Thread: Looking for new processor for HP Pavilion 531W

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for new processor for HP Pavilion 531W

Hi been while since I've been here, I was looking for someone who can help me figure out what kind of processor I can replace the old intel celeron 1300MHZ processor on my hp pavilion 531w desktop pc with and what kind of performance gain I can expect from upgrading.

The reason I'm upgrading is so I can install windows 7 home premium with out it lagging so hard just to play solitare. Also I'm on a VERY STRICT budget of 50-100 bucks so ya no just buy a new pc, K.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    EP Points

No matter what CPU you put into that board I don't think it's ever going to run Windows 7 well...

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavi...b-40-gb/specs/

Max RAM supported 512MB.
    Fastest CPU it supports is a 1400MHz Pentium 3.

Processors
    Intel Celeron Mendocino (PPGA, 300–533 MHz, 2.0 V)
    Intel Celeron Coppermine (FC-PGA, 533–1100 MHz, 1.5–1.75 V)
    Intel Celeron Tualatin (FC-PGA2, 900–1400 MHz, 1.475–1.5 V)
    Intel Pentium III Coppermine (FC-PGA, 500–1133 MHz, 1.6–1.75 V)
    Intel Pentium III Tualatin (FC-PGA2, 1000–1400 MHz, 1.45–1.5 V)
    VIA Cyrix III/C3 (500–1200 MHz, 1.35–2.0 V)

Can you not use that $100 to get a used PC from somewhere like Craiglist? That PC of yours is just far too old.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well I just want to upgrade it to windows 7 since the original hdd 40gb died and I had to re-install xp but since april 4th 2014 microsoft cut off xp support so now I can't activate it.
    I'm not looking for a mega games pc or a youtube pc, I just want to make sure it can handle a cheap ATI graphics card, a cheap ASUS sound card so I can at least play the first 2 sims without it being in slideshow. If I wanted a gaming rig yes I'd just find a used sata hdd pc instead but I don't. Both cards = 50-100 used/new.
    From the cpu specs you gave very nicely done by the way, It looks like the cpu I have is as good as it gets for the motherboard.

the sound card I'm looking at is a Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card and the graphics is a ASUS XONAR DG Headphone Amp & PCI 5.1 Audio Card, would either of these cards run at least 1/2 way decent with this pc or am I just going to waste money buying these now?
    Last edited by soratron; 4th-October-2015 at 02:47.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FYI soratron you can still activate Windows XP, you just won't getting any new security updates.

If you want a OS that will run on that old hardware give Linux Mint Xfce a try, its the best windows alternative.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'll look into linux mint thanks.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soratron View Post
    I'll look into linux mint thanks.
    I highly recommend it, It is my favorite linux distro and I can do most windows things on it.

the Xfce Mint Destro is made for low end PCs you can try Cinnamon or MATE or KDE as well, no install needed to test,

you burn the disc , pop in in and restart the computer.

Since your PC is a dinosaur its out of the question to be able to run a virtual machine eh?

Thats how I test Linux Distros to see if one sucks or not.
    Last edited by Warrior; 4th-October-2015 at 03:49.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I now would like to know if the cards I mentioned before would work and let me play sims 1-2 no expansions just the games or at least Age of Empires 1-2 with sound, and get my resolution out of 640x480 to 1028x786.
    It can't be that bad of a "Dino'' is I could get it to run grim fandango again no sound flawlessly and 7th level's g-nome. I really would like to know before I buy them.

EDIT: I also have an hp pavilion a345w tower pc 2.6ghz cpu 512mb+1gb ram would that run windows 7 with the two pci cards better? I'm thinking of using the 531w for an office pc instead of a retro games pc the linux mint was a great option. And just so people know I'm not a pc wiz I'm just looking for a cheap solution for an office/old games pc.
    Last edited by soratron; 5th-October-2015 at 06:31.

Thanks
    EP Points

the sound card I'm looking at is a Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card and the graphics is a ASUS XONAR DG Headphone Amp & PCI 5.1 Audio Card, would either of these cards run at least 1/2 way decent with this pc or am I just going to waste money buying these now?
    Massive waste of money since your PC only has an AGP video card slot.

GRAPHICS CONTROLLER
    Form Factor integrated
    Interface Type AGP

Thanks
    EP Points

EDIT: I also have an hp pavilion a345w tower pc 2.6ghz cpu 512mb+1gb ram would that run windows 7 with the two pci cards better? I'm thinking of using the 531w for an office pc instead of a retro games pc the linux mint was a great option. And just so people know I'm not a pc wiz I'm just looking for a cheap solution for an office/old games pc.
    You would be better off and save up 250.00 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135396

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113379

Both of those would be 100, add on ddr3 at 4gb and a 400 watt psu and you could chuck out most of the parts from your hp and rebuild it.
    Its your call if you are serious and ready to move on to windows 7.