Thread: Kega 3.64 is freezing my games video on full screen- also- how to make it start in full screen?

Thanks

Default Kega 3.64 is freezing my games video on full screen- also- how to make it start in full screen?

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

I start the emulator, I press ESC to make it full screen, and the picture is stuck, but the audio is still continuing.

My goal is to click on my shortcut I have on Steam for a specific ROM, and have the game start up in FULL SCREEN, and I'm not seeing a way to do that, and toggling it to full screen is causing the freezing issue. I also would like a way to close the emulator via a keyboard shortcut.

Maybe there's a better Genesis emulator for my needs? I haven't tried another emulator, Sonic's 1-3 used to work great on Kega from what I can remember.

I've tried:

-Going into the .ini file and changing full screen from 0 to 1.
    -Running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
    -I've tried Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

EDIT: Okay, I added -gen -auto -fullscreen into the properties box in the Steam shortcut. I think that worked.

But now I need a way to access the menu so I can save states and load states, but esc is no longer making it small (which is the only way to reach the menu right?), it just closes the emulator completely now.
    Last edited by irrelevant_pelican; 9th-October-2015 at 02:40.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The best Emu for Genesis/GG/MS/SG-1000/Sega CD is Genesis Plus GX.

It can be ran through Retroarch, its leagues better than dead closed source kega fusion.

For 32X emulation you need to use the Picodrive core in Retroarch but other than that it destroys kega fusion.

If you want to know how to use it/set it up/ etc. I can teach you what I know.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Okay sure! I'm willing to try something else. My only hope is that it's like other emulators like Zsnes, Project64, etc. All's I want is something basic and simple that'll start the game immediately in full screen and let me exit the emulator with ease.

So I have to get Retroarch? I got it from here http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.2.2/win-x64/ . I opened up the 7z file and tried to run the retroarch .exe but I got this error http://imgur.com/7odSDOE

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You want the Nightly - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...roArch_full.7z

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Emulator_Files
    Get the Retroarch bios pack offa there is you wish to run games that require bioses.

Put the folder contained in that bios archive in the Retroarch root directory

Use your controller to navigate the menu easier , go to Settings>directory settings>set the bios directory then hit escape to close Retroarch and save your settings.

F on the keyboard toggles fullscreen and F1 toggles the GUI while ingame.

It may seem confusing at first but once you understand the basics you will see its awesome seriously.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Thanks Warrior! Just played some Genesis Plus GX on it! Works perfectly! Thank you so much!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant_pelican View Post
    Thanks Warrior! Just played some Genesis Plus GX on it! Works perfectly! Thank you so much!!
    Glad you are enjoying it.

Did you tinker with anything else like shaders?

You may want to turn on Threaded Video under Video settings to make things smoother.

Thanks

I haven't messed with it too much, I'm really impressed with it though! Everything runs so smoothly, the interface is so easy to use. Much more modern than those old emulators I'm used to.

Does retro arch emulate ALL the old games? For example if I want to emulate Dreamcast games, would I find a way for Retro arch to do it just like I did with Genesis? Or is there a better Dreamcast emulator out there that I shouldn't bother with retro arch for that?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I haven't messed with it too much, I'm really impressed with it though! Everything runs so smoothly, the interface is so easy to use. Much more modern than those old emulators I'm used to.

Does retro arch emulate ALL the old games? For example if I want to emulate Dreamcast games, would I find a way for Retro arch to do it just like I did with Genesis? Or is there a better Dreamcast emulator out there that I shouldn't bother with retro arch for that?
    Reicast is currently in the works of being ported to libretro and when its complete then ywe will be able to play Dreamcast again.

Thanks

Awesome! I have had little success with Chankast and nulldc, so I'm looking forward to it.

Warrior, what do you think is the best emulator for the GBA? Does retro arch work with it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Awesome! I have had little success with Chankast and nulldc, so I'm looking forward to it.

Warrior, what do you think is the best emulator for the GBA? Does retro arch work with it?
    mGBA seems to be the top contender with its accuracy just the occasional game will have slight hiccups like FF6 Advance (until that gets fixed).

For those games just use VBA M or VBA Next, just test and have fun like I do.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Chankast is just too old and outdated

If you want to use NullDC and have problems using it though that I can help with though it does not work with all games and is far from perfect but at the moment is the best all round option, the next best one and it runs a few that NullDC can't is dcemul though both I believe are no longer active as far as work on them goes

NullDC does have a newer versions to what the official site has pre compiled because the last few updates they done had been source code only, so 3rd parties have compiled those but you can find the last one here on the forum in one of the stuck threads (forget the exact thread think it's the files and links one though (I uploaded that myself))

I also look forward to seeing a full speed Reicast for PC, but for now NullDC still runs smoother (Dreamcast Emulation does require a semi good PC to run though anyway)

Currently the best way for Dreamcast games is still a Dreamcast

Saturn Yabause is getting there but you may still want SSF as a backup until they iron out a few things in Yabause that is part of RetroArch

I would take a guess that PSX/N64 and under should be just fine in RetroArch (N64 I would not be sure on as N64 emulation over the years has never been perfect, not for every game anyway but most should run smoothly anyway) Saturn still needs a little bit of work, but that project is very promising indeed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mupin64 in Retroarch is pretty decent, it even emulates the pause screens in Conkers Bad Fury Day correctly unlike PJ64.

If I had any spare funds I would be throwing it at Libretro and any emulator authors that have projects in it since its so damn awesome.