Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is to blame for the Nintendo/Sony break up in the early 90's...answer inside.

Matrix Holder Guest

Default who is to blame for the Nintendo/Sony break up in the early 90's...answer inside.

of Nintendo/ Sonys deal to create the ultamate game system way back in the early 90s. " The Nintendo Playstation " it was called.
    This is a huge misunderstanding of the events that transpired.

(for those of you that dont know, here is a little history lesson)
    Nintendo went to sony in hopes of a joint venture to create a CD add on to the super nintendo. i believe it was in 1991 or 92, im not sure, i have the magazine somewhere that had the"breakthrough news". that news.. was that sony and nintendo were to team up and squash the "sega CD system" and other cd based systems that were coming out.

the "SNES playstation" was to be an add-on peripheral that would allow developers to created games that would also utilize the cd to create better graphics for the games. it was to be attatched to the bottom of the SNES ...where that port is , and would be the "next big thing" in games. it was going to help nintendo blow away the other cd based systems that were on the verge of taking over the market.

during the development stage of the "nintendo playstation" nintendo started to develope new technologies of their own that would eventually lead to the creation of the N64, thiw new system that they had in mind would not need a cdrom add-on. Or so they thought. ( fast forward to the late 90s/ ...
    the N64 Hyperdrive or what ever they were going to call it is developled for game enhancements...its true folks, they were going to release a cd add-on to the N64 too... i chatted with the prez of nintendo canada on a radio call in show the after the N64 came out. Nintendo ended up releasing the expansion pak instead, lol)

anyway...Nintendo decided that they didnt need sony anymore, now that they were developing the N64.
    Nintendo backed out of the deal with sony, there was a fine to be paid for breaking the contract... it was the cost of the development of the playstation up till that point.
    nintendo payed it, the two companies went thier separate ways. Sony continued to develope the playstaion themselves and took it to sony in a big way. they killed the super nintendo and the other game consoles out there.

to this day, many hardcore nintendo gamers blame sony for the split, but all you have to blame is nintendo. Nintendos statement on thier decision to stop the "nintendo playstation" is something i will never in my life forget...it was one of the most retarded thing i have read from a company that prides itself on being "ahead of the pack" (that was also a quote from the prez onthe radioshow)
    and the quote is....

"we ended our venture with sony because...well quite frankly...there is no future for CD's in the videogame industry."

Hha ah ha hah aa ah ah aha hah aha ah aha ahah ah ah h a hha ahahahahhaaaaaahaahaaaaa ahahaaaaaa

what a dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

many of you may still have the old EGMs and GamePro mags that have those articles in them. the official playstation magazine also touched on the subject in some of thier mags that looked back on the history of the playstation. look it up. its out there in the web.

thus ends this session of gaming history 101.

Sony is not the traitor. anyone that says otherwise should research the history between Nintendo and Sony before making such statements. and that ended the one and only time sony ever made any hardware for nintendo.
    Last edited by Matrix Holder; 19th-September-2002 at 07:47.

Thanks

I knew that.
    Also, the 64DD (disk drive did come out but only in good old Nihon)
    For those of you who dont know anything Nihon is Japan.

Matrix Holder Guest

did you get the 64DD. if ya did how was it?
    when i talked to the prez if nin canada... he was very sketchy on the stats of the 64dd, he dodged the questions i asked.
    all he said that it would " revolutionize the gaming industry"
    lol, what a tool ,lol

Thanks

I've never seen anyone say that Sony betrayed Nintendo, most people who actually know about the breakup are fairly well informed about it.

Matrix Holder Guest

i read it a few days ago on another board that i came across while surfin the net. and just tonight i read it in the resident evil thread it was posted by Fire. i was wondering how many people actually blamed sony for the split. i hear it every once in a while from younger gamers at comic stores and at gameshops. i educated them aboot it when i hear them say that. i have nothing against fire, i dont know fire. dont know fires age, or if fire knows the whole story therein. nothing against fire.

Thanks

i couldnt be stuffed reading....but nice topic

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Matrix Holder Guest

thanks, a litte education never hurt anyone, lol.
    people deserve to be well informed.

Thanks

thats what i do best

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego

Matrix Holder Guest

i wonder what would have happened if nintendo didnt do such a stupid thing as stopping the creation of the
    Nintendo playstation. what would the gaming world be like today?

Thanks

never heard anyone ever blame sony for it. actually noone talks of it cause that was like... well a long time ago.

Thanks

Well I don't really care, Nintendo have had all the superior systems (btw sales figures do not impress me in the least)

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Nintendo have had all the superior systems? I cannot agree on that. If I'm not wrong, the psx did survive two generation better consoles (N64, Dreamcast) before it started to fade away. That is what I call a superior console.

Thanks

I dont care who broke nintendo and sony up. At least we can be thankful for having all these great systems.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

First off Matrix Holder, your post is nothing new at all. Everyone who's been truly into gaming knows that story. Second of all, who would even care if Sony WAS a traitor. This just smells like more of your pro-Sony propaganda, rather then a helpful history lesson. I dont know anyone on earth who would care about almost 10 year old information that has no impact on today aside from the fact that it led to the creation of the PSX, a very solid and succesful system.

EDIT: After reading everyones response, it seems like noone here really cares about this. It's old news that doesn't matter. Not to us, and it doesn't affect us in any new way today.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 19th-September-2002 at 14:19.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You didn't read Johnny's post aside from the superior systems thing did you? I believe he said that sales figures dont matter to him, and that it's his opinion that Nintendo has always had the superior systems. Oh, and the N64 pretty much faded away about the same time as the PSX started to, so that's really not a valid argument. Though it did outlast both the Saturn and the Dreamcast. Sega had nothing but bad luck with those things.
    Originally posted by crusher
    Nintendo have had all the superior systems? I cannot agree on that. If I'm not wrong, the psx did survive two generation better consoles (N64, Dreamcast) before it started to fade away. That is what I call a superior console.