Thread: ok, I've seen plenty of Sonic hacks/mods but....

Thanks

Default ok, I've seen plenty of Sonic hacks/mods but....

If this doesn't go in this folder/forum/whatever, I apologize.

Now I've seen plenty of hacks of Sonic titles and even fan made sonic games that were pretty much built from the ground up. But what I was wondering is if anyone has ever thought about making a Genesis rom version of 4 Ep1 and 4 Ep2.

I bought both for my 360 (even bought clothes for avatar) and enjoyed them both. I enjoyed Ep1 more so (I seem to be the only one). But, all good things must come to an end. Especially when that end comes in the form of the ever frightening red ring of death. My arcade games are now lost. And that makes me sad.

So I got google points and bought them again for my kyosera Android phone. But as luck would have it, my favorite level from Ep1 has been replaced with a single slot machine and instead of it being a platformed level, it's now just a race of pure luck of the draw. Thank you Sonic Team......You killed my happiness (Best friend: "YOU BASTARDS!"). And on top of that, after about 5 to 10 minutes, the thumbpad part of the screen starts to become unresponsive.

Now I understand that the graphics of 4 are part of what made them so entertaining (especially when it came to my favorite card flying level) but with me at least, it wasn't the ONLY selling point. I found the game play extremely addicting.Speed running Splash Hill Act 1 is one of my faroite activities to kill time with.

But anyways, to get back onto subject. Would any of you programmers who are much more educated with this stuff than I ever have the thought of rewriting Sonic 4 Episode I and Sonic 4 Episode II as Genesis roms? Has enough time passed where Sonic Team and Sega would no longer care? And even though it would probably go against your morals of making a good game, would you guys be willing to leave in the terrible physics that are in the XB/PS arcade versions?

At second glance I believe that this DOESN'T go here. This SHOULD be in Everything Emulation, correct? If an admin can move it there I would be greatly appreciative. Or if not, I can delete this and copy and paste into a new thread over there.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 1st-February-2016 at 17:11. Reason: posts merged

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Wii has a WiiWare version of Sonic 4, but just the first episode as the hardware was too low?? for a WiiWare release of E2 or found it too complicated to program it for Wiiware or something anyway it was just E1 on the Wii

Sonic 4 E1 and E2 are also PC games via Steam

P.S. you do not need to be a programmer to hack the Megadrive (Genesis for the US) sonic games there are plenty of tools to do this yourself

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=util...&utilsearch=Go

I was sure there is more than those but they may just be a bit out of date now so not listed there

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/778/ should be looked at for certain

trust me messing on with this stuff is fun if you have the time to do so, something I lack in unfortunately now, but before releasing some nice mods not that I done any of the sonic games as they are just not my thing.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-February-2016 at 14:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

But would it be easy enough for someone like myself who has absolutely no history or knowledge of modding/hacking to be able to attempt to recreate Episode 1 in the old school 2D/16bit fashion?

Outside of using a GS (which has the majority of the codes built in and I've never created my own GS codes) I've never hacked anything in my life.

And if I were to play them on Steam, wouldn't I have to buy them all over again? Would I have to get a Steam subscription? I've never used Steam before so I don't know. I don't have a bank account, nor a credit card and nor do I really want one of either. I like dealing with cold hard cash.
    Last edited by ComaAlpha; 3rd-February-2016 at 18:24. Reason: added questions

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Steam is a payed service obviously you would have to pay

Have a play round before assuming you can't as I said you don't need to be able to code though, they are visual editors

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR