main games I want to play on DC is Record of Lodoss and maybe D3 if possible.

I actually did a lot of searching online, and saw a bunch of posts of you saying, there is nothing like playing the games on actual hardware lol hope I find my DC someday

Took a picture of what it looks like when it turns, maybe someone has an idea what plugins to change to fix it, saw a video of Sonic Adventure running almost perfectly:

Name:  evolution.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  95.4 KB
    Last edited by deadlegion; 5th-March-2016 at 19:34. Reason: merged posts

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes but it's not an easy task you would first need to convert the cdi images into data files and a cdda track making sure you have the ip.bin and boot file, then rebuild the disc image from scratch hacking the boot file and ip.bin files correctly

P.S. the easiest way to tell is to look at the cd image structure, if it has 2 or more sessions then it is selfbootable aka a mil-cd

For nulldc you may not as the latest version they have officially is an older version they stopped making windows binary files but kept up the code for a while after just never compiled it into a windows binary file

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR