Thread: Sonic adventure 2 is laggy and glitchy, please help

Thanks

Default Sonic adventure 2 is laggy and glitchy, please help

I'm using nulldc 1.0.4 and the first stage city escape is running slowly and the graphics are skewed across the screen. I've tried multiple graphics plugins and it does make a difference, I'm just trying to find the right one unless there's something else I can do. Appreciate a response.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

nulldc is out of date anyway though (P.S. you also may not have the latest build of nulldc anyway that is 1.0.4 r150 (1.0.4 r136 was the last revision on the official site and there is alot of fixes from r136 to r150))
    demul is a more up to date emulator but will run even slower

lag is more to do with your system though, you can play with the plugin settings and get a little bit of a speed boost but you may also make the graphics more buggy in the process

Dreamcast is as high end as gamecube emulation maybe a little higher as far as system recommendations go

Emulation tends to have a higher requirement than PC games also much higher than PC games of the same age as the console games

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you want proper dreamcast emulation you will have to wait for the libretro/Retroarch team to port Reicast since the beta reicast for PC is very bare bones, no GUI or anything.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Or just get a dreamcast or a Wii

A dreamcast requires no modding to play Mill CD's aka selfbooting games (later versions removed the Mil-CD compat in the US, I have a guide for that though)
    A Wii would need a software mod that is easy enough to install and best to run games from a USB HDD but a USB stick can be usable (the game is a GameCube game)
    There was even a Windows version of Sonic Adventure 2 (2001 release) and that should not need as high specifications as emulation does

Wii/Gamegube emulation may be a problem for you also depending on your system specs but as you have not provided this information it is impossible to give any sort of advice there
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2015 at 07:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well to be honest I'm trying to get it working on a tablet lol I've seen people with the exact same problem I have using a higher end computer

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaconStar View Post
    Well to be honest I'm trying to get it working on a tablet lol I've seen people with the exact same problem I have using a higher end computer
    Only other thing You could try is the latest build of Reicast (that is if you have an Android tablet)

http://builds.reicast.com

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I totally forgot to mention any issues may be due to it being developed by Sega of America, Sonic Adventure 2 is known for its bugs and other strangeness.
    Its kinda under Sonic 2006 in that regard.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaconStar View Post
    For a PC we do need to know what the system specs are

Depends on the Android device specs also, my Tablet can't even run Rreicast at all, due to the CPU (It's powerful enough it's the kind of CPU it has though)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    For a PC we do need to know what the system specs are

Depends on the Android device specs also, my Tablet can't even run Rreicast at all, due to the CPU (It's powerful enough it's the kind of CPU it has though)
    Mine couldn't either since it's Intel but on a whim I tried the latest build yesterday and now it works. You should give it a shot if you haven't yet.

My tab is only a dual core 1.6 with a gig of ram and so far so good. Code veronica is a tad slow but not bad. Also tested Sonic Adventure 1 and except for the tiniest of graphics glitches (sonics eyes weren't quite right) it ran fantasticly and full speed. Even when the Killer Whale is chasing you in the first level there was no pause or slowdown when it appeared. All on default settings. Haven't messed around with anything yet.

Although I must admit it was a bitch to control with a touchscreen

And yeah I know, kinda off topic.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope I have not, so thanks, yeah I'm on intel also though admit I have little interest in playing games on my tab anyway but it will be fun to look at and be able to trouble shoot more for that emulator (I have a little USB port thing I can try out and see if it works for USB HID controllers, the only issue with that is I can't charge and play at the same time and have only used that so far, for external USB storage like HDD USB stick and external SD cards)

P.S. was just testing Sonic Adventure 2 on my PC via Nulldc it ran full speed with minimal glitches a little glitchy with some of the skins being a little flickery but it was minimal though only played a little of the first level after sonic jumps from the plane

Direct32 HAL plugin used
    nullDC Settings enable the following
    Enable Dynarec
    Accurate Mode
    Enable CP Pass
    Underclock FPU
    PowerVR... select the following
    Native
    Stretch
    Dynamic Full
    Triangle
    Normal (Good... ect ect) [there is more accurate options but dont work any better and cause a bit of lag for me atleast]
    D24S8+FPE (Slow ect ect..) [might want to try the setting above that or even the top one]
    Delete old

My PC is not that high end at all, it is low to mid range as far as the specs go... better than a lot of laptops but still not all that good
    Processor: AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
    Available OS Memory: 7388MB RAM
    Page File: 2787MB used, 12023MB available [HDD space is used here]
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7660D (It's just what is built into the CPU but better than what Intel gives you )
    Display Memory: 4192 MB (Total including shared)
    Dedicated Memory: 736 MB (Memory that is just for the display)
    Shared Memory: 3456 MB (taken from the main Memory)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-September-2015 at 08:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]