Thread: A little help booting Grandia 2 for dreamcast (gdi version)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default A little help booting Grandia 2 for dreamcast (gdi version)

Hi, I downloaded here the game Grandia 2, the GDI version but nulldc doesn't recognize the disc, I haven't tried makaron as for the moment I don't own a joypad, anyway I tested the GDI version of sonic adventure 2 and it did work, maybe the gdi version of grandia 2 doesn't work. Im not sure, well if someone knows how to help me I'd appreciate it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NullDC you will want the last build here (NullDC does not support Windows SE Dreamcast games though, but I don't think Grandia 2 was a Windows SE Dreamcast game though anyway)
    or you can use Demul
    Makaron is just supper outdated, not even sure they ever added GDI support at all

Or you can go with the PS2 version instead

PS2 and Dreamcast emulation or just about on par as far as demanding goes but PS2 emulation has gone alot further than and although it was one the of the first emulators of the Dreamcast it was quickly overtaken by much better emulators ad left in the dust

Edit: tested and Grandia II GDI image boots fine in both NullDC and Demul, do note that the region settings need to be correct for GDI images to boot as they are not region hacked like cdi images

NullDC is still the faster emulator of the Dreamcast emulators and seems to run the game rather well (a few very minor lighting issues others wise just about perfect) demul runs the game but it is still very slow
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-November-2015 at 08:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can avoid Bios hassles by using the region free hacked dreamcast bios not sure if its here but if not il share it.

Your best bet to run Grandia is NullDC, Reicast is the better option but the PC version is severely lacking options for some strange reason.

Guess Il have to try contacting the devs to find out.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Last time I looked at Raciest you also needed the dev runtime drivers instead of the free redistributable ones (I forget what runtime drivers it uses off the top of my head)

Do you know if they fixed that Warrior or if there is a different PC port to work with free runetime drivers

My tablet can run it but it ran rather badly from what I tested with it, admit I only bothered to test What's Shenmue that ran too bad to be playable, I would not say it was a better emulator not yet anyway but it is open source that is nice and does show great promise from a players point of view, still the real thing is still the best way to play for now, but may be a thing of the past the way are going, that is only a good thing

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Last time I looked at Raciest you also needed the dev runtime drivers instead of the free redistributable ones (I forget what runtime drivers it uses off the top of my head)

Do you know if they fixed that Warrior or if there is a different PC port to work with free runetime drivers

My tablet can run it but it ran rather badly from what I tested with it, admit I only bothered to test What's Shenmue that ran too bad to be playable, I would not say it was a better emulator not yet anyway but it is open source that is nice and does show great promise from a players point of view, still the real thing is still the best way to play for now, but may be a thing of the past the way are going, that is only a good thing
    You need

msvcp120d.dll
    msvcr120d.dll
    vcomp120d.dll

In the Reicast folder, if you want them il post em since they are tough to find.

http://builds.reicast.com/

There be the latest windows builds.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post

I think you picked one of the worst games to test

I've tested:
    Gigawing
    Code Veronica
    Sonic Adventure
    Grandia 2

Other than very minor issues they all worked very well. But I guess that's not very on topic. Except for maybe G2 working with it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    You need

msvcp120d.dll
    msvcr120d.dll
    vcomp120d.dll

In the Reicast folder, if you want them il post em since they are tough to find.

http://builds.reicast.com/

There be the latest windows builds.
    that would be because you are supposed to pay for those, they are the development drivers rather than the free runtime drivers, strictly speaking they are very easy to find you buy the dev package from microsoft (the d in the main part of the file name indicates it's from the development version)

but yeah for the sake of testing I wouldn't mind those via PM
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-November-2015 at 19:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep it was a region issue, with the option patching gdrom region the problem was solved, thanks.