Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is using a ROM or ISO considered "pirating"?

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't not believe people are still asking this question. Let me answer the question so I can (hopefully) stop the question from spreading here.

Okay, first of all, using other a rom or ISO is NOT pirating. Huge difference.

How it's different:
    Spoiler warning:
    Differences between pirating and using a rom or an ISO

*Downloading an image of the game is not pirating. It's a download like any other.
    *Pirating is when you download from a site such as The Pirate Bay. TPB is the home of everything that's pirated. From movies to games, anything you can think of sits at The Pirate Bay. (Wouldn't pay the site a visit if I were you...)

Besides, downloading a rom or an ISO isn't pirating, because if it were, Emuparadise would've been sued for lots of money, just like TPB. It's technically stealing, but what doesn't make Emuparadise meet these criterias is that the performance of an emulator is HORRIBLE with any games past 3,000,000 kbs. Try Final Fantasy. Do you know how much money that game made, and do you know how big the game is? Chances are it's either 3,000,000 kbs or past that. Driver: Parallel Lines is 3,000,000 kbs. I ran it on PCSX2 and the textures were mutilated.

Preformance is what makes gamers buy a game. Good ol' try-before-you-buy. (Don't always use an emulator to test performance. This is why YouTube exists.)

EDIT: This post goes just for North American laws.
    Last edited by The Researcher; 2nd-April-2016 at 05:07.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Researcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher View Post
    I can't not believe people are still asking this question. Let me answer the question so I can (hopefully) stop the question from spreading here.

How it's different:
    Spoiler warning:

*Downloading an image of the game is not pirating. It's a download like any other.
    *Pirating is when you download from a site such as The Pirate Bay. TPB is the home of everything that's pirated. From movies to games, anything you can think of sits at The Pirate Bay. (Wouldn't pay the site a visit if I were you...)

Besides, downloading a rom or an ISO isn't pirating, because if it were, Emuparadise would've been sued for lots of money, just like TPB. It's technically stealing, but what doesn't make Emuparadise meet these criterias is that the performance of an emulator is HORRIBLE with any games past 3,000,000 kbs. Try Final Fantasy. Do you know how much money that game made, and do you know how big the game is? Chances are it's either 3,000,000 kbs or past that. Driver: Parallel Lines is 3,000,000 kbs. I ran it on PCSX2 and the textures were mutilated.

Preformance is what makes gamers buy a game. Good ol' try-before-you-buy. (Don't always use an emulator to test performance. This is why YouTube exists.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Owning the game doesn't mean you can download the ISO/ROM legally, it depends on the country.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

My post (the one about performance and kbs) contains laws for states/provinces in North America A.K.A United States or Canada.
    Last edited by The Researcher; 5th-March-2016 at 23:46.

Thanks

Emuparadise isn't illegal because providing the game for DL is fine so long as the people DLing own the game and they don't actually promote pirates also just because something is illegal doesn't mean it gets taken down tpb has been up forever same with kickass torrents and others that are used to pirate this is because providing a service is not always illegal when using it for an illegal purpose is there are also bylaws that allow games past a certain date to be downloaded moded and what have you after a certain period of time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don't know where the idea that owning a game cartridge means you can download somebody else's dump of it came from, but it is rubbish.
    The only legal dump you can make is by yourself, and that is somewhat frowned upon.

Unless you're going to download huge sets of games without using a secure and privacy-ensured VPN (i.e. one that won't send data back to your ISP) then I wouldn't worry if you're going to download Super Street Fighter 2 to your PC so you can wallop Bison's arse as Cammy again, or whatever you may wish to do with your emulation needs.

Pirating is the wrong term to use, however.
    Cammy,

Owner of 101Gamers.com

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cammygirl192 View Post
    I don't know where the idea that owning a game cartridge means you can download somebody else's dump of it came from, but it is rubbish.
    Explain the bolded bit. I don't understand how whatever you meant was rubbish.

Thanks
    EP Points

Geez.

If ever there was a facepalm worthy thread this is it.

Do some of you know how retarded you sound?

See there's this thing called Google, look up your own countries bloody copyright laws ffs.

Thanks
    EP Points

How it's different:
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks for this post. It was so useful. I really won't make that mistake of "pirateing" anything ever again, especially if I stick to the under 300,000,000 kbs rule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

As someone who's actually worked with ip-law I would like to clarify that I'm pretty sure the thread starter's personal matter had something to do with genital herpes.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    genital herpes.
    Thank you for sharing. (sarcasm)

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you for sharing. (sarcasm)
    Feel free to make use of my sexually related presumptions at any time, mister. (gonorrhea)

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

Pirating usually tends to be of PHYSICAL terms like discs and whatnot (VHS lol), but games are sometimes only sold through net purchases and other non-cash means, so in common sense, people will also turn on self-made copies, or even conversions of products and consider them as PIRATED goods. But are they really?

Many countries differ in their sense on this issue, and some DO consider just having a virtual copy of something as PIRACY, but is having a copy be considered as an act of a PIRATE. If it was, then the internet would be dead (Literally). Although I do get the point that leaking something into the net is BAD for business, you should consider if there is ANY business AT ALL involved with such act. Let's just say I had a copy of a game (Physically) then my console that plays the game turned brick on me. I thought "WAIT, I can still EMULATE this game." which I could, but it would require me to COPY/CONVERT the game into ROM/ISO/Etc. Is doing so really be considered PIRACY. No one loses money, no one gains also. Just me preserving my ability to play the game. THAT is definitely NOT PIRACY..... well not to me anyways

How about uploads and mass shared rips? Still, you should consider if MONEY is involved (It's business that matters anyway). No one would pay for copies of games (Both old AND new.... but mostly old) that are either unplayable due to console being PHASED-OUT (Exemption of course for collector valued items) or unplayable due to the console not even existing in their locale merchandisers/market. Why would they buy if they can't play (Duh). If you didn't understand the view point there, then I guess I should explain in simpler, more $$$-friendly terms. EVERYTHING HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE, EVEN THINGS THAT ARE NOT CONSUMABLE. And as an unwritten rule existing in the old or even in modern trade, NEVER SELL EXPIRED (ROTTEN) GOODS. (Even thought this is not applicable to the second condition stated, it's still like trying to sell goods no one even knows what do with. It's better to give it to people who knows what to do with it than to discard it completely though.....personally.)

In short terms, Piracy is only a term applicable to acts where the MAKERS lose money. Well that's me, but meh, there are people who would think I'm wrong.
    (It's been awhile since I last posted, so forgive me for my VERY LONG rantings.)
    Eating cookies while playing a game. One Cookie at a time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

aha!
    irony, given the nature of this joint, but just for the f*ck of it, i'll engage.
    i have no real outlook, sufficed to say:
    1, what the eye doesn't see.
    2, very important, nobody loses revenue, the devs themselves, screw publishers and corps.
    3, for personal use, who the literal flyer has the right to determine that, it's the distribution that's the issue, and it's the only one (rightly so) fairly given credence in court.
    4, wow!
    my ratio at a private house will be incriminating in itself.
    something like 70+up to 8-down with stupid ratio count, plused out!
    not ashamed to share my own retail disks dumped, gotta have QA, even if i assist the 'pirates' by proxy, it's about preserving and making available from this standpoint, i bought the original disks...and many aren't that fortunate.
    5, the net provides, and i do the same in my own macabre way, by my own rulzes. (without breaching any given site mandate naturally.)
    [edit]
    spell check

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by a500+ View Post
    2, very important, nobody loses revenue, the devs themselves, screw publishers and corps
    To a degree, this is actually true. See, shit like being able to create an ISO of a game is what happens when big companies treat their employees like shit. When a company shits on an employee of that company, the employee takes a bigger shit. ISO makers aren't at fault, the employees (at certain times) can be at fault, but not all the time. Sometimes, not even the company. But even companies can do some stupid things. Look at Disney with Star Wars.
    SIG REMOVED - READ THE RULES

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Look at Disney with Star Wars.
    That isn't so bad. I was expecting much worse tbh.

You should look at MTVs The Shannara Chronicles.

Spoiler warning: